the cable companies own us...

NOFX

So, I have standard cable and internet hooked up. I live by myself now and I don't enjoy paying a full cable bill every month just to watch commercials 50% of the time, besides you can pretty much watch all tv over the internet anyway.

So, I call to do this and she first tells me I won't be able to get over the air TV on February 17th. I then explain I've been doing it for years with digital TV.

She then tells me it is going to cost $26 to disconnect my TV service. What? I'm not in any agreement with them. I didn't sign a contract or anything. So I basically told her to go ahead and disconnect all my services and I would be looking for a new internet provider. She then somehow made this $26 disconnect fee magically disappear.. I really hate doing business with these type of companies, but I lack other choices when choosing my ISP. all they do is try to squeeze every nickel they can out of you.

my BFF's are the good folks in comcast escalation and retention. they love hearing from me every other week about unsatisfactory service, but somehow i've managed to keep my promotional rates well beyond their promotional period :D

...as soon as that luck runs dry, i'll be an internet-only house. screw tv, screw digital voice. just give me my internets.

...as soon as that luck runs dry, i'll be an internet-only house. screw tv, screw digital voice. just give me my internets.

++;

TV has become nothing but a scam recently... I personally believe it is waaay over-priced. Most of the channels being broadcast are only interested in their commercials. I can flip through the stations at any given time and well over half of them are on commercials... I see that they are providing me with no useful service. I can't watch shows on hulu. Discovery and histroy channel now show their programs on their websites. That's the only two channels I want anyway. If they offered to let me select the channels I want to pay for, I may do it, but I don't want 95% of them.

Pansies.

Anyways, you can get promotional pricing year round if you agree to lock in for a year.

Otherwise, move to the UK where you pay a license to own a TV and get much better programming, all your commercials at the end of the show and a serious lack of censorship (compared to the US).

She then tells me it is going to cost $26 to disconnect my TV service.

If comcast is your ISP then there is a SRO (Special Request Order) you can do that will not cost you any money. It just takes around 2 weeks to get done. If you're nice and if you get the right person, you can downgrade your cable TV and keep the internet without paying the $26. Just ask for a SRO to get the 'trap' put on your line.

just ask for a supervisor or ask to cancel, they will get you better pricing, trust me

FAIL

I work at comcast. When somebody immediately asks for a supervisor it INSTANTLY makes me want to punch them.

And when somebody says, 'I'm just going to disconnect my service!', I immediately ask them when do they want it done. IT DOESN'T NOT WORK. (on most people)

Trust me, there are TONS of people who call in that think if they act like a jerk and saying that they are going to disconnect they will get their bills lowered. The only thing that happens is that they will get resistance from the person answering the phone. They don't have any incentive to waive charges, lower bills, work around the system... The ONLY time the screaming tactic works is if your account shows that your home has had multiple problems with the service.

Here is how you do it, BE NICE to the person right off the bat. You have no idea how many people I've cut bills in half because they were nice instead of rude.

I take 850-900 calls a month. Do you think I would lower someones bill if they treated me like dirt?

\\rant

http://chicagoist.com/2005/08/16/why_does_...ate_chicago.php

I remember reading about this in the paper, and Comcast was basically the only cable provider in my area when I first moved here (newly built neighborhood). They did in fact take away the SciFi channel from the basic cable package and replaced it with some fishing/ sports show. You basically had to buy back the SciFi channel if you wanted to watch it, even if you received the channel prior to the change.

Of course, now we're all transitioning to digital, but back then, I thought it was a pretty rude move. <_<

Comcast gave me the run around a few years ago and I wanted to strangle some people but I had no choice because they are the only highspeed providers where I live. Around 5pm my netspeed would drop from 6mb to 5k-128k, and my UT200k was impossible to play as I would constantly loose connection. It took 3 months of them blaming my house wiring and computer, I must of had 8 tech guys out during that time. Finally the last guy was strait and said the node I was on was overloaded and they were upgrading it next week so I should just hold tight. I knew what the prob was but they just flat out lied the whole time they supplied horrid service, but I did get 1 month out of the 3 refunded to me. If I had another option I would have switched service providers.

Other then that my service with them been good the past 5 years and are always friendly when I talk to them.

Even though I work for comcast, I still hate the company. There are so many shady things that goes on that saves the bottom dollar.

Bushwack, the reason that people thought it was your wiring is because for tech support positions they hire people that have the ability to sell, not troubleshoot.

I am actually being scheduled for termination in March because I do not sell enough product, while my first call resolution is 94%. So even though I fix the problem 94% of the time, I'm still going to be fired.

If anybody needs to know a workaround for midwest comcast, let me know. (east and west coast comcast runs differently)

no dude, I really was going to cancel my service.. I was looking at Verizon FIOS. It's 49.99 a month. For the same speed my cable is 43.95. I wasn't being a jerk at all.. I politely told her that I didn't think I should have to pay $26 to turn off the TV because I wasn't in any agreement, I then asked her not to turn my TV off yet that I would be calling back to cancel all my services because I just wanted to investigate different ISP's first. Well they apparently kept a customer.

Would you really want to pay by the usage of internet? I think everyone on these forums would end up in the higher range for a bill then.

Depends how much they would charge, maybe it doesn't cost them that much and we could all be saving money for only the exact time we spend on the internet. But then that would be like dialup, because even when we arent using the net, we get things like automatic updates for our hardware and software even if we arent home lets say. We'd have to go back to "dialup" where we connect everytime we wanna use it, but at highspeed internet speeds.

I would go on broadband forums and find ppl complaining about your service in your area.

I did this when mediacom (first) crapped out my service by overselling my neighborhood, which meant that during peak times-which is when I game-I had crappy ping and all kinds of p/l.

I eventually got to a thread that a former tech for the company was posting in...he posted the private office phone # of a vice president of our region...well, myself and about 25 other well informed people left exactly the same message about overselling bandwidth.

I'm not saying there is a correlation, but the very next week...our service had been fixed.

Unfortunately, i moved a couple years later, to a a new place with the same problem...about a dozen calls later and 4 service visits...it still sux.

oh well...here are my short hairs.