1920x1080 or 1920 x 1200

Laz.e.rus

Im comparing some monitors (yes, still) and I see great reviews for ones like the

Dell S2409W ($349) 24". The only catch is the dells only go to 1920 x 1080.

Others, like some samsungs (2433BW), are also getting good reviews, but go to 1920 x 1200. ($299)

Is there any difference really in the res's? I mean, Im sure the .dot difference is near unnoticeable, but are there problems running games at x1080 instead of x1200? Or does video look funny compared to one res or the other?

It's $50 less for the Samsung (+ shipping).

Where is the pricebreak for quality? Why should I spend another $50 for the Dell ?(Sell me Cujo).

Is it for the color or brightness that it is worth an extra $50? Or viewing angle?

Personally I would go with the higher resolution, unless your going to mainly watch 16:9 movies with the monitor. On the other hand you can still watch 16:9 movies fine with the 16:10 monitor with little black lines on top and bottom. Physically the a 24" 16:10 monitor will have more real estate then a 24" 16:9 monitor.

But the Dell while being more expensive may just have that much more picture quality. Or maybe not.

It's fairly new for companies to promote PC monitors at 1920x1080 as traditionally any monitor that size would be 1920x1200.

I have to assume that companies are seeing more and more people buy them as multipurpose monitors (TV/Console/PC) which is why they are trying to make them more standard... :shrug03:

Personally I prefer 16:10 (1920x1200) as you get more vertical viewing which is nice when sitting close.

Generally any 1920x1080 content will have black bars on a 1920x1200 monitor depending on the monitor's ability to scale (expect to pay a premium for a good scaler)

so, will most games run at BOTH x1080 and x1200?

Or will I have to scale to a whole diff res if I dont have x1200? I mean if Im trying to play x1200 game on a x1080 monitor, wiull I have to change to a whole diff set of res's?

Urg...trying to say what I mean....

Will it matter to gaming which res I buy really?

And also, thanks guys!

I don't think it would matter to your games - just pick the native resolution of the monitor in the game settings and you're good to go. No different than taking a comp hooked to a 24" 1920x1200 monitor and plugging it in to your 1080p HDTV. As long as you're running native resolution you shouldn't notice any difference.

That said, I'm really surprised the Dell 24" is 1920x1080 instead of 1200. It must be the more expensive one that is 1) gorgeous and 2) 1920x1200

Not sure about the scaling in games Laz.

Ok, here's how I see those monitors. About the only real differences is that the Dell has HDMI but a Display Refresh Rate of 60Hz which really changes that 5ms response time to about 8-10ms (still not too too bad). The Samsung on the other hand, doesn't have HDMI but can do 75Hz refresh rate.

If you have no need for an HDMI, then the hands down winner is the Samsung.

so, will most games run at BOTH x1080 and x1200?

Or will I have to scale to a whole diff res if I dont have x1200? I mean if Im trying to play x1200 game on a x1080 monitor, wiull I have to change to a whole diff set of res's?

Urg...trying to say what I mean....

Will it matter to gaming which res I buy really?

And also, thanks guys!

Valve games will let you pick your aspect ration and so will most new games. Also good bit of info at wsgf to get a non-native ws games to work, well ws.

Still I think the 16:9 monitors are made for the media people and 16:10 for the gamers. Choose your side.

If I were the one buying the monitor, I would want 1920x1200. My laptop has that native res and I love it.

If I were buying the monitor though I would probably spend more for the high-end 24" Dell. Drool-worthy. Probably not worth it to most people though.

boiler, have you looked at the specs? The Dell has nothing over the Samsung. Calling it "high end" seems to be diminishing the level of quality of the Samsung.

All I know is I have actually seen and used a Dell 2408 and it is the best/most gorgeous monitor I have seen. If a Samsung model can offer that same picture at a lower price, then that's fine by me. Is this one of those "Samsung makes the panels" situations, or is it "it's just a rebadged samsung" situation? Making the panels is only half the battle.

When I run games or set windows at 1920x1080 it looks sort of strange, stretched or something. I believe the native resolution of these monitors are 1920x1200.. I'm willing to bet the dell will run 1920x1200, but only says 1920x1080. I once called Hannspree about my 28" and they said I should run in 1920x1080, although it clearly lets me run in 1920x1200 and 1920x1200 looks much much better. I guess it has something to do with the 1080p "term" everyone throws around as HD..

I concur with .fx. On my 28" (pretty much the same as .fx's) 1920x1080 looks noticeably distorted. It was touted as "FullHD|1080P" but what I found out is that this just means it will do at least the 1080P res even though it does above that. Nothing else special about it.

(edited)
When I run games or set windows at 1920x1080 it looks sort of strange, stretched or something. I believe the native resolution of these monitors are 1920x1200.. I'm willing to bet the dell will run 1920x1200, but only says 1920x1080. I once called Hannspree about my 28" and they said I should run in 1920x1080, although it clearly lets me run in 1920x1200 and 1920x1200 looks much much better. I guess it has something to do with the 1080p "term" everyone throws around as HD..

no, it won't. the s2409 is native 1920x1080 and therefore will not go higher. of course your hannspree will run 1920x1080 because it's a lower resolution that native. if it looked crappy that's because it's stretching the image vertically instead of giving you black bars.

there are two s2409 monitors upstairs where i live AND i bought my brother one for christmas. that should say enough about them to anyone on here. of course when those were bought we got a special price at $305 cdn each. there are also two s2309 monitors upstairs which were bought on a one day sale two weeks ago for 159 cdn each. quality between the two is identical so my guess is they are using the same panels.

also, most new games today, certainly all the console ports, should have no problem running 1920x1080 as that's what the run on most consoles.

any monitor that can do 1920x1200 (at least all the ones i've ever seen) can also run 1920x1080 PROPERLY with black bars. if a monitor has a native resolution of 1920x1080 it WILL NOT properly support 1920x1200. it will either be squished or missing. it's all in the pixels people. a monitor designed to run 1920x1080 has no need for the other 120 vertical pixels so why would a company include them?

edit - also, just because the samsung says it supports up to 75hz refresh rate i'd love to see it do that at native res (1920). that's something i've yet to see on a 24". most sites that came up in my google search showed it having 60hz at 1920...

Edited by Cujo

Hmm

I got the dell, installed the drivers....

Using the dvi cable (to my 8800gt)

Screen is pretty, but very jittery. Straight horizontal lines in windows shake badly, verticles are fine. Since Im using DVI rather than VGA input, auto adjust isnt an option.

Also, the options for Horizonatal and Verticle position and Pixel clock and Phase are all grayed out....Dunno why that is.

(edited)

well I stand corrected cujo. I was unaware companies actually made a max resolution of 1920x1080. I'm guessing the actual screen size is different on a 1920x1080 native resolution. Yep, not quite as tall. 1920x1080 would be for a 16:9 screen. 1920x1200 is for a 16:10.

Edited by .fx

Hmm

I got the dell, installed the drivers....

Using the dvi cable (to my 8800gt)

Screen is pretty, but very jittery. Straight horizontal lines in windows shake badly, verticles are fine. Since Im using DVI rather than VGA input, auto adjust isnt an option.

Also, the options for Horizonatal and Verticle position and Pixel clock and Phase are all grayed out....Dunno why that is.

Hrm.. also, since I can't adjsut those things, my screen is a "little" too wide (my icons are off the left and right), and a little too tall (my nav/start/task bar is 60% below the monitor)....and I can't adjust them.

Any ideas anyone?

I tried a different outlet, I guess I could try using vga cable instead, but that seems silly.

It has an auto button, but I cant use it (grayed out option)

It has options to move the screen, but their greyed out too....I might have to try vga cable.

1600x900 Looks BEAUTIFUL!

But 1900 x 1080 is all wiggly and makes my eyes water

FIXT!

Those options are still greyed out (as they should be since Im using the DVI and it self-fixes).

However, I swapped the two monitors' connections. I put the dell's wire to the left (if facing the front of PC, not looking at the rear), and the 19" to the right. Both DVI. For some wierd reason that fixt it and it looks amazing!

So, my Dell is at 1920x1080 (60Hz) and purty, and the BenQ 19" LCD is at 1280x1024 (75Hz).

Yeah, its worth $300.