Quad core advise

DNA

Okay so I have e8400 but I am thinking of upgrading to a quad core. Any suggestions on what Quad to go to if I am upgrading that does not break the bank. What is the best bang for the buck. Is it worth having 4 core even if I lose the speed?

I am putting together a computer for my brother and I am either going to buy him a e5200 or get me a quad and put the 8400 in his computer. He is coming from a athlon 3200+ socket 462, so any upgrade is going to be big for him.

Let me know what you think.

I am also looking at going from a ASUS P5N-D MB to a gigbyte UD3P board, what your take on that one.

I already have my new case...an Cosmos S 1000, I got for $99, what a deal!!!

Thank for your time guys....and gals...

inb4cujo

My only contribution is that the i7 series chips are the enterprise processors from Intel and their consumer chips, the i5 series are supposed to be out in September and are set to outperform the i7's for their cost (unless you're running a database...).

Also, Intel and AMD are both in a fight over patent issues and there's a possibility AMD might be shut down or even Intel might lose the ability to manufacture (and sell) 64 bit capable processors (but thats a whole lot of speculation.)

Ok so what's my point? I'd wait for a bit to upgrade, and not the standard "wait a bit" that everybody always has to say...figuratively wait a bit.

unless you get a really expensive quad core you'll be slower in most things since you're used to 3ghz. i would just get your bro a 5200.

i just switched from an e8400 at 3.8ghz to a i7 920 at 3.8ghz. you likely won't notice a difference unless you do things that require more than 2 cores.

iOk so what's my point? I'd wait for a bit to upgrade, and not the standard "wait a bit" that everybody always has to say...figuratively wait a bit.

I have no idea what that means.

Shaftiel

iOk so what's my point? I'd wait for a bit to upgrade, and not the standard "wait a bit" that everybody always has to say...figuratively wait a bit.

I have no idea what that means.

Shaftiel

Who knows? He's from S.Ontario, where the people are either crazy or worse - french. :stretch:

DNA

Well I am looking at geting a new board so I can give him the P5Q-D board and needed to ram anyways.

I was looking at the q9550 for around $260 and the Gigabyte UDP3 board to replace my Asus board if it was worth while.

So....in the end is it better to get my bro a 5200 and a cheap board and keep my ASUS board and 8400??

Cost 1 = $190 doing the 5200 route

Or

Cost 2 = $390 going to a i7 or about the same if I was to fo the q9550 anyways.

Let me know, I am need to order the remaining parts tonight if possible.

THe low end i7 chip sells for around 280 USD and I've read that it overclocks easily to 3.4~. Just a thought. You would have to buy a new board though as well as new RAM (DDR3) if my memory serves me right.

well mine is easily at 3.8ghz...

btw dragon, very few people in southern ontario speak french. :)

THe low end i7 chip sells for around 280 USD and I've read that it overclocks easily to 3.4~. Just a thought. You would have to buy a new board though as well as new RAM (DDR3) if my memory serves me right.

well mine is easily at 3.8ghz...

btw dragon, very few people in southern ontario speak french. :)

Pffft, 1/2 of Ottawa is french! :P More people speak french in S.ON than live in N.ON :P

Oh, and besides numbers, not sure why you need more than the 8400. I have mine at 3.83 constantly (for the last 5 months or so) and can't imagine spending that much money for a few frames or shaved off seconds. At least not at this point. But hey, if you need to put money somewhere, you can invest in the dragon likes to buy candy stocks. They're always in demand.

Edited by dragonfly

DNA

LOL nice dragon...I will make sure to buy you some Bawls this year.. :P

I went ahead and got the new Gigabyte MB and the 5200, and I will decide which one to keep after I try out both boards.

I went ahead and spent the extra money and got a BFG GTX260 OCX card for $199, what a deal (like $70 off). That should be a nice upgrade from the 320mb 8800gts.. :)

The new Giga MB has some nice OC'n features and should be able to get to 3.6 or 3.8 on air so that is good. Plus I upgraded the Ram to 1066.....