never Western Digital again

bushwack

ya, i'm still waiting on my replacement drive. i even did the advanced. they must have problems right now. my last advanced took like 2 days. it's been 3 weeks for this one.

Details details!!

Was a Western Digital 500AAKS, didn't totally die but when I went to make a drive image it gave me errors. After running WD utility it said to back up and send in. During the same week, i sent a stick on my kids memory off and got a replacement at my door in a week from Crucial. I've had a Maxtor and IBM drives die on me too and got those replaced in under 10 days.

Seems they kept the drive for about a week even before they looked at it according to my emails, I'll think twice before I choose WD again.

Details details!!

Was a Western Digital 500AAKS, didn't totally die but when I went to make a drive image it gave me errors. After running WD utility it said to back up and send in. During the same week, i sent a stick on my kids memory off and got a replacement at my door in a week from Crucial. I've had a Maxtor and IBM drives die on me too and got those replaced in under 10 days.

Seems they kept the drive for about a week even before they looked at it according to my emails, I'll think twice before I choose WD again.

I have that same drive and thought it died on me a few weeks ago, just turns out my mobo decided that it was done supporting SATA as the drive works fine now that I have it in an enclosure...really old mobo btw.

I have to assume because pretty much every 1.5+ Tb drive seems to fail they are a little backed up at the moment.

I've got two of those Bush... not a problem yet. Maybe someday I'll get to be like you. One can only hope.

Yeah seems the longer I'm laid off, the fatter I get. You could use a few pounds.

I did get my drive in today and they were nice enough to send me a 640AAKS replacement.

Shipped via UPS June 29 and got my replacement today July 17. Guess coulda been worse.

I've got two of those Bush... not a problem yet. Maybe someday I'll get to be like you. One can only hope.

Yeah seems the longer I'm laid off, the fatter I get. You could use a few pounds.

I did get my drive in today and they were nice enough to send me a 640AAKS replacement.

Shipped via UPS June 29 and got my replacement today July 17. Guess coulda been worse.

lucky. i got one of the same back.

The 640 any faster then the 500 or just bigger? They both are 16mb. I know the Seagate 320gb 16mb PATA I'm using as a temp drive with win7 seems just as fast as the 500 was with xp.

just bigger.

I've had every brand of hard drive go bad on me except maxtor. Dealing with customer service has been a suckish experience with all but Logitech. When my G5 crapped they sent me a new one without many questions.

I've had every brand of hard drive go bad on me except maxtor. Dealing with customer service has been a suckish experience with all but Logitech. When my G5 crapped they sent me a new one without many questions.

Send your WD HDD to Logitech!

• 2 weeks later...

Why'd you break the first one? Silly goose...

Which drive was it, out of curiosity?

Tru dat...

I've run ONLY WD for about 7 years and have never had one fail...that is outta 8 HDD...

I had a WD 2.5gb drive die on me back in the day. Like only days after the 3 year warranty expired.

Having seen the inside of a hard drive and knowing what they do, it's amazing that they don't break down more often.

Having said that, I've had only one notebook hard drive go bad ever and I've been computing since hard drives were smaller in capacity than the smallest thumb drives now.

:bang: Whoever recommended the Western Digital HHD didn't tell me it was gonna take 3 weeks for warranty replacement. :bang:

I'd just like to say that I recommended SEAGATE

WD just doesn't make drives like they used to--I used them exclusively for a long time, now I use Seagate.

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

my 3 month old 640gb black edition just died. argh!!! that's 4 dead hdds in the last 4 months.

What the heck is going on over there?

Ouch Cujo, that's really, REALLY odd.

stop abusing your hdd's! :stretch: