Pop ups.

Guest InSaNiTy

Guest InSaNiTy
Guest InSaNiTy
Guest InSaNiTy
Guests

Anybody know of any good, free pop-up blockers. If so please include a link. Thanks in advance.

Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guests

if what your talking about is net send messages you need to disable the netsend messenger.

Ok, I need to get this "straight." (pun coming). I have 2 XP machines, and the one, luckily not my gamer, tosses up this grey box with all these lamo advertisements, like penis enlargers, etc, etc, etc. Is that what this is? I used to see them on Mantis when I'd log in there. Never on this pc, only one of them. Anyone know how to get rid of it?

I don't see anything that looks like netsend in the processes.....any ideas?

Ok, I need to get this "straight." (pun coming).  I have 2 XP machines, and the one, luckily not my gamer, tosses up this grey box with all these lamo advertisements, like penis enlargers, etc, etc, etc.  Is that what this is?  I used to see them on Mantis when I'd log in there.  Never on this pc, only one of them.  Anyone know how to get rid of it?

This is what Mossad was talking about.

Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services

Find Messenger. Disable it and Stop it. Then you wont get those pop ups anymore.

Another way to block the Net Send messages (the gray "system-type" pop up messages) would be to block ports 135, 137-139 on your firewall/router. Disabling the Messenger service prevents ALL messages, even the systems ones (such as "Disk almost full" messages and such) while blocking the ports on the router prevent any such messages from outside your network. One catch though, blocking these ports also effectively blocks "Windows" sharing and Network Neighborhood outside your network too.

Sometimes you can unknowningly install spyware (which has pop-ups as well)

The most popular is Gator. Check your add/remove software for it and if you

dont see it in there, check your c:\Program Files\Gator ... delete the Gator

directory.

:ph34r:

Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guests
Disabling the Messenger service prevents ALL messages, even the systems ones (such as "Disk almost full" messages and such)

this is not true, you will still recieve those messages after stopping messenger service. At least with xp corporate.

Moss, when I said ALL messages, I meant all "Net Send" type messages. The system uses the Messenger Service (not to be cofused with Windows/Microsoft Messenger) for informational popups such as Print Notifications, Low Virtual Memory warnings, Low Disk-space warnings, etc. All of these types of messages will stop when you disable the Messenger service.

Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guests

i have it disabled and just yesterday i got low disk space warning. My hd is fillin up with divx movies fast.

Ok, I need to get this "straight." (pun coming).  I have 2 XP machines, and the one, luckily not my gamer, tosses up this grey box with all these lamo advertisements, like penis enlargers, etc, etc, etc.  Is that what this is?  I used to see them on Mantis when I'd log in there.  Never on this pc, only one of them.  Anyone know how to get rid of it?

This is what Mossad was talking about.

Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services

Find Messenger. Disable it and Stop it. Then you wont get those pop ups anymore.

Ok. This is what -svchost.exe was in my processes. Thanks.

I went to Google and typed in 'Messenger', and found a site that walked you through to close it. I don't have any more of them pop up. Sorry, I forget which site I went to, but don't buy anything to stop them from popping up. It can be turn off in the system. Hope this helps.