AvP Demo

[LaW]Maverick

This game sounds like something GC could really get into. Look in the Steam demos section and you will see the new Aliens Vs Predator game demo is out. I'm downloading it now (at work), but might give it a go tonight. It's a multiplayer only demo, but some of the game modes I've heard about sound awesome.

Take, for instance, infestation mode. It starts out with a bunch of marines vs one alien. The alien player kills a marine, it respawns as an alien and now you have two! :-) Sound familiar? *cough* zombies *cough*. Sounds like a blast though!

I was all set to look at picking this up sometime this spring for 360. If GCers get behind this though in a large enough faction for PC, I may be rethinking that. I would probably cry a little on the inside knowing I'm settling for lesser graphics than my xbox could give me though...

I've put the 360 demo in my download queue, unfortunately I don't think my PC will do it justice (if the Star Trek closed and open betas were anything to go by, although I know a lot of people reported performance issues with it).

I do think I need to do a PC upgrade/new build at some point in the near future (as the socket 754 mobo has just died on my wife's pc, I can probably justify giving her mine as a hand-me-down and building new for myself). Both this and Battlefield Bad Company 2 are games I'd prefer to play on the PC rather than the 360.

I thought GC peeps might be interested in this, that's why the banner has the plug for it (hint: if you don't see an AVP background image on the banner, refresh the page - still ironing out some force cache-refresh issues on our end - anytime the banner text changes you should either see or refresh to see a new image)

Again, Steam is down sometime later this evening for a few hours - so grab it while you can.

Does anyone know if the full game has dedicated servers for multi or is Sega doing the "our servers, we'll play matchmaker" thing?

-Fk

Thought I read somewhere it's going to be Sega running the servers, so matchmaking. Could be wrong.

My PC won't handle this, my laptop might but it's almost entirely dedicated to audio stuff these days and my 360 isn't connected to my network (and might not be for a while) so I'd look for it on the PS3...:(

(edited)

Thought I read somewhere it's going to be Sega running the servers, so matchmaking. Could be wrong.

My PC won't handle this, my laptop might but it's almost entirely dedicated to audio stuff these days and my 360 isn't connected to my network (and might not be for a while) so I'd look for it on the PS3...:(

If I end up playing it on this old laptop with 7900gs, then you don't have much of an excuse. Your laptop can be un-dedicated to audio only :peace:

No promises I can get it working well on mine though either...

Edited by boiler

For Boiler... stay with me now :)

In October, people tried to get Sega to say whether or not the game would have dedicated servers or not have dedicated servers. Marketing droids gave non-answers; interpreted as "no"

In November, Rebellion came out and said "Yes, there will be dedicated servers you can run"

That was of course, in November, which is not now, which is February. During this span of time, Sega could have said no, Rebellion could have decided no, all of which is to say outside of that November announcement from Rebellion, we still do not know for sure if there will be dedicated servers for this game - official web sites are very lacking on this point (as far as I can see)

Now, we have the demo - bound to Steam and with matchmaking and no demo dedicated server for us to run. On the one hand, UT2K4 took a measure of impact as folks have (and still are) running demo servers hacked all to hell - this would be one way to control the demo experience so as not to tick casual players off.

We still apparently won't know for another week or two whether or not there are dedicated servers for this or not.

Has anyone actually played it yet? I have to install Steam...

-Fk

Thanks for the breakdown, although I pretty much understood all that already. I was more confused at your forming of the "sentence" - "That and that yes was back in November so...?" :D

And Mav, I'm running a Core2 T7200 (2GHz), 4GB DDR2, 7900gs, 1920x1200 native res, and windows 7 pro. I'm guessing my 360 will make it look prettier than my laptop. Be nice if I was wrong though. I CAN run SupCom at native res, medium settings across the board with no slow down though, if that tells anyone anything important.

I don't know if these are entirely accurate as they weren't on the Sega site, but I found these system requirements on the interwebz:

Minimum Requirements:

Windows 7/ XP/Vista

1 GB System RAM (XP)/ 2 GB System RAM (Vista)

3.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4/Athlon 64 3000+ or equivalent processor

DirectX 9.0c compliant video card with 128 MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better, ATI X1600 or better)

Recommended Requirements:

Windows 7/ XP/Vista

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 or equivalent processor

2 GB System RAM

DirectX 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI HD2900 PRO or better)

I was all set to look at picking this up sometime this spring for 360. If GCers get behind this though in a large enough faction for PC, I may be rethinking that. I would probably cry a little on the inside knowing I'm settling for lesser graphics than my xbox could give me though...

eek!

Sell you Packard Bell and upgrade?

:)

I can run it pretty high with a 4850 @ 1360x768. But I like it really smooth.

I played one match as the alien. It was fun, but a couple of things:

1. The predator seemed to be very hard to kill. Maybe he was just better than the rest of us, who knows.

2. Humans were EASY to kill.

3. I love the speed! :) Transitions from walls to floors to ceilings was fairly seamless. It's fun to run on the ceilings then drop on the guys.

4. Attacking seemed a little weird, like, it was hard to run then attack at the same time.

It looked pretty sweet. I think I'll grab it for the 360 if it's got multi for one console. If not, then prolly PC. The 10 minutes I played was fun though, and plan on doing so again.

Oh, and Laz's blue font on the dark grey kills my retinas.

Edited by dragonfly

Just downloaded the demo, I'll try to hit it sometime this weekend. Is it just random matchmaking for the demo, or is there a way to play in the same matches as friends?

Any other impressions thus far from those that have already played it?