What would you like to see in the next FPS?

Unclean

It seems like the FPS world needs a jump start. All of the games since UT2k4 or CS:S haven't had the same level of popularity, and I was wondering what you thought would make "the perfect FPS".

For me, it'd be another hyperfast FPS with:

Double-jumps, double-sidejumps

Solid anti-cheat software built-in (no bloatware)

Dedicated servers

Bot support (for starting up servers)

What about the rest of you? What haven't the FPS game developers been doing that would knock your socks off? Or in other words, why haven't you found another UT/CS type game that has the "just one more game" feel?

(edited)

I like the idea of "perks" from call of duty. Makes it more custom to your type of play.

Also like the idea of different scope types.

I want to say it was Combat Arms that i played for a short time.

Also could buy gear and totally customize your model =].

Edited by Vali

A trend I noticed with modern multi-player FPSes is the rewards system where you can get persistent upgrades for your account. I'm kinda torn on this. On the one hand, getting rewarded for your efforts is cool. But on the other, I also feel that it creates an unbalanced pool of players.

It seems like the FPS world needs a jump start. All of the games since UT2k4 or CS:S haven't had the same level of popularity, and I was wondering what you thought would make "the perfect FPS".

Dedicated servers

What about the rest of you? What haven't the FPS game developers been doing that would knock your socks off? Or in other words, why haven't you found another UT/CS type game that has the "just one more game" feel?

Solid Game Play

No more "We'll fix it later with patches."

We need a Law for hacking of ANY kind, in which the "anti-cheat" contacts your local authorities. (I believe Korea does this)

Bot Support

Perks

Large Maps (I know lots of games have large maps, but theres only like 5 out of 10-15)

Hardcore Only

A good weak vs strong element, aka Rock < Paper < Scissors.

Originality, no more WW2/WW1/MW/Future (LIke in Conkers Bad Fur day, were you play as cavemen, that was fun)

More Game Modes (We have TD, CtF and stuff) like King of the Hill type, and Hold (You the person who holds this item the longest, those are unique)

More Weapons (Sick of like 4-6 Weapons per "class" I want more variety like 10-12 Weapons per class or like 20+ extra weapons that dont belong to any class)

Thats what I got that should be done for FPS games

Another Counter-Strike. Only now it will have upgraded graphics, all new base maps that aren't ridiculously one sided, and more weapons than CS:S. It still needs to be a die and your out for the round kind of deal, to keep you from just running and spraying and acting like an idiot. Basically a new, updated, CS:S withmore guns would be what would bring back many gamers from MW2 and all that. CS:S is still the 2nd most popular game played on Steam behind MW2. I'm not eve kidding around, a new CS would probably be just as popular as 1.6 and Source if they do it right.

Another Counter-Strike. Only now it will have upgraded graphics, all new base maps that aren't ridiculously one sided, and more weapons than CS:S. It still needs to be a die and your out for the round kind of deal, to keep you from just running and spraying and acting like an idiot. Basically a new, updated, CS:S withmore guns would be what would bring back many gamers from MW2 and all that. CS:S is still the 2nd most popular game played on Steam behind MW2. I'm not eve kidding around, a new CS would probably be just as popular as 1.6 and Source if they do it right.

The fact 1.6 has almost as many players as Source does still is pretty amazing. Lots of people are old school.

1.6 is great but if they could improve the physics and modernize the graphics, add points/experience levels for cosmetic upgrades only (leaving the per-game basis upgrade system more or less the way it is, fleshed out more would be nice)...I might start playing again.

Once something like that exists, we could mod it to suit everyone's different tastes

I would be all over a new CS. I just can't bring myself to spring for MW2 or BC2, especially when the community I prefer to play with is not settled on one.

That said, I played CSS for the first time in forever a couple of weeks ago and had a really good time. Might hit it up again next week!

CSS works because of it's simplicity. It will draw people like myself who usually don't play multi-player FPS games. I agree a new CSS would be great, just graphics/map updates, maybe a few new weapons and offering it cheap would be a great formula. No $50/$60 pricetag would be key. How about $30-$40? It isn't like they would have to re-invent the wheel. That is what ticked me off about L4D2, basically same game but they charge $50 for a re-hash in one year. Of course I boycotted L4D2 and still haven't bought it, probably never will. At least with CSS, it has been out a long time and deserves a little facelift.

How awesome would that be? It seems like most games being released these days are missing one or two key components, usually around the server browser or hacker management. If we could come up with a solid way to handle those two things, we could probably sell just that service to the videogame companies.

How awesome would that be? It seems like most games being released these days are missing one or two key components, usually around the server browser or hacker management. If we could come up with a solid way to handle those two things, we could probably sell just that service to the videogame companies.

We could start up Gamerscoalition Industries. "Preventing hackers since 2010" I see a bright future of hack free gaming, now who has the skills and ability to start programming? I can throw in about $20 to get it started, which i expect will grow into the millions when one of you geniuses makes a good anti-cheat which we will sell to the gaming companies. :P

Dedicated servers

I agree. They should make UT4, which is UT2k4 with updated graphics. Or dont update the graphics, I dont even care about that. It was such a sweet game. :)

I'd like to see a lot of the stuff from MW2 Brought over into all FPS's (Challenges, Titles, Perks)

Better Anti-Cheat systems

File consistency/validation tools (required check of core files before game launch/server join - prevent hackers from launching any scripts once in game)

Bot Support

Variable Physics/Modes IE. (Hyper Death Match - UT/Quake Style Speed/Movement, Hardcore Team DM - CS MW2 style movement/gameplay, etc)

Loads of: Weapons, Unlockables, Maps

SDK/Map Building Tools