Forum Upgrade this Weekend

Flitterkill

After IPB finally shipped out out version 3.1...

And then stomped out the bugs with 3.1.1 and 3.1.2...

And then the skin we use got upgraded to be compatible for 3.1...

And then the inevitable skin bugs got stamped out with yet newer versions of the skin...

Well, I'm gonna do the upgrade anytime between now and Monday. As usual, expect some downtime here.

WARNING!

As part of this upgrade, the sig nazi has retired and called in a friend known as the Avatar and Sig Revengencer.

ALL AVATARS AND SIGS WILL BE WIPED DURING THE UPGRADE.

The world is not ending; you will just need to re-up avatars and sigs under the new guidelines. This is far easier than reviewing individual accounts. Save your ephemera if you need to as it will be gone gone gone. Sigs will be very much limited in space and width (mainly vertical space) and avatars going forward *must* be 120 by 120 pixels in size. You've seen the default GC skull avatar icon that is appended to anyone who doesn't have an avatar now - feel free to use that as a template.

Also, once we are up and running under the new upgrade, It would be great if you revisited your account profile and updated emails, contact, etc information. More importantly there will be areas for you to select your gaming computer specs and also select which of the current gen consoles you have. This info will display as part of your post profiles (the crap under your avatar in your posts).

Lastly, the upgrade may be staggered somewhat with the boards offline while the software is upgraded but back online with the default blue/white skin while the rest of the work is being done. Just fyi.

EDIT: To increase the fun I just got word that our web server provider has some router stuff they have to deal with this weekend. Sunday 2am to 6am July 25th expect limited to no connectivity.

GC Board Member

Nah.

As it stands now, if you *never* had designated an avatar, you get the default GC skull.

If you have your own, you have your own.

If you had an avatar but it is pointing somewhere weird or didn't get pulled over during the last few upgrades, you have an empty space.

On top of that, I suspect there are some other odd cases where the default is being triggered or not being triggered.

Yet another reason to just wipe it all out and reset the lot.

GC Board Member

Actually, I probably missed the post, but where can I find the changes that will be coming?

I'll post something in the news section once we are up in running.

Slightly different look, the status update thingy on the right will now allow proper responses to people's updates, this stuff also will be archived (ie history) on your profile page, some post profile mods (display your current computer rig, gaming consoles, etc.), new member badges beneath avatars, iphone app, etc etc.......

if this doesn't support my iphone, i'm packing up and leaving.

You write the GC app for the iPhone, I'll do the same for the Droid.

i don't want a gc app, just a forum app.

done.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ip-board-communities/id372597645?mt=8

are you making a native droid app, or an android app? which one of the four versions are you going to target? which screen size? oh, just the droid? not the entire android market?

:lol2:

GC Board Member

Who said anything about price and features?

Meh, next thing is you'll ask for a Gopher client.

For the record, it'll be 3 bucks for the paid tapatalk version, but it also works for any other forums out there that uses the mod (vbulletin, phpbb, etc...)

But yes, very nice of IPB to release a free iPhone client. Wouldn't be surprised to see them drop an Android client out there in the future.

it'd be great if we pruned some dead and unwanted members. mohawk and m2 come to mind.

I vote we purge all Canadians on general principle.

That one guy from Toronto has been MIA since forever, making Canadia officially overrated.

GC Board Member

Forums now back on but the additional stuff (computer rig stats, consoles, etc) are loaded out with the upgraded skin and that is still getting worked on.

Also, time for pizza.

You can see why avatars must be 120 by 120. Membership categories work off of a stack model now and the avatar needs to be 120 by 120 to keep things looking spiffy. Regular forum members (non-gc) get nothing right now.

Sigs are currently *off* - those will go back on with the new skin.

Everyone is zeroed out to the default avatar. Feel free to upload a new one that is 120 by 120 (really - it's not hard to resize something). Images larger than 120 x 120 should get autosized down (they may look awful though). If it is smaller the system will probably let it through but the avatar revengencer will just come through and revert you back to the default eventually.

So lets all complain about the brightness of the default skin for awhile while I eat pizza and finish working on the other skin

(PS: the xbox live integration is broken at the moment, I doubt the steam profile page works, and our spiffy IPB based chat *does* work wonderfully but is limited to 5 peeps in the free version)