Droid review

Preacher

I was wondering if you guys here that use the new Android stuff could give me a review on what aps and such are awesome, which to avoid, how to tweak my new android phone and the like. I am getting one in a few weeks and wanted a more down to Earth knowledge base since most reviews I have read also advertise for google or Apple etc. Anyway hook me up with your wise knowledge :D

Which phone are you getting? Is it in fact the Droid by Motorola? There are a lot of Android phones out there right now, but they can vary greatly in operating system and hardware performance.

I have a Droid X and it is amazing.

Well there certainly are a lot of apps, many of which I'm sure I don't even have, but I can list the ones i do that i like.

Games:

Angry Birds- Very addicting and fun, everyones playing it

Gameboid- Full version is like $4 or something, but you can download and install gameboy advance roms of full games, great if your traveling or need to kill time somewhere

PSX4droid- don't have it but heard its awesome for PlayStation games, like FFVII, costs for full version

Utilities:

ASTRO File Manager- Allows you to manage all files on your phones memory and SD card, one of the most handy apps ever.

Color Note- Handy apps for jotting down notes

DirecTV- Search programs and set your DVR from anywhere, very useful if you have DTV

Lookout Mobile Security- scans downloads etc for viruses, i think now theres an AVG app also for this

ConvertPad- the ultimate unit converter, just about any unit you want into any other unit

Almost any bank you bank with has an app to view accounts online

Mint- great for managing money and spending

Weatherbug- awesome weather app with radar etc

Zedge- free ringtones/wallpapers, thousands

Ventriloid- get on Vent from your phone, anytime, anywhere, handy if your gaming with people and your internet goes out

Pandora- free online radio

HLSW Mobile- if you need to manage servers from HLSW, full version costs

Compass- dur hur

Barcode Scanner- scan barcodes anywhere, compare prices online, search what a product is just from the barcode

Advanced Task Killer- if it works with our version of Android, 2.2 kinda killed its functionality on my phone

Facebook

Twitters App

LogMeIn- if you can afford it and really really need it, logmein has a $30 app that lets you log into your home PC and control it on your phone from anywhere. I would love to get it but the i don't really need it, for $30 at least

Soon hopefully Netflix puts out apps for specific phones, like they say they will on their website in January

Sports:

NFL Mobile

ESPN ScoreCenter

Funny/Random:

Magic 8 Ball- just what it says, only you can make your own responses, fun to show people

Urban Dictionary

Source Server Manager

Steam Friends- hopefully with chat at some point

Sound Grenade- just to annoy people

Talking Parrot

Minecraft canary- if you play minecraft

Android Lightsaber- for those times you just need the power of the Force

Honestly i haven't perused for any good apps lately, but I'm sure as far as utilities, there are a hundred more apps out there that are useful, maybe someone else has a better list.

Edited by samurai nightling

Thats a really good list Samurai. I use some of the ones he listed plus wiki. I use wiki...alot.

I used adw launcher for a while. It changes up the standard desktop. I removed it and went back to the standard setup.

Android is alot of fun. I went a little overboard and my phone started laggin. Course mine is over a year old. The new ones run alot faster.

Angry birds...is...awesome!

I have a LOT of apps installed, but before I being...you're on Sprint and you're not going with an Epic 4G or an Evo 4G? May I ask why? There is also the Evo 4G Shift coming out shortly for $150. I like the Samsung phones just fine, but I'd buy an Evo before I bought an Epic or an Intercept.

What phone you buy matters. Different phones have different size modding communities and what not. For instance, the original Droid (Motorola Droid on Verizon) has a MASSIVE modding community. My Droid runs at a stead 1.1 Ghz, which is faster than a lot of the newest high-end phones. It's just an example of the modding I've done, but you get the idea.

The Evo 4G has been consistently rated the best smart phone (including other OS's) on the market. I'm jealous that Sprint carries it and Verizon doesn't (though that'll be changing with the Thunderbolt--same architecture).

Aaaanyway, I'll add more once I hear what your decision is going to be.

XDA developers will soon be your best friends. :-)

The thing that bites about the Sprint 4g stuff (including the desired Evo's) is the 4g data surcharge of $10 a month. If you live no where near 4g coverage that's a kinda brutal.

Oddly enough I'm relevant to this conversation - my SO's parents dropped me on to their phone plan as a surprise xmas gift (and I can be written off as an expense come tax time :) ).

They've been with Sprint forever and the Sprint rep had to jam me in somehow into their plan. This resulted in me acquiring unlimited texts and data (a subsequent Sprint rep remarked as we tried to clarify that I had such things as the others did not: "I guess the Sprint guy adding you in was in a good mood"). However, the phone I got as the gift was the Rumor Touch aka the smartest dumbphone around.

So I got under 30 days or so to bump to something else before it becomes a pain in the donkey (they were exchanging their phones and re-upping their two year plan). Adding the $10 4g surcharge onto their bill is a no-go; it's a miracle I got the unlimited texts and data for $5/month as it is - no one wants to rock that boat. The HTC 7 Pro has not been announced as released for Sprint yet and no one knows if that will drop stateside in the next 25+ days not to mention if it will too carry an additional surcharge.

Feh.

FK: I dunno if you HAVE to pay for 4G...I thought you could opt out of it--that being said, I dunno a ton about Sprint voice plans. You could also just pay them $10 a month to have your phone on the plan...they are sweet phones.

Preach: I guess all you get is the Intercept. It's likely the best smart phone that Virgin Mobile has to offer--but I'd consider looking at other companies to get a better phone before you buy. Like if you have Bell Mobility or something like that, they carry Android devices that are better.

You can still do a lot with it...you can browse over these threads: http://www.samsunginterceptforum.com/samsung-intercept-rooting/hack-samsung-intercept-and-use-verizon-prl-to-talk-and-surf-with-verizon-3g/

I still have my Droid 1. I still like the phone a great deal and it not being locked means I can run a bunch of different mods and custom ROMS on it. My phone is moderately overclocked to 800 Mhz and that's because I do not want it to overheat and die because I do not have the money to get a new one. My next phone will also have to be unlocked and the option of installing a Custom Rom on it possible. The incredible is also a good phone but to buy it now when LTE stuff is on the way would be stupid.

The apps that I run on my phone......

Google Voice

Beautiful Widgets (paid)

Launcher Pro (paid)

Books

Drudge Easy

Barcode Scanner

TiKl - Touch to Talk (works across Android and iPhones. Great app)

Shazam

Movies

Google Reader

DC Metro Transit (free)

Amazon Kindle

Android System Info

These are the ones that I use regularly. I do not have any battery issues with these apps in the least.