Simkiller's new PC

Preacher

He has a $1000 budget

You will never get the quality from a premade build that you get from doing it yourself. Plus to get a decent gaming system for $1000 would be very hard to find. I could not find anything "up to date" for that price. Here's one with less RAM, Less Hard Drive, Less CPU, no blue ray, no external drive but does come with windows 7 already installed.

Here is what I came up with:

Case

Power supply

Motherboard

CPU

RAM

Hard Drive

DVD R/W Drive

Blue Ray Drive

Video Card

3X Fans

The power Supply comes with a free SATA 2.5" Enclosure so here is a hard drive for it: External Hard drive

The total for this system is: $993.51with $20 in Mail in Rebates

If you also need a new copy of Windows you could ditch the portable Hard drive and the blue ray player, but this is a very nice and fast PC for the cash.

Hey preach thanks for the response. I will need to buy a copy of Windows 7. My budget for the computer is not fixed. I get my W2 at the end of this month so I'll know what I can spend then. Can I get back with you in a couple weeks and maybe have you do this again with a more exact amount?

Thanks again!

I'd also suggest being patient. If you give your self 45 days to work on getting the parts you'd be surprised how much you can save via sales, specials and rebates at various places (NewEgg included). Also, remember that shipping counts in your final costs as well. If you hustle, you can do very well.

Preacher built an ATI - AMD system. I built an Intel - Nvidia system. The i5 - 2500K is a bit faster than the Phenom 1075T, but of course, more expensive. Nvidia just released the GTX 560 which is on par with the ATI 6950, it can be behind and ahead, depending on the test. 6950 slightly out performs the GTX 560, but is $50 cheaper. In my mind, having a better processor is better than having a better video card if you have to choose. You will always be using your CPU, but only really using your video card in games.

Mine is also $70 over budget before rebates...

Will I notice a difference in gaming if i was playing the same game on both of those pc's side by side? Also is one more upgradable than the other? Would you guys recommend a sound card? Are there problems associated with amd vs. intel? Is one easier to put together than the other?

mine also include a six core CPU rather than a 4 core. While that will not improve older stuffs it is more future resilient.

That's true, but even in Sandra 2011 and PCMark, which takes into account all cores, the Intel four cores with eight threads is faster than the six core AMD.

Will I notice a difference in gaming if i was playing the same game on both of those pc's side by side? Also is one more upgradable than the other? Would you guys recommend a sound card? Are there problems associated with amd vs. intel? Is one easier to put together than the other?

I'm not exactly sure how much of a difference there will be gaming. Both computers are kind of equal in what their brands offer. The video cards go back and forth between games. The Intel processor is quite a bit faster than the AMD processor, though with the extra money I spent over Preacher's, you probably could step up to the faster AMD processor. The Intel processor also came out this month, so the 1155 socket it needs is brand new, which means more processor are bound to come out for it. The AMD processor uses AM3 and they will probably come out with the AM3+ sometime in the next few months. AM3 processors work on AM3+ but AM3+ processors won't work on AM3.

I tried to look for the newest stuff possible, the AMD and ATI stuff isn't old, but since Intel and Nvidia stuff is brand new (The GTX 560 came out earlier this week), it's slightly better, this of course will be reversed in a few months when AMD releases new CPUs and Video cards.

You could upgrade the processor in Preacher's for $60 more and get the 1100T, which closes the gap between the i5-2500K. It would probably come out to a similar price as mine.

It really comes down to the brands you prefer I guess.

My suggestion is to ask yourself "Exactly what do I plan to do with this over the next # years?" then decide what features you must have (blueray, video encoding, sound recording, gaming etc) and then pick the best stuff for your budget. If all you plan to do is play CS:S then you already kick my butt with a lower end PC lol. If you plan to just game I suggest you go with the i7 or at min. the i5 that Voodoo suggested. Personally I would probably go AMD right now as six core programs are slotted for the future and try to get a Bluray drive in it to future proof the next series in gaming. And max the RAM if you can, you can NEVER have too much RAM. The video card in Voodoo's suggestion is no better or worse on average than the one I put up thee, but look at the benchmarks of different sites and make sure the games you play are games that perform well on the card you choose. Most of all though you can build a decent system without breaking the bank. Personally I'm still using a socket 775 9650 Quad core Extreme with a GTX 260 and 8gb RAM and have yet to be slowed by anything out there on max settings. With that in mind you should understand that hardware always progresses faster than software. My nephew still plays using an old AMD 4400+ with 4gb RAM and an ATI 4970 and he can play anything out there (that video card is still pretty up to date though).

Like I said decide what you have to have then get it the cheapest way possible. Don't forget you can save a few hundred by reusing your old case,power supply, DVD drives and hard drives. But then who wants to neglect having that extra PC :)

I bought a Bluray drive when I built my computer in early 2009, having no TV or PS3 at the time, it's been awesome. If you like TV shows or movies at all I would definitely try to get one if you can squeeze it in. And like Preacher said, if they ever start releasing PC games on Blurays, you'll be all set.

I tried to pick brands I like, I've never been disappointed by Asus, EVGA, or Corsair. You can find lesser known brands though for cheaper prices.

The sole purpose is going to be gaming. I just want to make sure I don't box myself in like I did when PCI express had just come out and I went with an AGP motherboard. I don't care whether it's intel or amd as long as in the future, if my ram or cpu or video card is lacking for a game, I'll be able to buy better and have it be a quick swap out rather than a total rebuild. I'm thinking my budget is going to be 1500 now. With that I need to make sure and get all of the above mentioned and a mouse, keyboard, headset, windows 7 (and sound card if it helps with gaming i.e. footsteps) if not, a sound card isn't necessary.

If you play with a headset I would simply use onboard sound (which is pretty good these days) simply because of the ease of setting it up inside the case for your front panel, then buy a USB headset like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16826502011

Pressed for time today so if you will give me your email addy I'll forward over a PC I configured for ya in the $1500 range.

I think I'm going to be able to use my dad's edu discount for windows 7 but when looking at what was available, windows 7 professional was not and windows 7 ultimate is available. I need to know if Ultimate is okay to use rather than professional and also should I get the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version.

I think I'm going to be able to use my dad's edu discount for windows 7 but when looking at what was available, windows 7 professional was not and windows 7 ultimate is available. I need to know if Ultimate is okay to use rather than professional and also should I get the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version.

Ultimate is fine - it just adds a few other features to the Pro version that most likely won't concern you. 64-bit support for most everything is commonplace these days, so unless you have to run some older software that will not work at all with 64-bit, then I suggest going with the 64-bit OS.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is what I ended up getting. I have on order everything except the mobo. Waiting till the replacement Sandy Bridge boards come out, but here's the rest of my rig.

CPU:i5 2500k

VideoCard:XFX 6970

Power Supply:PSU recommended by Cujo

RAM:8gb

SSD for OS and most used programs:365mb/s read speeds on this sucker!

2 HDD's in raid1 for all my other files and junk:2-500gb WD black hdd

Case:another Cujo recommendation

DVD/CD Burner:settled for this for now..will get a blu ray down the road

CPU Cooler (thanks to Preacher):Preach's good steal

So far around 1300 dollars total. Still need the mobo and OS.

Edited by simkiller