Lay-Off incoming

ZeroDamage

Truth be told, I would rather not move to California. That is too far away from EVERYONE that I know and too far away from both families. But the right opportunity with a gaming company like Riot Games could convince me otherwise. It is something I will have to think really hard about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got my first job offer today in Northern Virginia. I do have a question for those of you who've gone through the process more than I have; what is the appropriate way to counter an offer? What is the etiquette for such a thing? Any thoughts or experiences?

I have to consider whether I should try to counter the offer and get the pay bumped up a bit. It's pretty decent now and living outside of that immediate area means the cost of living may be about the same as it is where I am now or possibly cheaper. I just do not want to shortchange myself.

Step 1- Thank God you dont live in Michigan right now. It takes a Master's to deliver a pizza at the moment...

Step 2- Dont try to cow-tow or act "needy". One thing that is a big topic right now in hard-hire areas is that when the dust settles and the resumes are cleared....the only R E A L question is..... do Jay, Bob and Sandra (that interviewed you) want to see you every day and work with you, or loathe your presence and wish you'd shower more often and shut-up about news-channels?

:D

Did you or they set salary expectations through the interview process?

If so, is the offer in line with it? If there's one way to not start out on the right foot with an employer it's changing your demands after you know they want you....

If it's a "blind" offer, and you truly think it's the starting point for negotiation follow the lead provided by Preacher.

Another approach is thank them, tell them that you will consider the offer as you believe it to be OK, but that you want to start a long term career with a company and you like what they've had to tell you so far, you would genuinely be "delighted/happy" to accept an offer at "insert requested figure here".

And see what happens, they may say "that's our best offer", they may say "we want a happy employee", they may say "ok, we'll we've move to candidate number 2". The last one is unlikely as you were obviously top of the pile thus far...

I verbally accepted the offer today. They are tossing in another 3k to either rent me a place in the area for a few months while my wife and son finish school or they may give it to me up front for moving expenses. What they offered me looked to be in line with my title and what is expected of me. I also had to consider the bonuses which goes from 4% to 12% with an average of 6% of your salary per year. It'll all work out I think.

Thanks all. Now looking for a house and trying to make it all work out. Looks like I will most likely be living in West Virginia on the other side of the border. Found a house and am working on making that happen now.

Still waiting for the written offer... there is still a chance they can change their mind. I did have my technical interview with RiotGames last week and waiting to hear back from them as a fallback. If I were single, I would be all over the Riotgames possibility in LA but not so much right now.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the help and what not.

Thanks all. Now looking for a house and trying to make it all work out. Looks like I will most likely be living in West Virginia on the other side of the border. Found a house and am working on making that happen now.

Still waiting for the written offer... there is still a chance they can change their mind. I did have my technical interview with RiotGames last week and waiting to hear back from them as a fallback. If I were single, I would be all over the Riotgames possibility in LA but not so much right now.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the help and what not.

I believe it was once said, "take you home/country roads/to the place/you belong. West Virginia/Mountain mama."

• 1 month later...

I will more than likely end up living in West Virginia and commuting to Leesburg due to the high cost of living in that area. Ouch.

Yeah, I wish I payed more attention to COL around here before moving from Cleveland. I live in the Ashburn area, and work in Sterling. Apartment prices here are insane.

• 1 year later...

I am reviving this for a specific reason. I think it was Unclean that emailed me a great format for a resume and I cannot seem to find that email now. I think the format was a list of successes or something (I cannot think of the frakin word!) and then a brief description of skills, etc. I think that was the format and I think it was Unclean that emailed me this but I cannot recall.

Things are not looking to hot at my new job. Company is bleeding people regularly and the new CEO is an amateur at best and has no understanding or appreciation for IT and the job we do. I want to start preparing for what I believe is coming in the next few months.

My resume is set up like that. It has a list of things I accomplished at my past jobs, like building a new company website, making the initiative for the company to switch from 2D to 3D parametric CAD software. Then I have a section that says the things I currently do day to day at my job. Last I have another section that is skills like software I use, CNC experience, junk like that.

I've gotten a couple of interviews but no dream job yet. :P

Edited by VooDooPC

My resume is set up like that. It has a list of things I accomplished at my past jobs, like building a new company website, making the initiative for the company to switch from 2D to 3D parametric CAD software. Then I have a section that says the things I currently do day to day at my job. Last I have another section that is skills like software I use, CNC experience, junk like that.

I've gotten a couple of interviews but no dream job yet. :P

I would be interested in seeing your resume without the personal information or at least a portion of how it is formatted. I really need to redo mine and am looking for an idea on how to make it look.

Not sure if it was the one I sent you a couple of years ago, just dug out the email and pinged it back again (hopefully your email is still the same).

Yeah, it's the same. It was your email as well. Glad someone still had it. Great format I mean to replicate for myself. Thanks bro.

I am reviving this for a specific reason. I think it was Unclean that emailed me a great format for a resume and I cannot seem to find that email now. I think the format was a list of successes or something (I cannot think of the frakin word!) and then a brief description of skills, etc. I think that was the format and I think it was Unclean that emailed me this but I cannot recall.

Things are not looking to hot at my new job. Company is bleeding people regularly and the new CEO is an amateur at best and has no understanding or appreciation for IT and the job we do. I want to start preparing for what I believe is coming in the next few months.

Sorry to hear that buddy. If it's any consolation, my bro got let go from Blackberry (formerly known as RIM). He was frontline IT and did mostly desktop support (responding to tickets and what not). The company, in its infinite wisdom decided to outsource all the frontend IT (70 or so jobs) to a call center in Europe even though cost analysis showed it made no sense financially. They were notified 3 weeks before launch that their last day would be Feb 12. The kick was they were expected to help train their replacements as soon as possible. You can imagine how co-operative they must have been!

Last week he was talking with a friend who was still working there. She mentioned that IT is a mess now and they've had to create a mailbox just for the complaints people have for the IT dept! Never mind the actually problems people are having with their machines!

Sorry to hear that buddy. If it's any consolation, my bro got let go from Blackberry (formerly known as RIM). He was frontline IT and did mostly desktop support (responding to tickets and what not). The company, in its infinite wisdom decided to outsource all the frontend IT (70 or so jobs) to a call center in Europe even though cost analysis showed it made no sense financially. They were notified 3 weeks before launch that their last day would be Feb 12. The kick was they were expected to help train their replacements as soon as possible. You can imagine how co-operative they must have been!

Last week he was talking with a friend who was still working there. She mentioned that IT is a mess now and they've had to create a mailbox just for the complaints people have for the IT dept! Never mind the actually problems people are having with their machines!

Upper management doesn't understand IT at all.