HD video hosting sites?

Clueless

Anyone have any first hand experience? What I want to do is upload video to a safe,secure site where my family in Ohio can go watch at will. I am not interested in anything like Youtube or even Facebook. Free isn't really a big deal either, actually, i'd probably feel better about paying something...it would eliminate annoying ads or other shady stuff.

The other thing that I am looking for is something that is private, that I can give access to only those that I want to.

The only site that I have found to seriously consider so far is SmugMug. The site looks nice and offers alot of privacy and customization options. Anyone have experience with them?

(edited)

It's cheap enough to get a basic or advanced web hosting package for 5-10$ a month and you get a couple domains, tons of FTP space and access to website builders, database tools and all sorts of fun stuff...

I have a business package with 1and1.com that I've been very happy with!

In short, why settle for a site that may or may not work when you can take it into your own hands.

Edited by Windex

I use smugmug - you can password protect albums easily. Even the basic package would be fine for you, and that'd run you $3/mo. I have the "power" level one, and you can see a mix of private and public albums here. In the Nature section, there are a couple videos:

The uploading interface is really slick. You just drag and drop photos/videos and it uploads them automatically.

They have a referral program too, but I'm not sure if it stacks with the 50% off your first year promotion. I could try referring you and you'd get an extra $5 off, but if that doesn't work, then just go for the 50% off. It's better for you that way.

It's cheap enough to get a basic or advanced web hosting package for 5-10$ a month and you get a couple domains, tons of FTP space and access to website builders, database tools and all sorts of fun stuff...

I have a business package with 1and1.com that I've been very happy with!

In short, why settle for a site that may or may not work when you can take it into your own hands.

Because he's probably not looking to build his own HD video/picture hosting site.

I know you said no Youtube. But why not make the youtube video private and only allow access for certain people?

Throw an webserver on your machine and send them the link?

GC Alumni

I use smugmug - you can password protect albums easily. Even the basic package would be fine for you, and that'd run you $3/mo. I have the "power" level one, and you can see a mix of private and public albums here. In the Nature section, there are a couple videos:

The uploading interface is really slick. You just drag and drop photos/videos and it uploads them automatically.

They have a referral program too, but I'm not sure if it stacks with the 50% off your first year promotion. I could try referring you and you'd get an extra $5 off, but if that doesn't work, then just go for the 50% off. It's better for you that way.

I like that, it looks pretty good...and seems easy to set up. So how long have you been with them?

Thanks for the other suggestions guys, the price seems right for some of the other hosting options, I just don't have the time or ability to build my own page and stuff.

I have used smugmug for around 3 years now. Excellent site. It cost around 30 bucks a year.

If you have a smartphone (android or Iphone) you can upload videos and photos via their app.