Opinions on new build

I've been wanting to build a new pc the week I finished mine 2 years ago and I think I could have done better.

So here is what I'm looking at so far.

ASUS P8P67 LE

Intel Core i5-2500 or Intel Core i5-2500K

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 or EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Seasonic SS-560KM 560W 80Plus Gold Certified

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 to G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 or CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 or HEC Blitz or Antec 300 or LIAN LI Lancool

I already have spare HDD, keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Updating my current PC is also an option, I should have posted it.

Asus P5QC

Intel Q9300

GT 9500 GTS 250

Crucial 2 x 2 GB DDR2 800

I don't want to spend over $1000 and this build is just too see if I should really buy or not. The opinions just help me :)

I don't have the pleasure of buying online but I know someone who can if I pay them a little extra for the troubles.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by onyxdragoon

(edited)

Does that board support Crossfire, don't think it does but may not matter to you.

I recommend getting the 2500K for a few more bucks if you ever plan to overclock. The vanilla 2500 is totally locked.

I need another GTX 460 :peace:

You might try the Ripjaws X, updated Ripjaws with XMP profile for the P67. I have the Ripjaws X 1866 8gb set and works great.

Note: I dunno where Newegg flopped, but when I ordered that RAM it took 2 weeks for me to get it. I started going nut's after the first week with the rest of my build in front of me. AVOID EGGSAVER SHIPPING

Edited by bushwack

(edited)

I would recommend dropping another $30 into the vid card and get a GTX560 Ti. (EVGA of course)

From what I've been reading, they are one of the best bang for your buck cards available right now. The newer Fermi (500 series) cards are cooler, quieter, faster and use less power than the 400 series. If you need more power down the road, Two 560's in SLI are currently faster than a GTX580.

I would also HIGHLY recommend going for the i5-2500K instead. Those things can overclock like crazy with the unlocked multiplier!

Edited by boiler

Does that board support Crossfire, don't think it does but may not matter to you.

I recommend getting the 2500K for a few more bucks if you ever plan to overclock. The vanilla 2500 is totally locked.

I need another GTX 460 :peace:

You might try the Ripjaws X, updated Ripjaws with XMP profile for the P67. I have the Ripjaws X 1866 8gb set and works great.

Note: I dunno where Newegg flopped, but when I ordered that RAM it took 2 weeks for me to get it. I started going nut's after the first week with the rest of my build in front of me. AVOID EGGSAVER SHIPPING

I might use the second slot for PhysX. If that ram is designed for the P67 might we well use it then. :D I didn't pick the unlocked verison because I do not know much about overclocking and I assumed it will shorten the life span. I might though it is an option but turbo boost should be enough. I will add your suggestions.

Well I must say that looks good and all, but I would like to say that this case is awesome and is one of the best for cooling and ease of build that I've seen. Oh and also it's awesomely cheap :) Oh and with the $100 you save you can put $25 of it towards mo betta RAM

There are a couble things I look for in a case. Bottom mount PSU and sideways HDD rack. I know the case in my list is way too expensive. I also spoke with Mookie and San, I'll update the list with the suggested cases.

I'm not too sure on 8 GBs of ram, yet.

I would recommend dropping another $30 into the vid card and get a GTX560 Ti. (EVGA of course)

From what I've been reading, they are one of the best bang for your buck cards available right now. The newer Fermi (500 series) cards are cooler, quieter, faster and use less power than the 400 series. If you need more power down the road, Two 560's in SLI are currently faster than a GTX580.

I would also HIGHLY recommend going for the i5-2500K instead. Those things can overclock like crazy with the unlocked multiplier!

I thought the GTX 560 was a re-branded GTX 460 similar to the 9800+ GTX and GTS 250.

I thought the GTX 560 was a re-branded GTX 460 similar to the 9800+ GTX and GTS 250.

It isn't a rebranded 460. The 560 has more CUDA cores (384 vs 336) so better shader, etc. performance as well as higher clock speeds. From what I've read, the 560 at stock vs 460 at stock gives a roughly 33% performance increase. While you can overclock the 460 to close that gap to roughly 10%, the 560 should have higher overclock head room (and that EVGA Superclocked version I linked you would get you well on your way) as well as running quieter, using less power and running cooler.

If you already HAD a 460 and were thinking of upgrading to a 560, then I would say it's probably not worth the money. Starting "fresh" though, 33% performance increase is definitely worth another $30 in my book.

Here is the article I used for those numbers in case you care to see for yourself:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=28691&page=9

Keep in mind the EVGA superclocked will be faster than these benches.

As for the processor, doing a multiplier overclock on an unlocked processor (i.e. the K series i5 and i7) is dead simple. On stock cooling with a simple multiplier bump you can get significant performance increases. In my opinion, you won't be shortening the life of your processor unless you start getting into voltage modification for overclocking. That i5 should still be alive and well by the time you are ready to replace it down the road!

Hm, OK GTX 560 is a strong option then.

So for the K series, you just need to up the multiplier? There was one guy on campus who told me he got 5Ghz on air cooling but I didn't believe him. If that is the case 2500K definitely the CPU to go.

Keep in mind I'm not 100% sure on building a new PC.

Hey, we're not trying to pressure you into purchases, just making sure you have the advice you may need if you decide to do so!

Wow, 5 GHz on air sounds a little insane. He definitely was messing with voltages to get something in that range. You can still get a very respectable overclock with a simple multiplier bump without all the risk/pain/suffering of pushing the CPU to the absolute max. He must have one heck of a cpu cooler on that thing!

GL;HF :luxhello:

If you already HAD a 460 and were thinking of upgrading to a 560, then I would say it's probably not worth the money. Starting "fresh" though, 33% performance increase is definitely worth another $30 in my book.

Here is the article I used for those numbers in case you care to see for yourself:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=28691&page=9

From what I can tell from that site, the 560 is almost 10% faster looking at all the games numbers. And the 560 is is what 10% more? New system I'd go with the 560, course come 460's are well under $200.

And with a quad core, you may rather have the CPU doing the physics rundown. Think it would kick the snot say, outta a 8800GT for dedicated physics.

(edited)

At stock clocks for both, the 560 is more like 33% faster. The 10% difference was with overclocking the 460 to the same clock speeds as the stock 560. Don't get me wrong, the 460 is still a very respectable card, but the price difference seems reasonable to me for that kind of a performance boost. Plus, I have an aversion to investing in "old" technology when starting from scratch like this. :shrug03:

As for Physx, I'm fairly certain that it can only be calculated by "physx compatible" cards, not CPUs. A GTS 250 would probably serve well as a dedicated physx card should he choose to do so. Don't quote me on that though, I know very little about dedicated physx cards. I just let the GTX 570 handle everything.

Edited by boiler

Could the power supply handle a GTX 460/560 with a GTS 250 for PhysX? I have a spare GT 9500 too.

What about you guys opinions on other things like SDDs, after market coolers, BD drives and etc?

The power supply you picked would be fine for running a 460 or 560, but if you are adding a second card (for physx or SLI down the road), I would consider stepping up to something like this:

Corsair TX750

Price is similar to what you listed, and Corsair makes great PSUs as well. If you really need/want modular, then a Corsair HX750 would do it. A little headroom is a good thing, and power supplies are the one area of a build where you DEFINITELY don't want to go cheap. That one I listed would easily last you through two builds, assuming you don't make a massive jump in power requirements. The single 12v rail @60amps on that one I listed would be very solid for your graphics/physx needs.

Doesn't have to be Corsair, but go with a good manufacturer and look for something in the 650-800w range and 80+ certified.

http://www.thermaltakestore.com/clp0564.html costs $75 at newegg.

Bluray drives have come down a lot but if you don't watch movies on bluray why bother. If you do then just get the cheapest one that you like of either the players/recorders.

I have no opinion on SSd drives because I don't own one so not sure what to look for there.

Oh and don't forget to get one of these: They are

SSDs are almost the inevitable future now. Not sure from storage size standpoint but for speed its the future, and the now. If you can drop the dime for a SSD - doesn't have to be gigantic. Enough for your operating system, applications and games. Leave the mp3s and movies and everything else to good ole HDs. The speed increase in apps launching and games loading (loading whatever they need during the game) you will see will astound you.

No I don't have one yet. Yes I would like one. 60 gig in size, perhaps larger would suffice.

What they said about bluerays. Until they start skirting the $50-ish amount for a blu-ray *burner* I'd leave it out. Even then, hard drives are so cheap on a storage/price factor I wonder if BR burners will catch on...

I guess I could use my PS3 to watch blu-rays.

I was talking about my boss and he doesn't like the design of SSDs because they have to follow the shape and size of HDDs but understand why they do. He also told me something about wipe commands not wiping the drive.

Just got done doing a new build that now rocks, and you have pick most fo the same things....do the 2500K fo sure, the board I would switch to the MSi GD65, more bang for the buck, I also spent more on a SSD drive 256gb instead of a new card, and I am very glad I did. My GTX260 OC, now hits over 150 on all maps, and most hit 250 - 299 mark on easier maps. On the PSU i would recommend doing the corsair 750w, it has a much more stable single rail. New system put my windows rating to 7.6...changed my video card rating from a 4.3 to 7.6. by changing the cpu, board, and SSD.

Plus now i boot in like 10 - 15 seconds...It installed windows 7 in 11mins.

Just got done doing a new build that now rocks, and you have pick most fo the same things....do the 2500K fo sure, the board I would switch to the MSi GD65, more bang for the buck, I also spent more on a SSD drive 256gb instead of a new card, and I am very glad I did. My GTX260 OC, now hits over 150 on all maps, and most hit 250 - 299 mark on easier maps. On the PSU i would recommend doing the corsair 750w, it has a much more stable single rail. New system put my windows rating to 7.6...changed my video card rating from a 4.3 to 7.6. by changing the cpu, board, and SSD.

Plus now i boot in like 10 - 15 seconds...It installed windows 7 in 11mins.

Those SSD numbers are CRAZY! I knew they were a decent bit faster than the regular 7200 rpm drives, but dang!

As far as the motherboards are concerned, the Asus you picked should be solid (had several Asus boards over the years and never had a problem with any of them), but if you aren't going to be making part purchases in the next two weeks, you may want to look at the EVGA offerings. They are releasing their P67 boards around the second week of May, and they look SICK. If I were building right now, I'd pick up one of these as soon as they are available. A little pricier, but serious performance backed by an awesome company and service.

Could the power supply handle a GTX 460/560 with a GTS 250 for PhysX? I have a spare GT 9500 too.

What about you guys opinions on other things like SDDs, after market coolers, BD drives and etc?

The power supply you picked would be fine for running a 460 or 560, but if you are adding a second card (for physx or SLI down the road), I would consider stepping up to something like this:

Corsair TX750

Price is similar to what you listed, and Corsair makes great PSUs as well. If you really need/want modular, then a Corsair HX750 would do it. A little headroom is a good thing, and power supplies are the one area of a build where you DEFINITELY don't want to go cheap. That one I listed would easily last you through two builds, assuming you don't make a massive jump in power requirements. The single 12v rail @60amps on that one I listed would be very solid for your graphics/physx needs.

Doesn't have to be Corsair, but go with a good manufacturer and look for something in the 650-800w range and 80+ certified.

I just bought a one of these Corsair TX750 units, $105 shipped from amazon, 20 cheaper then the Egg. I plan on picking up another GTX 460 in a week or two, so I needz mor joose.

Here's a good review, I really like this guy.

still love my Corsair 850HX

I was pretty upset with Corsairs Dominator ram, but their PSUs and median ram have been awesome.

( I got into a thing with Evga and Corsair blaming each other for my ram problems after I spent about $250 for a 777 1600 ram....disillusioned me to both a little).