Throwing together a new build

akaM2

Yup, its me. With winter upon us, I think its time to jump back into the CSS and MW2 arena and I saw the new CS teaser and got a bit aroused. Specs of a new build are below, let me know what you think. Ive been away from the comp building for awhile so I dont know what is bad/good anymore. Looking to keep it reletively cheap(Under 1k), but don't mind spending more to get a bit better performance. But this build seems like it could handle anything out there. Grabbed alot off of a Life Hacker post

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B Black Aluminum/ SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case I dont want any damn blue lights, simple and effective :)

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard Seems good enough

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB Dont know vid cards anymore and this looked good

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V Same thing, looks like enough juice and good reviews

Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) Flip flopping between this and i7, dont know if its worth a 100 difference

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD For OS and programs only

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB Media drive

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) 8GB really needed? So I went with 4

LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM might as well upgrade to BD

ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm To keep it cooooooool

All in all this adds up to 1200, so a bit over budget but I could easily make the budget if i wouldnt go with the SSD or Blu Ray, but I think those will pay off in the long run.

And yes, I want to make babies with you all

Edited by Flitterkill

I would get this for the GPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121425

Same price, faster core clock and two fans.

Might as well get the i5-2500K for the few extra bucks, Z68 can overclock it. People here advised me to get the K version, as well.

The ssd looks like it has slow sustained sequential write compared to others, but the M4 had a firmware update last month to increase speeds.

Anandtech has a buyer's guide for each price range and has chosen the best, in their opinion, in each range. That might help.

You could probably go for a bit slower ram to get 8GB for the same price, up to you.

PSU seems like overkill. 750W is a lot.

As onxy said:

I would spend the few extra bucks and get the K version of the 2500. I have mine running at 4.0 @ default voltages.

DDR3 is so cheap, any reason NOT to get 8gig? Just get slightly slower stuff, you'll never notice it. Course I guess you can always add more later.

And:

I have the same Corsair 750, pushes my pair of 460's juts fine. I can see it pushing another 560 in your future.

I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212, and its a steal at just $30 shipped. The thing is a monster!

how bout you call a buddy back when he's in milwaukee for a phils game.. you're dead to me

dont know what number you called big guy, but mine didnt ring. I was at 2 of the games too.

pm me your cell if your still in chicago, because im guessing we might need to get some playoff tickets

i5, 8 gig ram, ssd would all be baseline essential for me.

The i5 is more than enough, save the i7 money and apply it to the vidcard.

Like they said, ram has gotten stupid cheap again. No reason not to rock 8.

Same for the SSD. 2 tb drives (granted, 5400k) are now routinely $60. So bulk storage is nothing for cost now. But SSD's are just too sexy not to get for a primary drive (operating system, apps, and games only of course). There have been more than a few SSD deals lately. Keep an eye out. As long as they are north of 400 for read speed (there is one OCZ SSD that has reads barely over 100 which matches physical hard drives so... yeah - stay away from that one)

Zero pointed out http://www.overclock.net/main-components/ recently - be sure to cruise the buy/sell forums there for used performance castoffs.

• 4 weeks later...

If you wanted more storage on the SSD the OCZ Vertex Plus 120G are like $140 now. You lose the peak read speed of the C400/M4 as its SATA II, but performance other then that should be similar as the 64G version of M4 is rather neutered. Anandtech's Vertex Plus review. I'd stay with the i5 unless you feel like blowing some extra money, and I'd go with a AMD 6950 vs the 560 in a heartbeat. Lian-Li makes some of the nicest cases around, tho I haven't used that one in particular. I would say that hard drive cage does not look at all removable so you might want to check and make sure whatever video card you go with will fit.

• 3 weeks later...

So did you build one or not build one? that is the question.

I probably will need to get something soon. My son needs one now..... so interested in good rig but I obviously don't want to break the bank.

i7-2600 or a i7-960 what would you recommend,,, plus the ati HD6950 or should I go nvidia GTX570?

So did you build one or not build one? that is the question.

I probably will need to get something soon. My son needs one now..... so interested in good rig but I obviously don't want to break the bank.

i7-2600 or a i7-960 what would you recommend,,, plus the ati HD6950 or should I go nvidia GTX570?

i7-2600 and GTX 570.

I am thinking of picking this up. http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Vertex-2-5-Inch-Solid-VTX3-25SAT3-120G/dp/B004Q81CKY/?tag=atmlinr-20

I need to replace my hard drive I think. It is a Caviar black but is picking up errors. It could be that I just need to reinstall but I haven't done it yet. 2-hours of driving to and from work every day has made my time much more precious and the thought of spending it reinstalling Windows urks me.

I currently have 4GB of RAM and plan on grabbing this minor upgrade. My RAM isn't made any more and while it is rated at DDR 2000 I run it at the 1600 speed. Having 6-cores means I should probably run more RAM to assist in the data jumping around. If anyone is interested in my old RAM, it will be available for sale in the next few days. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231281

Zero, are you going to use the solid state drive as the system drive?

Onyx, ty

That is the plan. I will also install the games that I play the most on it. That includes BF3 and MW3 along with the few Steam games I plan to keep installed. The rest I am currently removing then I am going to do a defrag on my steam install.

• 1 month later...

Well i decided to upgrade my mac instead........stutters should be proud.

Still possibly adding a desktop once my move is completed to columbus on the 5th. Gotta figure out the amount of room i have.