GC Standards- Would you stay?

samurai nightling

Would you stay?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So if we start enforcing zero tolerance on swearing as well as drug references as maybe we should have from the start, would you still play here?

Heck would you have even joined GC and stuck around?

This would mean no swearing of any kind in the server. Not even the small ones. And no referencing drugs, drug use, being on drugs, or paraphernalia.

I'm just curious.

So what if I let a swear word slip accidentally? I mean, I rarely swear anyways, but it slips every once in awhile. Even though I apologized after letting the F bomb slip one time, I still got muted. :V (although I didn't have the slightest problem with it)

So, what my point is, if I get muted for accidentally saying a swear word now, I would get a ban for letting it slip after the change? Even with minor words? I know you said it was like that in the old days on Vent tonight, but with how most people are nowadays, that seems a bit extreme. So would "wth" not be allowed then either?

Regardless, I would still play if you went back to the old rules or not. But I doubt many people would stay to be honest.

It would be the same as someone accidentally letting slip the f-word. You should only just get warned the first time, but if you're going to spout off "f the f'ing f'ers", then you're gonna get kicked/banned. Unless you were warned about swearing the first time, a mute shouldn't really be happening.

It would be the same as someone accidentally letting slip the f-word. You should only just get warned the first time, but if you're going to spout off "f the f'ing f'ers", then you're gonna get kicked/banned. Unless you were warned about swearing the first time, a mute shouldn't really be happening.

+1

The drug stuff isn't up for discussion. Why that was let through this long.... Uhhh.... Yeah, why?

As for language, an occasional slip isn't the end of the world, a gentle warning, move on.

But keep this in mind. You can set voice/vent to push-to-talk and bind a button. It is now a choice, your choice, to vocalize your thoughts to the community.

Trust me - all GC let fly choice invectives while playing. We just don't push it through to voice chat. Hell, Jack managed to keep it in check; pretty sure you can as well.

We're talking some core GC things here.

Here's another. Would you let your twelve year old nephew play on a GC server? You should if it is a true GC server.

Honestly, if an abundance of strong language and drug references are more important to your enjoyment of the server than the game type, players, and community backing it this may not be the place for you.

You can get the former just about anywhere. The latter not so much.

(edited)

Its awkward cus contradictions..

The drug stuff isn't up for discussion. Why that was let through this long.... Uhhh.... Yeah, why?

Here's another. Would you let your twelve year old nephew play on a GC server? You should if it is a true GC server.

Honestly, if an abundance of strong language and drug references are more important to your enjoyment of the server than the game type, players, and community backing it this may not be the place for you.

1. On a "True" GC l4d2 Server, there is decapitation, bots cussing (from S*** to B****), and massive blood and dead bodies.

Who the heck would let their 12 year old nephew play?

2. Its awkward when there is a 0 tolerance towards "drug stuff" when there is a literally an admin command- !drug that is used by admins often!!! oops!

(if youre not familiar with it because you dont play l4d2- !drug makes your screen look like your on some psychedelic drug and is very disorienting)

Once again this is a mature game, and you SHOULD NOT let your 12 year old nephew play.

Edited by Times138

Regardless of the rating, that is still how we have always been and its how we roll. Times you make points that people have tried to make for years, and the fact is many people under age 17 still get their parents to buy them games rated M. Is it bad parenting? Maybe, its not really our call though. Just because someone is subjected to that kind of content from the game itself doesn't mean they have to be subjected to it from the players in the server. Pretty much that's the bottom line.

I think I might personally stop putting up with all the bull in the server, and a lot of people are going to hate me for it.

Trust me - all GC let fly choice invectives while playing. We just don't push it through to voice chat. Hell, Jack managed to keep it in check; pretty sure you can as well.

I curse like a sailor in real life, like f-word appears in most of my sentences, along with the other 14 swears. The only time I dont swear is when I see kids around, or if I'm playing in GC game server. I actually kind of liked that, the worst I say is "Son of a...", I havent been really called out on it.

DUH its bad parenting!

I understand that you dont want people to cuss, but its awkward when somebody slips the word S**T and gets punished while bot Nick screams Son of a *****.

but lets not start that up again..

Address the part of GCrules have a 0 tolerance towards "drug stuff" and how youre going to put the iron boot down on "drug stuff" -all while admins regularly use the !drug command!

Thats kind of hypocritical and awkward.

Please eloquently defend yourselves.

(edited)

Defense = we get rid of the !drug command. Problem solved. Is that eloquent enough?

haha nope.

You're always so frustrated with everyone breaking rules, and according to FK there is a 0 tolerance towards drugs, yet you continuously !drug people!

I do not have a problem with the !drug command, i was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of a few whiny admins.

No comment on the hypocrisy, just in hindsight get rid of the command?.. got it.

Edited by Times138

Times, not gonna win this one. I can pull threads on this *exact* subject from years ago... pushing a decade now actually.

There is a difference between the game and the players. If we applied the logic of {if in game} then {players can do it} there wouldn't be a GC.

And ease off the whiny admins remarks; cmon. Was that really called for?

• Like 1

(edited)

Defense = we get rid of the !drug command. Problem solved. Is that eloquent enough?

yet you continuously !drug people!

Do I need to pull server logs to show I've maybe used that command once in the entire existence of the server? And definitely not in this entire year so far. Not sure who you think is drugging people....

Oh and maybe part of why i bring this up is that the "hypocrisy" as you say may soon be cleaned up. And then everyone will have to deal with it.

Edited by samurai nightling
  • Like 1

Its awkward cus contradictions..

1. On a "True" GC l4d2 Server, there is decapitation, bots cussing (from S*** to B****), and massive blood and dead bodies.

Who the heck would let their 12 year old nephew play?

I played Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, and even Duke Nukem 3D as young as first grade and I turned out fine. I never used words I heard in video games in real life until I was much older. Heck, I made Doom 2 more violent by having enemies bleed pools of blood instead of the tiny little pixels you would normally see on the ground. Point being they never influenced me at all. I played CS as young as the 7th grade. What's so different from letting a 12 year old play this game compared to them overhearing a R rated movie?

2. Its awkward when there is a 0 tolerance towards "drug stuff" when there is a literally an admin command- !drug that is used by admins often!!! oops!

(if youre not familiar with it because you dont play l4d2- !drug makes your screen look like your on some psychedelic drug and is very disorienting)

Once again this is a mature game, and you SHOULD NOT let your 12 year old nephew play.

Please do some research next time. !drug is built into Sourcemod so it's not something we can just "get rid of because of a 'drug reference'". !drug isn't referencing anything. It could be some side-effect from an over the counter drug for all you know, but...oops, I guess we can't go there either from what you're saying. I mean

. I don't think he was on anything bought off the street and it sure looks like he was on something, but oops! He was drugged with something so that must mean it was bad, right?

The word "drug" in the situation you're bringing up is being used too loosely. "Drug stuff" refers to street drugs. Illegal substances. !drug isn't any of that. Now if the command was !heroin, that would be a different story, but it isn't.

• Like 1

No doubt I still be here. Kind of upsetting though to feel like we're back in 3rd grade when a kid would say a curse word and gets punish by the teacher. What about three tolerance eh? Just think there should be some soft ground we can walk safely.

(edited)

oh god.

okay quickly.

FK-

Oh, but what happens if I try to stop people from acting like that? People get all tinkley and say "relax" or question server rule ethics and whatnot then come on the forums and complain that admins are acting unfairly and it's "ruining the atmosphere of the server".

Jackiechan can insult anyone who has a suggestion in forums, buy calling them "tinkley" but when TIMES say hes whining- Its too far? theyre about the same caliber of remarks.

I also said lets drop the letting 12 year old watching people get decapitated in video games debate.. yet jackie chan continues to talk about it, with one of the worst arguements- "I played violent games and I turned out ok" ... Am I really supposed to take that argument seriously? I NEVER even said l4d2 lead to violence! i just dont want my 13 year old nephew watching gore and hearing the B*** word over and over.

Nightling- I dont care how sparingly you claim to used the !drug command, Jackiechan uses it all the time, and hes an admin. He gets free reign to !drug ppl on a ZERO TOLERANCE server.

Jackiechan- I have the choice to take somebody's argument seriously, and I will not take the last one about !drug having nothing to do with drugs, as a serious argument. no offence.

also saying

Point being they never influenced me at all. I played CS as young as the 7th grade. What's so different from letting a 12 year old play this game compared to them overhearing a R rated movie?

You realize youve dug yourself into a hole with this logic? Rated R movies often have foul language and drugs. Things GC stands against.. Do you see how youve completely contradicted yourself?

Edited by Times138

(edited)

And ease off the whiny admins remarks; cmon. Was that really called for?

Jackiechan can insult anyone who has a suggestion in forums, buy calling them "tinkley" but when TIMES say hes whining- Its too far? theyre about the same caliber of remarks.

Hate to break it to ya, but ALL sites with admins and moderators are like this. When I was a moderator, I did whatever I wanted (without pushing it too far). Admins didn't care. But after my moderation period was over, I did the same thing. I trolled other members. They didn't like that. Because I wasn't a moderator anymore! "wait what?" Yeah.

One moderator would warn a member for bypassing the swear filter, and warn others for swearing, and he would swear over and over to show how the filter works, even though you're not supposed to do that (once is enough). He's also a *insert descriptive word of jerks here* to everyone. But he gets away with it because he's a moderator.

You're admins. You are supposed to be respectable. Not act like you are exempt from rules (not saying anyone was doing that, but I thought it should be said anyways).

I also actually ended up leaving the site after my ban there was lifted because of their hypocrisy. "We can swear, but you cannot. We can do this, but you cannot. Because our names our gold and red. Yours is not." I would really hate to see that here as well.

Edited by Lyndy

Lol. This took me like an hour to read. Okay

Hmmm....

Age vs M for Mature-

Aww this old battle will never go away. There will always be people pro and con on this topic. I'm on the fence my nephew who's 12 plays COD3 on Xbox live and you know they don't filter. So seeing as how the debate will never be won my point be

Point- while l4d2 has swears in the game gc wants a community where kids can play and not hear adults being sailors, being mean, basically being able to play monopoly without an F U!

Drugs are bad?

Okay yes absolutely it's nice to not read I'm all hopped up on cocaine or let's shoot a line ect. But if some types oh I'm baked vs I baked it's a pretty obvious which is betty Crocker and which is not. So point

Point- if you are referencing drugs in the use way or what society thinks is bad yeah don't allow now !drug if it truly feels contradictive then have admins not use it but it's not referencing anything.

Admins vs the world (round 5) I think we are on 5-

Point- blah blah blah. Okay I don't have an issue with any of the admins. But I will say its easy to get frustrated. Admins are like managers they have different rules, maybe one is more nice, maybe they do things different. They all have the rules outline. It will never be 100% consistent but if they can stay 90% that'd be nice.

Without naming names to the admins- some of you stay consistent on your opinion. Some of you complain about this that and the other over and over and over BUT you never do anything. It's one thing to vent its another to every other day oh Im going to be tough or oh I'm going to get this mod changed or so on.

Look regulars have rode the fence for a long time they either push the rushing bonds or as of late they razz the other team poor sports. If it bothers you that much change it. I'm so tired of reading over and over we are bring the hammer down and then it's plush. Make up your minds!

(edited)

Before admins deemed "poop" as being allowed, I always had the impression and played the server as it says in the description - "gc is a clean server". So no, I don't have a problem with this.

If someone does slip up - give it a warning - I know some of you guys prefer the act first think later method, but a warning or two won't kill and might even reap in some new members.

On a side note:

I remember about a few months ago, finales were NEVER skipped, and if it did happen it was a rare occasion. I remember specifically Night and a few others did not approve of skipping on finales.

Can we bring this back?! It's frustrating when teams actually communicate and work for the win only to get it skipped on finale. If anything, give the other team 30-40 points if the score cannot emit a win for the other team (1300 is the score difference for finales fyi so you can do the calculations). Bring the fun back, and not the bull.

Also, don't start on "oh we bring up a vote for a reason" -- if you have not noticed, I can almost say with 100% accuracy that 95% if not 100% of the map change votes that gets brought up goes through.

Edited by JyKri
  • Like 2

oh god.

okay quickly.

FK-

Oh, but what happens if I try to stop people from acting like that? People get all tinkley and say "relax" or question server rule ethics and whatnot then come on the forums and complain that admins are acting unfairly and it's "ruining the atmosphere of the server".

I also said lets drop the letting 12 year old watching people get decapitated in video games debate.. yet jackie chan continues to talk about it, with one of the worst arguements- "I played violent games and I turned out ok" ... Am I really supposed to take that argument seriously? I NEVER even said l4d2 lead to violence! i just dont want my 13 year old nephew watching gore and hearing the B*** word over and over.

Nightling- I dont care how sparingly you claim to used the !drug command, Jackiechan uses it all the time, and hes an admin. He gets free reign to !drug ppl on a ZERO TOLERANCE server.

Jackiechan- I have the choice to take somebody's argument seriously, and I will not take the last one about !drug having nothing to do with drugs, as a serious argument. no offence.

also saying

Point being they never influenced me at all. I played CS as young as the 7th grade. What's so different from letting a 12 year old play this game compared to them overhearing a R rated movie?

You realize youve dug yourself into a hole with this logic? Rated R movies often have foul language and drugs. Things GC stands against.. Do you see how youve completely contradicted yourself?

Never seen him insult anyone on the forums, Ive seen him complain about people making suggestions, because it was either a: Ones he was gonna make and it got shot down (which now people are asking to make those changes, in itself ironic), or b: Ones he added, but people wanted them remove (who now want it back in). No one mentioned you whining.

drugs =/= street drugs. There are several drugs that are over the counter that give you the effects that !drug does. Therefore !drugs doesnt equal street drugs, because the word drug is vague in itself. If youre talking about taking a substance to get a high, then yes you shouldnt be talking about it.

• Like 1

(edited)

@Valen, im sorry but youve misread a lot. Nobody mentioned me whining, because I was talking about how some admins are whining

about ppl not obeying rules and may not be consistent or even hypocritical themselves. (which is physically impossible for an admin to do apparently).

So you have misread and mistaken who the subject was and who was saying what- which isnt a big deal.

Well, i guess you guys are attempting to go for the !drug does not Exactly mean "drug stuff"-FK because it is vague..

This isnt the strongest argument but I suppose it is one way out of being a hypocrite for that !drug command on a ZERO TOLERANCE on drugs community.

1. the command !slap is used when slapping, !freeze when freezing, !blind when you are blinding, and !drug for drugging, since when is it EVER appropriate to drug somebody?

Dont get me wrong- i could care less when admins slap and drug me, its cute and sometimes funny.

BUT to say that Drugging somebody is ever innocent or appropriate, really isnt,

and if you wanna get RIDICULOUS and put it in real life terms-- Drugging somebody is almost always around date rape situations.

and dont get cute and talk about getting your teeth pulled. Jackiechan says well its not specifically !heroin somebody and its vague? Specifically- to get wisdom teeth pulled you get "General or Local Anesthesia"

So dont pick and choose what you want to be vague, and what is specific.

I REALLY never cared when ppl were !slapped and !frozed it was fun because its a video game.

I just saw an obvious flaw and hypocrisy in admin actions but it had to go into all this rhetorical BS- because - a few admins will never admit wrong. (except maestro)

Edited by Times138

Also, don't start on "oh we bring up a vote for a reason" -- if you have not noticed, I can almost say with 100% accuracy that 95% if not 100% of the map change votes that gets brought up goes through.

In reply to your side note--since I feel it's mostly me that puts up these votes:

So you could also say with 95-100% certainty that all proposed votes 'go through'?

I'm not sure how this made-up stat helps your point, since it tells me that most people want to skip finales in a blow-out win scenario. Maybe you're saying the players don't know that they don't actually want to skip? Sorry to be defensive.. in any case I'll try to think of other options other than proposing skip votes in these situations. We happy?