Acronym's in game

zero0

I think most people have played with me on the server and would say that generally I am a pretty nice person and that I don't dry to skirt the rules or push any envelopes or insult anyone. What I am saying is quite simple. A person that uses an acronym is not using the word. If the person was in a trial and about to be executed and you asked did he swear, you would say no, but he used a word that represents a swear, but is that the same as the swear, well no, but we knew what he meant by it. Yes I realize that, but did he use the word. After him hawing around you would have to come down eventually to the FACT that he didn't swear. If I gave a picture of turkey sandwich and I say doesn't that look good and you say yeah, then I say well eat it then. you would say, but thats just a picture of a sanwich, and I said, but that picture represents one and its just the same thing right. I mean the picture put that thought of the realy turkey sandwich in your head and that the same as a turkey sandwich. A person using a euphemism is trying NOT to be vulgar, hence the acronym. This is my only point. The rules say no swearing, not no thought crime. and again if you are using them for hateful intentions towards another player it falls under different rules and the language is almost irrelevant.

I think most people have played with me on the server and would say that generally I am a pretty nice person and that I don't dry to skirt the rules or push any envelopes or insult anyone. What I am saying is quite simple. A person that uses an acronym is not using the word. If the person was in a trial and about to be executed and you asked did he swear, you would say no, but he used a word that represents a swear, but is that the same as the swear, well no, but we knew what he meant by it. Yes I realize that, but did he use the word. After him hawing around you would have to come down eventually to the FACT that he didn't swear. If I gave a picture of turkey sandwich and I say doesn't that look good and you say yeah, then I say well eat it then. you would say, but thats just a picture of a sanwich, and I said, but that picture represents one and its just the same thing right. I mean the picture put that thought of the realy turkey sandwich in your head and that the same as a turkey sandwich. A person using a euphemism is trying NOT to be vulgar, hence the acronym. This is my only point. The rules say no swearing, not no thought crime. and again if you are using them for hateful intentions towards another player it falls under different rules and the language is almost irrelevant.

i bolded this key part:

wiki:

euphemismis a generally harmless word, name, or phrase that replaces an offensive or suggestive one. Some euphemisms intend to amuse, while others intend to give positive appearances to negative events or even mislead entirely. Euphemisms are used for dissimulation, as alternatives to unpleasant topics (especially death), and to mask profanity

thMy Though:

When a person finds a word that is not allowed in front of people or in a situation but they find the need to still use that word they have creatively come up with various was around said word. I.e. fudge, truck, shoot, darn. Now comes of level of the word. While some find swearing to be on an even playing field from Sh** t to C**t being equally offensive there are people who have a scale of D**n and S**t tolerable in a day to day or in public BUT still find F**k and C**t inappropriate.

You can see that most people still find certain swears offensive or off color as my grandma would say.

Even as times have changed from Frankly Scarlet I don't give a damn to now people are saying B***h on regular cable there are still words that don't cross that line and probably never will.

Socially acceptable curse words is evolving and so are peoples creative ways of getting around the offensive ones. F.M.L and W.T.F

Why is it harder to type WTH (acceptable) or aww man or darn.

JoeW.T.F. dropped the last part when asked and he didn't hit the roof and make a big old post nope now he's JoeWow

I leave you with this. This is not a comedy show, this is not a parent who doesn't know. We are adults who know. Let it go and get over it.

Edited by chick82

GC Server Admin

I refer you to the post by Biggs who put it so succinctly :

These acronyms are marginally less offensive than the whole phrases spelled out, but to simplify things for everyone--players and admins alike--we've made a clear ruling that they're not allowed. There should be less confusion this way.

Failing to comply with this simple request may result in a warn/kick and repeat offenders should realise that their actions will have consequences.

It is not the Admins or Servers fault for applying rules, they are here for a purpose and that is to help you behave with dignity and have respect to ALL concerned; finally and above all else, this is what makes the GC Community stand above the rest of the servers out there and I think that I speak on behalf of everyone who contribute to this server by saying, we wish this to remain the case.

Edited by MPG1770

Well, first of all i don't think this is a stupid thread or anything, this is a giving of an opinion and i think that it's well stated. But the rules are also well stated.

I like this kind of debates because i feel that we can make some points for everyone to understand.

Let's see 2 situations (please this is just examples):

A:

New Guy: oh my FFS TRUCK U.

Regular: Hey, we don't use here the F bomb.

The admin in this case obviously is going to warn and maybe kick New Guy, but it also has to warn Regular? I don't think so.

B:

Regular (trying just to joke): this is effing crazy...

In this case, well, it is not something negative at all, but i think this deserve a warn, because this foment to other new guys to think that they can use the swearing here.

Now, i do understand the point of zero, i play with him sometimes, i never heard him swearing. (I'm not defending him tho). But i think that the use of letters even if it is in just some silly cases is not a good example for new guys. That's all. The regulars have to give good examples, always.

Now, if i want to say "I like the song Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo" do i deserve a warn? Just kidding, i never going to say it. Even if i do like the song.

EDIT: Excuse my lack of english.

Edited by mavC
  • Like 1

Ok, I understand what people are saying, but in some cases we are mixing two different rules here. The examples A and B Mavc gave about are an expample of what I am talking about. In example A the person is personally attacking another player and forget the implications.....he's attacking another player even if he wasn't being cute about the language, that still violates the rule about respecting other players. The reason the guy in example A is getting kicked is because he's being a jerk to another player and personally insulting them. The person in example B is not attacking another person he's making a general statement about the gameplay.

I will give an example of what happened to me last week and what started me on this silly quest. I was playing in the server the round had ended and a new one had begun. It was a very close and competitive game and the tensions were high. At the beginning of the round as a result of a server glitch and not a vote or a action of the admins the teams scrambled and the second I noticed I typed in the all chat WT*. I was not angry w/ anyone, I was not talking to a person at all, I was more or less thinking out loud, about what just happened to this game. I got a warning 1 of 3 from an admin. I immediately said what is that for? They replied no swearing in the server. I said I didn't swear in the server. They said I don't allow that acronym. I said that is the stupidist thing I have ever heard, we cant type letters that form no words. Everyone knows what that means. I said I know thats why I said the letters, because I know what they mean, but I didn't want to use vulgar language. I meant no disrespect to the admin even though I got a little heated, I play w/ that person all the time and they are fun to play with and meant no disrespect, but I thought that was a ridiculous (at the time) the notion that we ban the use of letters that don't form words.

One final note. This thread has about 30 replies in it as of this writing. In those replies, not a single person spelled out the acronyms or said the words the acronyms or euphemisms represent. If they had, they would have probably got in some trouble. However in most every thread someone gave several examples of acronyms and euphemisms over and over and not one person complained, warned, or banned a person for using those foul letters etc. Does anyone else see a little hipocracy here?? It's perfectly acceptable to use them in a discussion on this forum, but using the exact thing in a game chat is a no,no. The reason no one complained or got in trouble is because they didn't actually swear, they found a way to convey their thoughts in a way as to not use vulgar language, therefore no one was really offended, even though we know what those things meant.

The problem with using acronym for a curse word is your way of avoiding responsibility for actually saying the curse. Instead of owing up and just say it (which can be avoided entirely), you put the word into the listener's head. We process the puzzle behind your acronym and then we realize the full word in our head, which in turn harms us more than you.

I mean no direspect, but I found this reply amusing from a player with the name "Jerkoff", which has a multiple implications..............................

Okay zero, so if a student is in class and swears, then gets sent to the principal and the teacher tells the principal the words is he being a hypocrite? Is a cop chasing someone for speeding being a hypocrite?

It is one thing to have adult discussion about things, it's another to get mad or for whatever reason (minus someone saying hey no f bombs or you can't use w.t.f.) to type or say it in game.

Does this really warrant two full pages of essay-length posts? Jesus, just don't f***ing cuss on the server (see what I did there?), and don't use acronyms of known cuss words/phrases. It's like holding your finger in someones face and screaming "Not touching you! Not touching you!".

• Like 1

Okay zero, so if a student is in class and swears, then gets sent to the principal and the teacher tells the principal the words is he being a hypocrite? Is a cop chasing someone for speeding being a hypocrite?

It is one thing to have adult discussion about things, it's another to get mad or for whatever reason (minus someone saying hey no f bombs or you can't use w.t.f.) to type or say it in game.

on the teacher it depends.....if the teacher uses the actual word in front of the principal then yes, she is breaking the exact seem rule she is asked to enforce, but if the teacher merely states the s- word etc. She isn't using the offending language, she is using an acronym or a euphemism to describe the word used which is not the same thing. If I was a student telling on another student and I tell the teacher they said the s-word.....would probably not get into trouble, but if I actually said s**t that would be different.

on the cop......it isn't a fair example. A cop chasing the speeder is doing so, because it is against the law to actually speed and puts innocent lives are in danger. It is not against the law to swear, nor are you putting lives in danger. It is merely in poor taste in some settings. Including gameplay in this server, but I am not speeding, and they shouldn't be able to pull me over because I thought about speeding or inferred to the passengers that I want to speed.

I am not trying to split hairs. I am making a distinction. If I had a way of spelling F backwards and then spelled the F-word, I would be splitting hairs, but technically not be swearing, because a reverse F is not an english letter. I know thats a stretch... a technicality of sorts, but when I throw out acronyms or euphemisms I am not actually attempting to spell or say an offensive word. I am refraining from any attempt to type or spell the word out or directly say or spell the offensive word.

I am not saying that its OK to insult someone using ancronyms etc that falls under different rules and if you took the ancronyms out, that person would still be a jerk and maybe deserve a kick etc. I am merely saying that an occasional inference in a game can be quite entertaining and humorous at times if it is not directed at a person as an insult.

As you said we are adults here and a little humor without, actually using the words can be quite funny at times if there is no malevolence intended.

They're not allowed on the forums, in Retro, and they shouldn't be in L4D.

We can't just let the L4D server be the mutant zombie baby of the community.

I really don't get why people have so much trouble understanding that these are GC's rules, not yours. They've been around since before CSS.

• Like 1

Members should be held to a higher standard than those who are not. To be a member of the GC community is to accept the good, the bad, and the ugly rules, whether we like them or not. In a situation like this, it is so easy just to not use the acronym or swear word. If it is a rule that changes the way you play, then yes, by all means, veto for a change. However if it changes the way you express yourself and changes the way you enjoy the game in general, I suggest you take a long look at whether this community is right for you.

To my knowledge, this server has not, nor ever will change this rule, add any loopholes, or allow acronyms that are "harmless", no matter how many protesters there are. It's like trying to get Wal-Mart to unionize it's workers. It just ain't gonna happen. You're barking up the wrong tree here.

I know I don't speak for GC, but I'm really sure they aren't going to change a rule like this. Maybe a different rule, a small one here and there? Sure. But the main ones, No swearing or profanity of any kind, and showing respect to all will never change, and that's the way most of us here like it, why we joined, not just for the reserve slots and the hats. Those things are just extras.

And can we stay on topic here, instead of getting into a battle of "he said, she said"? I'll be honest: WE DON'T CARE WHAT ONE PERSON OR ANOTHER SAID IN THE PAST. THE ISSUE IS ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT TO ALLOW ACRONYMS AND THE LIKE, NOT WHAT CHICK, OR ZERO, OR SOME OTHER RANDOM PERSON SAID. Please, can we stay on topic and off the petty insults? Thanks.

Edited by MattKemp
  • Like 2

A:

New Guy: oh my FFS TRUCK U.

Regular: Hey, we don't use here the F bomb.

The admin in this case obviously is going to warn and maybe kick New Guy, but it also has to warn Regular? I don't think so.

You can also say, 'hey watch your language'.

B:

Regular (trying just to joke): this is effing crazy...

In this case, well, it is not something negative at all, but i think this deserve a warn, because this foment to other new guys to think that they can use the swearing here.

Just drop the efff bomb and say, 'this is crazy'.

Again, knowing how L4D community use profanities in general I don't know think neither swear words nor acronyms should be allowed. Besides it seems only very few people like to swear or use acronyms. Most of the regulars should not be affected by this.

• 1 year later...

Zero now I'm tinkleed. You invited me to this conversation. The bugger of it all is i stand by Biggs.

It's context as well....

Excuse me as i give an example my friends....

So chick can stfu cause she wasnt there.

But Zero can stfua cause he was and im adding a direct description of my opinion towards him with on vowel.....

Can you see abd feel the difference....

PS chick and zero know im not attacking them they are variables of a conversation....

Lets check our selves here, I have a future of GC members watching me play on a weekly basis, ie children n neighbors kids.....

They know noone is allowed to swear at gc, and if wth comes up, they ask why they are allowed to swear!!!!!

I have kicked myself for dropping the f-bomb(what did come of paro?)

kind of hard to be banned if you call it out and kick yourself.....

Back to the point..... I whole heartily hope that more people can expand their vocabulary to be able to converse with adults...

This is supposed to be mature only.....................

Plus respect for others at our server...........

I have to stop here or I'll have to get an interperter for Lookback.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...