Venue Decision - Need Your Input Now!

Flitterkill

Decide  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You've got two days to provide input. More or less Tuesday afternoon to Thursday afternoon. After that one location disappears making your input irrelevent.

Truthfully speaking, meeting space costs have apparently risen. Alot. I could say more but screw it; this is the bottom line. Chose. Vote in the poll. If you are planning to attend don't null vote - choose. Comment. Sway others one way or the other.

Event cost per person has not been decided yet.

Clarion:

+ 24 hour access to space.

+ Familiarity, known infrastructure.

+ $5/person add-on for free soda throughout event.

+/- Outside of Hudson, OH - not embedded right next to food, stores, etc.

- Meeting space cost has more or less doubled compared to prior FFO's

- Food/drink policy (though signs point to that being ignored with little impact); all of it must reside in a separate room.

hudson.png

Akron:

+ South Akron location - surrounded by food and stores, walk-able in some cases.

+ No food/drink restrictions (one exception)

+ Golf course immediately adjacent (if we wanted to do that for Thursday)

+/- Infrastructure technically unknown. We can plug in to the mains so electric is fine.

- Alcohol prohibited in meeting space unless paid security present @ $24/hr. Would be an additional $150/night for an approx 5pm-Midnight; note that security could also take on FFO security @ same time leaving staff free (well, more free...)

- 1am to 8am space is closed.

akron.png

The price is the same for the following two choices:

Akron Quality Inn @ 4500 square feet, 1am to 8am closed period, food and drink whatever whenever but Alc/Beer only between roughly 6pm and 1am, walkable distance to local food, Staples immediately behind hotel, golf course 1/4 mile away. Rooms at $89/night. Ballroom and Center Room across hallway. This includes alcohol security guy from 5pm to 1am Friday and Saturday evenings.

Clarion in Hudson @ 3200 square feet. 24 hour meeting space, food/drink restricted to hospitality space, food/supplies some drive away. Rooms at $75/night. Past FFO attendees - the 3200 square feet is half the ballroom, not the entire ballroom.

I'm voting Clarion. The only downside of it I see is that it feels like it's in the middle of nowhere. All I remember is it being squeezed between freeways and there being a nearby Harley Davidson Dealership.

The pros outweigh that though.

GC Board Member

Closed. 11-1 for Clarion seems 24 hours is the thing.

My annoyance at rates having increased so much led me to already start putting out feelers for alternative venues for the future; if for nothing else to make sure we've got options.

Naturally of the two I emailed last night one venue is open this year, the other may be as well... Clarion is the choice if it's to be held at a hotel. Fatty brought up some power concerns with many people in only half the ballroom so I need to make sure on that for the Clarion.

But, and let me go all 30 for 30 on you here, what if I told you we could get 7000 square feet, 24 hours access, no food/drink restrictions, kitchen, bar(!), pinball, air hockey, and pool tables?

GC Board Member

1) If people are that idiotic to not manage their alertness/consumption mayhaps attending isn't the best of ideas. I get the convenience of stumbling within a building between room and FFO but c'mon.

2) I'm pretty sure we can manage a free-drive-back-to hotel program. Also breathalyzers are cheap.

3) Fatty asked if we can pitch tents inside. He's on-call for a site visit once I hear back. If not for this year, for future years.

Teaser:

bwh.jpg

EDIT: Available, and price came in on the right side. Arranging an onsite with Fatty now.

Parking for 60 cars plus overflow as well.

As I type this @ 410pm Eastern, Fatty and Mini are driving to visit and inspect the all-important power infrastructure. Also take pics maybe.

Shrug. Never underestimate the ability of people to make bad decisions.

Shaftiel

People always make bad decisions...especially shooting someone in the neck with a paintball gun.

That was not a bad decision. You had a wasp that was about to sting you on your neck. I saved your life. You can thank me later.

Shaftiel