Saferoom Griefing

PeanutButterNJelly

Last night's episode on the server was annoying. It was bad enough that a team of ALL MEMBERS (this was not a situation of two unbalanced teams), chose to spend a ridiculously long time in a saferoom because they were upset about losing. But after reading a post by one, not only defending his actions, but casting blame on everyone but himself is sad. I just want to say "thank you" to Tsunami for handling the unusual situation. She was on our team when they decided to "grief". She spent a very long time, warning them and telling them to leave the safe room. I dont think any admin would have put up with them ignoring the request as long as she did. She then told them why it was wrong and not to do it again. After she left...they did it the next map as well. They even all got the untouchable achievement, they were in there so long...they obviously had no intention of ever coming out. Only Nemesis came out, and our team didn't kill him, since we hoped he would at least start the event and the round would eventually end. After he couldn't start it (I dont think you can start that event when your team is still in the saferoom) we killed him, and they still refused to come out. Tsunami received a number of requests from people on our team, to come in and help. She was blocked by spectators, so couldn't. this went on and on. Finally she came in and did her best to temporarily ban the other team, but some of them left before she could. Some of the ones that escaped, said they wanted to leave the saferoom, but their team kept yelling at them not to. Again, its sad that this happened, but worse that no one accepts responsibility for a mistake and admits it.

Edited by PeanutButterNJelly
  • Like 1

Other times, when this has happened. We have seen Admins teleport people etc. I personally did not see anyone complaining. I admit that the chat area is something I don't always look and was not looking at that yesterday for sure, because I was doing two things at the same time. All I know is, when I have been on the other side of that, I don't complain and try to enjoy it. Heck, I death charged an admin 4 times in 1 round a couple of days ago. It was epic. Also, judging us when not on the team does not make sense. In all honesty, I wanted the round to end, but said nothing. Others were just following and others were leading. But to ban regulars shows there is no respect for members. Its my opinion. I don't hate anyone about it, but that clearly showed last night. We are just a source of funds to run the server that's it.

So, being a contributing member should exempt you from the consequences of violating server rules?

It doesn't matter if one person breaks a rule or if everyone breaks the rule, it's still breaking the rule.

• Like 2

In all honesty, I wanted the round to end, but said nothing. Others were just following and others were leading.

Groupthink- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

learn it, don't do it.

But to ban regulars shows there is no respect for members. Its my opinion. I don't hate anyone about it, but that clearly showed last night. We are just a source of funds to run the server that's it.

members should be held to higher standard and honestly you seem a bit arrogant about this. We have established you all were wrong for doing this and not once have I seen anyone apologize to tsunami. She at least deserves that. Admins owe you nothing because there are hundreds of others on the server we need to be concerned about.

• Like 1

In all honesty, I wanted the round to end, but said nothing. Others were just following and others were leading.

Groupthink- http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Groupthink

learn it, don't do it.

But to ban regulars shows there is no respect for members. Its my opinion. I don't hate anyone about it, but that clearly showed last night. We are just a source of funds to run the server that's it.

members should be held to higher standard and honestly you seem a bit arrogant about this. We have established you all were wrong for doing this and not once have I seen anyone apologize to tsunami. She at least deserves that. Admins owe you nothing because there are hundreds of others on the server we need to be concerned about.

i guess i missed the show.

if i were to leave my 2 cents I think its admins job to make sure all is having fun as well. if the team score that apart then that should've been a hint to bring up a vote scramble. but unfortunately there are some admins that do not want to do that and just want to win. same with some of the main regulars. anyways i thought flitterbugklla already handled this. All is good now. go your separate ways and have a wonderful day.

• Like 1

i guess i missed the show.

if i were to leave my 2 cents I think its admins job to make sure all is having fun as well. if the team score that apart then that should've been a hint to bring up a vote scramble. but unfortunately there are some admins that do not want to do that and just want to win. same with some of the main regulars. anyways i thought flitterbugklla already handled this. All is good now. go your separate ways and have a wonderful day.

Back when I ran my own server, I wrote it in so the scoreboard screen didn't calculate scores. always said 0. scores calculated and showed up as a panel (same place as the buy menu shows up) when the round ends and starts, and if a scramble occurred, which was automatic, the values were reset to 0 for both teams. defeated the purpose of stacking the teams.

why does a vote scramble command need to exist? why can't a scramble be automatic, based on the current score difference?

I've done it, so can you!

(this was not a situation of two unbalanced teams)

... really?

The score after the third round was 300 to 2300. In that third round, all of our corpses were within view of the saferoom (and most of them less than a few feet away from it).

The fact that it was a team of almost entirely members does not mean that it was balanced. It, was, not. Obviously if 10 people behaved a certain way, there was more going on than you've admitted here.

they obviously had no intention of ever coming out.

By the time tsunami came online, we were already out and were trying to fight it out from under an overhang. We stayed in long enough to be sure that nemesis hadn't actually started the event (he'd only answered the radio), and after that, we left. Tsunami did a round time check to see if we'd stayed in the safe room; she didn't see us there herself.

In terms of the fourth round, I do believe our behavior was juvenile and unacceptable. I apologize for what occurred there, as it was griefing and should not have happened. Moreover, I have stated that I respect Tsunami's course of action given the information available to her.

However, that said, I think what frustrates people is the way the 5th round panned out, and this is why we still see emotions about this issue. The fact is, while the infected team was obviously upset in the fourth round, and therefore we should have left, in the 5th round, it seemed that your team encouraged our behavior. Nemesis was the only one to go out BECAUSE someone on your team told us to send one person out, while the rest of us could stay. Later, when we saw the event wasn't going, we did leave and try to start it ourselves. On one hand, we were asked to leave in the 4th, and didn't, which yes, is wrong. On the other hand, in the 5th round, people didn't seem upset. They messaged Tsunami, but not us.

The long story short, I apologize for what happened in the 4th round, both for myself personally and to whatever extent I may speak for others, but I think the 5th round is another matter. Regardless, Tsunami is a respectable admin and I think she was in the "right." Admins have to make quick judgements about what is going on, and I probably would've done the same thing that she had in her situation. She's normally a very "nice" (in her own way ;)) individual, and is one of the most well-tempered administrators on the server. I have never witnessed her abuse her authority, and I don't believe she did so here.

Separately, all I read in this thread is an attempt to incite people, and I'm disappointed. Flitterkill told everyone to drop this issue when he lifted the bans. Everyone. That includes the supposed victims like yourself, Peanut. I really like you, and I think you're a great player (although I know you have inverse feelings towards me in both respects). I think you need to let this go, and people need to stop gossiping about it. This is supposed to be a friendly community, but all I see here, and largely in the last couple of days, is a lot of rage.

Edited by Leonebluen

Sky
(edited)

You wouldn't auto scramble at the end of each round; it doesn't scramble on finales, or a map that directly follows a map where a scramble occurred, and a scramble always occurs on the first round of a map.

But honestly, what you're saying sounds like justification for team stacking; "Ten of us are friends, so we're going to play on the same team and totally crush the 10 random players on the other team."

crambles aren't designed to hinder players from enjoying the experience, but they are designed to maximize the number of players who enjoy the experience. The goal is for as many people as possible to enjoy the game, not just the people who have friends in the game and who feel that stacking is okay under a given scenario or circumstance.

Edited by Sky

teams were imbalanced in the first map, where we had 9 make it to the safe and the other side only to the charger roof (dead air 1). 2nd round baloosh got skydiver on the ladder and wrecked us at the event. similarly i got skydiver on the ladder as well but we had a well coordinated attack at the end of the hallway which basically killed 2 people, and i bought tank in the hallway. im pretty sure by the 3rd round it was all regulars. we just had better team work, a perfect charge, smoke, jockey combo the the back corner and proceeded to do work from there. the other side had mavc getting skydiver by the alley where we were killed.

How were we going to save the dude, avengers?

Oh, yeah, go out and help him? Tell me, how well did that work out in the 3rd round? You know, the round where we all died LITERALLY RIGHT OUTSIDE THE SAFE ROOM. Trying to save him would've meant getting all of us killed.

-leone, from the other thread

this is ridiculous, he was literally 3 feet outside the safe, did you know if you move through the campaign which hint hint, you didnt, you automagically spawnblock everything? there are no hunter spots, the worst we could have done was get another charge in there.

By the time tsunami came online, we were already out and were trying to fight it out from under an overhang. We stayed in long enough to be sure that nemesis hadn't actually started the event (he'd only answered the radio), and after that, we left. Tsunami did a round time check to see if we'd stayed in the safe room; she didn't see us there herself.

!roundtime showed you guys were in for about 7 minutes 30 seconds after exiting the saferoom.

The fact is, while the infected team was obviously upset in the fourth round, and therefore we should have left, in the 5th round, it seemed that your team encouraged our behavior. Nemesis was the only one to go out BECAUSE someone on your team told us to send one person out, while the rest of us could stay.

many of us were extremely annoyed with the childish behavior and wanted the round to end.

Swat, I understand that you were upset, that much was made obvious by Tsunami's reappearance and banning.

However, my point is that you didn't talk to us about it. In the 5th round, the only time we really talked to your team was when someone, I honestly have no idea who it was, told us to send one person out to start the event.

The difference, Swat, is that it's hard to consider it griefing when the other team encourages it.

I voted for going to the overhang in the first place, precisely because of what you just said. In fact, I was the one who went and found what I thought to be the safest non-safe-room place on the map. However, I wasn't going to go out and die with one or two people when the majority wished to play in the safe room.

You're trying to play one-sided victim. Yes, it was wrong of us to take your fun away in the 4th round, but that was also the first round our team got to have any fun. Your team refused to help balance the teams; in fact, I remember being told something about how the auto-joiner put someone there and there was nothing they could do about it.... right.... fair.... Then, to ice the cake, your team only encouraged the behavior in the 5th round.

I'm not saying what we did was right. It WASN'T. I'm saying that it's ridiculous that people LOVE pointing fingers so much that you're all refusing to accept any blame yourselves. I've admitted that what we did was wrong, but does stacking the teams, refusing to balance, and then encouraging what we did make you blameless? I think not. The thing is, I don't even particularly care about who was to blame; I'm just tired of is every issue on the server turning into a blame-game and wish we could go one campaign without people exploding on each other.

Now, can we stop pointing fingers and just GO ENJOY THE DANG GAME, and make it fun for EVERYONE by just moving on, instead of turning this into a divided community because everyone wants to feel good about themselves?

(edited)

In the 5th round, the only time we really talked to your team was when someone, I honestly have no idea who it was, told us to send one person out to start the event.

Then, to ice the cake, your team only encouraged the behavior in the 5th round.

huh

Yes, it was wrong of us to take your fun away in the 4th round, but that was also the first round our team got to have any fun. Your team refused to help balance the teams; in fact, I remember being told something about how the auto-joiner put someone there and there was nothing they could do about it.... right.... fair....

when teams are full with non members and members and a member uses jointeam and joins the winning side, you want the member to go back to afk and wait for the spot to fill again so the poor sap who just rejoined can get kicked again on the off chance that the new member will be put on the losing side?

also

"They never asked for a scramble so I didn't think about it until I notice the scores (after they camped the saferoom)." -tsunami post #14 turbos thread. why is formatiing so hard.

Edited by swatfishy