A Question about Things..

Guest Orbital

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

I know it's been a while, but I saw this as a reason to come back to the community.

Today, when I was driving down a street in La Crescenta, CA, going around 35 mph [speed limit 35 mph], I was changing something on the radio and before I knew it I hit a car and crashed. I don't remeber much of it, but it sure scared the life out of me. If it wasn't for my seat belt, I probably wouldn't be here right now typing this. I am kind of loss in a sense of what to do or how to handle what I'm going through. It's a bit much, because the consequences I face are well to me, heavy.

I hit a 2000 Ford Taurus and that hit a 2003 Ford Mustang. These both belonged to one family, the Taurus to a dad and the Mustang to a 17-year-old just like me. They were both parked across the street from their home. They were gone on vacation, but had to come home early, and got a call on their cell-phone, telling them what happened.

My front right axel is ripped off, the wheel has been ripped off, my front right fender/bumper is gone.

On the Taurus: The front left, the rear left and right fender/axel/steering couplets are gone.

On the Mustang: The front left steering couplet is gone, and the right rear axel is shot.

I stood there, with a 2nd degree burn on my left forearm/arm and a 1st degree on my chin due to air-bag deplosion. I am somewhat in awe/shock at what is happening around me. I am somewhat scared/humbled/idioticly numb at what I have done. When I saw the 17-year-old girl come out of her dad's Suburbun, she was crying and crying. I know I had made her day horrible; I know I disappointed my parents and the family of the cars. I made so many people cry that day, it didn't seem like anything was possible anymore.

I write this, because I feel somewhat sad that the seat belt did save me, because facing this kind of pain/sorrow, just doesn't seem worth it. I don't know how to feel, and I wanted to ask others on their opinons and thoughts. I know it's kind of a vague thing to ask, but I wanted to ask. I am somewhat irked because it seems all this bad luck falls upon my lap. I got caught ditching school to be with a girl for the first time [ditching school] on Friday, I got a ticket for having minors in my car [2 months ago] because I accidently drove into a random DUI check-stop, and other things I am not sure at the moment about.

I was with a girl, that I had left my girlfriend to be with be from 12 midnight to 1 pm today, when I had to drop her off at go to work. I told her I'd see her at 8:00 pm today, because I wanted to see her and vice versa. I called her the second I got out of the car, stunned, sitting on the side of my car, and told her I wanted to just see her because I was in the wreck.

She drove down the road, and then made a left into the street across from me. She stared at me in her car, and just stood there for 3 minutes waiting, she drove down to end of the street, and came to end of the street again where she waited another 3 minutes looking at me. She then drove away. I called her when she got home to ask what happened, I was somewhat shocked/alone I suppose, and she said, "I saw your dad there..." and mumbled something else. She said, she couldn't see me tonight, and I guess I understood, but I still wanted to talk to her, of course I did, and she said that was fine. I feel somewhat.. lost in the situation with the girl, because [MO and a few others knows how long this story is with her ] I saw the look on her face when she just stood there in the middle of the street. I have to call I guess to figure out what is wrong, just... I wish the answers came a lot easier.

I write this to you, just for advice and piece of mind. Thank you all.

Good to see you again, Orbital. Wish it was for better reasons though :( .

I was in several accidents starting at the age of 18 until I was about 22. I really didnt start driving much until I was 18 so its not that I spent two years with no accidents. Accidents are terrible things. They make me sick to my stomach. Even if its just a fender bender. Cause now I know what the consequenses are. I have paid the high risk insurance fees. Lived on the edge of losing my license. Drove old clunkers cause I couldnt afford anything else cause of insurance.

My grandpa bought my first car for me. It was just a little used economy car but that was a big deal to me cause my grandpa bought it for me. First time I wrecked it I didnt total it. But insurance didnt cover it so I drove it with a caved in rear quarter panel. And that was after spending quite a bit to get the suspension fixed. I totalled in a year later. My grandparents have a really close family. I was the oldest grandchild. I was the only one who was given a car.

When I started driving I thought I was smarter than the usual teen. I never hot rodded or sped excessively. I tried to be safe. But I wasnt different than most other teens. I didnt realize the consequences. And I didnt realize what it took to be a safe driver. I only learned that with practice. I can gladly say that I havent caused an accident for over 10 years. But I had to learn the hard way just like a lot of others. So take lessons from this experience. Obviously you are facing some of the consequenses. But you still may not have learned everything you need to learn. So I encourage you to focus when you drive. I mean dont do anything else. You might say this was just an abberation. That is what I would have said about my first few accidents. But its is more like an indication. Learn from it. The consequences you are facing are not pleasant but, believe me, its not that bad!!!

Consider this: the girl cried and you caused her and her family to have a bad day.... But I guarantee you, if they have any sense at all, that they will learn a lesson in importance. A smashed care is fixable. Crying for it only causes you to think of what could have happened.

You werent drinking. You are physically ok. You wont have to spend every day with the knowledge that you took a life, maimed a person, destroyed someone's mental state. You ran into two parked cars. I can think of a few things that wouldnt have been quite so bad for you to learn some lessons. BUT I can think of a LOT of things FAR, FAR worse that could have effected you for the rest of your life!

So take some time and consider that this could be much worse. Learn from it so there wont be a next time. And dont beat yourself up over it. A couple of cars smashed is not that big a deal when you consider the broader scope of things.

Sharing this here helps. Find some support to help you through the day. Tomorrow things wont look so bleak.

You are alive. Thank God or whomever you want to. This life is fleeting, if you are still here to ponder your existence then BE GLAD! Some girl crying because you wrecked into her parents Taurus is just what 17 year old girls do. Forget that. You didnt hurt her. Learn from this...grow. Analyze your life, use this to your advantage.

I don't know why your g/f just took off, sounds kinda wierd. Could be that she was just freaked out, young girls do that sometimes. Or maybe she is sketchy, I dont know you will have to determine that for yourself.

Anyhow, be glad you are alive and that you didnt hurt anyone.

Oh yeah, I will be paying $250/mo for insurance when I get my new car, so I know a thing or two about bad luck also. You just deal with it and go on.

Be thankful Orb..I for one am glad you are here to chat with us, I missed you! :)

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests
(edited)

gOOt, you and Con are two souls on this planet that really turned my soul bright. Thank you both. and Playaa [doh!]

Edited by Orbital

(edited)

Very sad to hear this.

I don't know you at all Orbital, but I do admire your Tweaks and Guides, they helped me very much. I'm looking forward to seeing more guides when your life gets back into order. Again I'm sorry to hear this, I am sure life will get better, after all, life does has its ups and downs.

Edited by rackish

Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guests

just a car, you are more important to your family. Money is just paper too, everything will turn out fine orbit.

Sorry to hear about that Orbital. Rev and gOOt, great posts.

My driving experience started a lot like Rev's. When I first got my lisence(sp?), I was involved in several accidents and had a few speeding tickets. I did loose my driving priviledges for 3 months because I had too many incidents as a new driver.

Accidents are accidents. One I can recall, I sneezed coming to a stop and wasn't able to see the traffic in front of me stopping and I hit the back of another vehicle. I crushed the other cars bumper and mine and caused my radiator to leak. Another, I was looking for something and did the same as before. These all happened by the time I was 20 years old. Like Rev, I hadn't had an accident or speeding ticket in years. With age, you learn to be more cautious and are able to instinct to the other drivers on the road.

It has taken a while for me to talk about this other than family and friends, but I was in an accident last November that did take the life of a seven year old boy. That was devostating. I was not at fault for the accident, but knowing that I was involved and still is not easy for me to handle. Like you, I am very sad that I was not harmed other than a fat lip and sore back muscles, and a young boy lost the rest of his life that I know would have been enjoyable.

What is important is that you are ok. Cars can be fixed or replaced. Each day will get better and you can learn from this and many more expierence you will face in life.

Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guests

JOHN, get a standard, you will be a MUCH better driver if you learn the hard way first. I hated it when i first got my Xterra, but now i love driving.

I didnt read through all of the replies and I'm sure it's already been said but I'll repeat. Cars can be replaced, human lives cannot. Life throws us strange things that we do not know why or how. We could ask this question for the rest of our lives and we'll still never know why. Life isnt easy, it's not always fair, and sometimes it just plain sucks. The type of person we are is determined not by our victories, but how well we handle failure or bad times. Just roll with the punches bro and keep your head up. Find the positive things because there is something positive in EVERYTHING. One good thing to think about; the pit isnt bottomless. Just keep your eye on the end of that tunnell and you'll be out of it before ya know it :)

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

He's trying to help, and that's all that matters to me.

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

A great deal better. Life has, in the cliche phrase, a lot more meaning to me. I want to thank all of you. I realized life does move on, and I have to look to the future and not the past anymore. Thank you, one and all.