Ella's Room is "Finished"

Fatty

Welp, over the past few weeks, I, acting as project apprentice to Handy Man Bean, was able to finish our oldest daughter's "big girl room." New kiddo gets the nursery.

This is the story of the room.....

Here you see Ella in an outfit purchased by none other than Mini_Me. Note the old brown carpet. This is the room.

ellasroom1.jpg

You see, it was my office...formerly the pad of 2 young girls from previous family. It was rumored that the teddy bears on the walls kept me calm while playing CS. Welp, seeing as I'm in a cold basement now, oh nvmd.

ellasroom2.jpg

One day I came home and NoGood (brother-in-law) and my wife had ripped up the carpet and tossed it out the window. I think this was the message that it was time to work on the room. First the wallpaper had to come down. If you have never taken wallpaper down, I suggest you find somewhere to do it. It's great fun.

ellasroom3.jpg

Another shot of the room.

ellasroom4.jpg

We let Ella help tear some of the paper off. The slacker quit before she was finished.

ellasroom5.jpg

Then it was time to paint! Look at Bean go!

ellasroom6.jpg

And go!

ellasroom7.jpg

Same day...I think I did a darn good job cutting in around there! w00t!

ellasroom8.jpg

My wife would pop (ack! pun!) in to see what was going on and to remind us that we were on a timeline.

ellasroom9.jpg

Oooooo.....power tools! Had to tear up that old finish on the floor next!

ellasroom10.jpg

He's a natural.

ellasroom11.jpg

Here's me posing by the machine.

ellasroom12.jpg

Ella would also stop by to make sure we were on-task.

ellasroom14.jpg

All done sanding.

ellasroom15.jpg

Cleaning up here and there.

ellasroom16.jpg

Nice! The natural look of wood. Too bad the entire house is a dark, cherry color. I kinda like that light look.

ellasroom13.jpg

A nice shot of Bean here. If he's not walkin, he's crawling around.

ellasroom17.jpg

The staining was interesting. We decided that we let it sit too long and it became much darker than the trim around the room.

ellasroom18.jpg

Here you can see that it is considerably darker than the trim. We started to sigh, cursing the lady who mixed the stain. Then Bean came up with a great idea. While it was still wet, we had to apply another coat and wipe it off quickly and as hard as we could. This lightened it up a great deal.

ellasroom19.jpg

And here we are. The poly job wasn't really a two man job so I did that part all by my lonesome. It did help to also lighten up the stain with a shine. Only 2 coats, sanding with 400 grain inbetween. Done! GLHF, Ella!

ellasroom20.jpg

Thanks again, Bean! What a learning experience for me...a nice room for Ella, and another great selling point for the house whenever we move!

Don't let him fool ya. The Fatman did contribute quite a bit of work (I'd like to take all the credit, but it was definitely a two man project). I had a lot of fun helping out. It is one of the greatest things to be able to help out a great friend and do work that I enjoy. Plus, I get to take the Fatman out and make him run behind a mower to try to get him to shed some of the baggage. :D

I'm sure the saga will continue. We'll keep ya posted.

GC Founder

Let's discuss rent!!!

Welp, today was the day to move Ella in (still is).

While I'm cleaning the windows outside, Natasha decides to help and put her bed together....sliding wood across the brand new floor.... :(

I think I can get most of the scratches out.... :(:(

That room looks really great guys. Good Work!!!! That floor came out beautiful, my wife is already begging for me to put one in the dining room and kitchen and we haven't lived in our house for two weeks yet! I wanna know who in their right mind would cover that floor up with carpet in the first place? Anyways, looks great guys.

I hope to post up some of my own before and afters of the new house we just moved into. That's why I haven't been in CS much, wife is workin me to the bone.... :D

Oh yeah, and cong, I have a picture I wanna show you as soon as I get my server back up.

• 2 weeks later...