Fatty

Ok, we've got permission to pull the cover off of this:

conradDSC04136.jpg

Who's going to do that?

Next, we need to pull electricity from this:

conradDSC04142.jpg

down this:

conradDSC04143.jpg

which is about 125 yards. I've been told that's going to take some heavy gauge stuff, so who can get their hands on that?

Guest [DLM]->Mike
Guest [DLM]->Mike
Guest [DLM]->Mike
Guests
(edited)

where in OH is this?

btw. i got a electronics degree.

edit: akron eh. trip time is about 5 hours. i will see if its possible to make it. if I can I could do the wiring. as for the gauge of wire I will need to know about (within 3-4pc's) how many pc's will be there and who is buying the equipment?

Edited by [DLM]->Mike

Fatty is there any utility poles closer to that barn with electricity on it? Or are there any pad-mount transformers that feed underground nearby? It just seems that it would be easier to hook up a temporary service for the weekend if that was the case. 325 ft is quite a distance to run from that receptical, and for the gauge wire you would want to run, we would need a male plug that is rated for 50 amps at least (IMHO) or you would burn up the plug.

Another way we could spread some of the load would be to feed a sub-panel out of the exsisting breaker panel, that way we can best make use of all 240 volts, rather than just using 120.

And for anyone that may get the idea of running a generator to feed their computer, I would strongly suggest against it. There is a percentage of distortion in generators that ='s very bad for electronics.

GC Founder
->Mike,Jul 12 2003, 03:54 AM] as for the gauge of wire I will need to know about (within 3-4pc's) how many pc's will be there and who is buying the equipment?

I meant gauge because someone said that in order to run electricity so far using extension cords, you'd need a higher gauge cord. I should have said extension cord. We need to get the juice from that poll down to the barn...somehow.

As for the in-barn service, it's 100 amps.

Here are more pictures with a little more detail of the entire layout.

As far as PC's....take the number signed up (right now 54) and add 2-4 servers or so.

As for equipment, I may have enough FF03 money to buy that, but I would need exact descriptions....or I could just reimburse receipts if someone buys the stuff and brings it with them.

GC Founder
We have permission to do whatever we want with that panel in the barn (top picture).  Other than that, that is the only power, besides this other pole.

Need I mention we need to put it back the way it was? :ph34r: I gotta have the assurance that my electric people don't leave me with a new arrangement to explain to the owners.... :(

We will need some 20 or 30 amp breakers for the panel, I can bring some flex and enough wire for the internal wiring. I'm gonna work on making a box to run all the new circuits to with recepticles on it. The are some things to note, from the looks of it, the panel cover will have to stay off, so we may wanna make a little barracade around the area the panel is at so people know to keep clear of it. But then again with the age of everyone in attendance a verbal should be all that is needed.

As far as making use of the 220 box, I'm gonna talk with some of the more experienced guys at work as far as what all exactly we need and need to do.

GC Founder

A little more on the remote box:

That left hookup, like a camper plug thing, is 50 amps. Then there are 2 more 20's.

Swoop, I will reimburse you for whatever you spend to create this, but kinda give me an estimate if you can.

Leaving the cover off is fine, we just gotta undo what we do.

The wire will be free, the flex will be free, the wood will be free. The only thing that would cost us any money will be the recepticles (dirt cheap) and the breakers.

GC Founder

Ok, Swoop. What time can you arrive? Mini and I will be meeting the guys who are installing the wiring (mini, wanna post a link/plug here?) at noon on Friday. Would be great to get the electrical stuff done then too. I need a solid commitment that you will be taking care of this part.

Next, still looking for the way or ways to get that other juice down the way from the remote poll.

**The are some things to note, from the looks of it, the panel cover will have to stay off, so we may wanna make a little barracade around the area the panel is at so people know to keep clear of it. But then again with the age of everyone in attendance a verbal should be all that is needed.** - Swoop

hey swoop don't forget the few uninvited guests such as Jose Cuervo, Jack Daniels, and Jim Beam, who all have a serious predisposition to getting into just this kind of trouble!

Hey guys, from talking with the guys at work, they said we should be able to get 6 to 8 people per circuit since their really isn't any heavy load on it besides what we are putting on it. The box I am making will have 10 recepticles on it and all circuits will feed into it. So we will need some of you to bring some power strips. I have a few but not enough for everyone. It would be nice to have a centralized area around the tables for the unit to go so it's not to long of a run for everyone to draw power from. I will also bring between 3 and 5 heavy duty extension cords, but a few more would not hurt just to err on the side of preparation.

And we can just cut a piece of cardboard to fit our needs to cover the panel opening.

GC Founder

Are you saying you'll have 10 "circuits"? (scuse my lack of knowledge, but will each recepticle be on it's own circuit?).

Considering this:

lan.jpg

How would we seperate them?

We'll need one circuit reserved for the servers (game, hltv, projector(s)), so that leaves 9.

I'm going to stretch you...9 x 8 = 72?

At any rate, I'm going to predict that we have a total of 45 people (that's 11 noshows that are signed up). Naw, let's say 50.

So 50 into the 9 remaining recepticles would be 6 on each. Now, are you able to do all this from the 100 A service? (shut up m0m) or will we be needing to run from the poll?

I have 2 HUGE extension cords. Everyone should bring their own power strip, so we should be okay, especially if people toss an extension cord in their bag.

We'll run the power over the rungs of the ladders on the polls so that, again, there won't be any cords on the floor at all. If we have 50, that's 16, 17, 17 at each of those 3 tables, and we won't need to use the 4th....OR if people wanted more space, we could go 7 on each set of 3 tables (49 people).

A breaker for each recepticle Fatty, that was one thing I was gonna PM you about. We need to pick up some 20 amp breakers for the panel. We can do that when we get there, or if you tell me what brand/line that breaker panel is, I can get some here and bring them down with me.

GC Founder
A breaker for each recepticle Fatty, that was one thing I was gonna PM you about. We need to pick up  some 20 amp breakers for the panel. We can do that when we get there, or if you tell me what brand/line that breaker panel is, I can get some here and bring them down with me.

The best bet would probably be: You arrive at noon when I arrive with Tim and the wiring crew...then we cruise up to home depot.

GC Founder

I would say that several will continue to drop off (2 have in 2 days), then we'll have a handful of no-shows...we'll be all set when it comes down to it.

If too many more don't show, we'll have excess power and I'll be out some serious cash. :blink: