Building a comp...what to buy?

gOOters

Thanks DJ! I am still gathering my information before I pull the trigger. YOU make some great points. Especially about the MoBo. These days...it seems alot of motherboards have built in sound...I heard it is a pain in the arse sometimes to disable the stock sound card and switch to a better 3D sound card...what better way than to get a MoBo with great sound built in and forgo the effort and purchase of a seperate card! Besides I need the sound to continue my thru the wall AWP h4x. :boing:

Question: With a system like we are discussing here, will I be able to play HL2? That is...once I get down the road a little when I can afford that 9800Pro. :zombie:

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Gooters. lol. HL2 looks to be very damaging to Nvidia right now. I recommend you go to www.tech-report.com or any other tech website and see Valve's presentation. It took Valve 5x longer to do specifically code for the Geforce FX cards than to use the basic Dx9 instructions, and the ATI cards still own it. That is sad and this could also be a reason for the delay in the game's release. Sad.

Goot, to to www.nvidia.com and look up information on their soundcards in the nforce2 chipset. SoundStorm i think is the name. A lot of ppl don't like onboard sound. I find this one to be at least as good as an SB Live card. Keep that in mind. If you want something better, you might want to forego the onboard sound and get a cheaper Asus board (but stick with nforce2)

I did a lot of research about 6 mo ago...and had decided on the nForceII board then, for this exact reason, it looks like it is still the best value item, I am already decided on it, thanks DJ. How is the timbre in NY today?

Edit: The n in nForce...does it stand for N-Vidia? Will this board support ATI technology well? I would assume, yes.

Edited by gOOters

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Yes, I use the nforce mobo. I use the onboard sound, the onboard lan. And my ATI radeon 9500 pro works great in it.

Whelp I pulled the trigger!

MoBo -- NFORCE2 A7N8X-X ASUS R 1 $83.99

CPU -- AMD| 2600+ /333 ATHLON XP RTL 1 $106.00

DDRAM -- 256MB CORSAR32X64 PC3200 VS256 MB400 X 2 $102.00

Subtotal $291.99

Tax $.00

Shipping and Handling charge

Total $291.99

I am getting the case with 400W as a B-Day gift. So...I will be limping on my MX440 Vid card for awhile, but hey...I think I did pretty good for my money! And once I can afford a 9500Pro (or 9800Pro), I will be good to go! :boing::boing::boing:

Whelp I pulled the trigger!

MoBo -- NFORCE2 A7N8X-X ASUS R 1 $83.99

CPU -- AMD| 2600+ /333 ATHLON XP RTL 1 $106.00

DDRAM -- 256MB CORSAR32X64 PC3200 VS256 MB400 X 2 $102.00

Subtotal $291.99

Tax $.00

Shipping and Handling charge

Total $291.99

I am getting the case with 400W as a B-Day gift. So...I will be limping on my MX440 Vid card for awhile, but hey...I think I did pretty good for my money! And once I can afford a 9500Pro (or 9800Pro), I will be good to go! :boing::boing::boing:

THANK YOU for the help guys!!! Next week I will post a million questions as I build it :rolleyes:

My view on RAM is as follows, yes it can make a noticeable performance difference from the best to the worst. But if you got something decent from a decent company, casual users won't ever notice. As long as its a reputable company, you'll be fine. Also, given that RAM is so cheap these days, almost anything will do.

I would have agreed with you in the past DJ....but I have recently learned the difference between cheap ram and good ram.....if you check out pcboost.com you'll notice that you get a choice of 3 different "grades" of ram.....well in my experience I have bought all 3 different types from pcboost and the broker grade (the worst one) tends to break.....the standard grade (middle one) tends to last ok, while the Atlas grade (top one) works wonderfully.......so the type of ram DOES matter.......however I see goot got Corsair ram which is a pretty good quality ram.

the one good thing about pcboost.com is that all their ram has a lifetime warranty....and they've never fought me or my friends on sending it back (I've only had to send back broker grade a couple times and once for standard grade....and that's out of about 12 chips total so don't think they have horrid ram)

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

There is a signifigant difference in the quality of RAM. Back in the days of PC100 and PC133 RAM the difference was little. Now days you want RAM that is higher in speed than your board for potential over overclocking. RAM latencies and timing are very signifigant as well.

yes but speeds, latency and timing don't hafta do with the quality necessarily.....you can have good quality and bad quality with the same speed latency and timing.......

I was assuming DJ meant the actual quality of parts and makers....

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I understand where you are coming from Playaa, but quality and the timings of the RAM go hand in hand. For example, you can purchase RAM from Samsung with "ok" timings from Samsung and waste your money. Their RAM is junk. Corsair is probably the best for the money right now. I got my DDR400 Extreme timing RAM for 60 bucks a stick (256MB sticks). They are not the best timed RAM sticks out there (6-3-3-2) but a lot better than default and run great. So quality and timing go hand in hand. I used Generic RAM at one time without a bit of problem.

also goot the "blowout" deals on newegg seem to last FOREVER........usually it will say it will be there until a certain date....and that at that date......they start the deal again for another date............there is a motherboard on there with the same 2 week deal about 2 months after it started........so don't worry too much.

and anyway, with technology....prices always drop over time.......(that's because technology improves) so I tend to stay on the "scratched" (as opposed to the bleeding) edge of the market.

My computer may be a pos... AMD athlon 800MHz, 128mb RAM, running a 16mb TNT2 Model 64 Pro card... but with V-Sync off I usually run between 60-99 fps. Smoke doesnt seem to hurt too bad, but I also have detailed smoke switched off for the time being. I just keep forgetting to turn it back on :blink: