Rush Limbaugh quits job at ESPN

Fatty

Radio personality Rush Limbaugh resigned his position as an ESPN football commentator late Wednesday.  Limbaugh came under fire for claiming Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, who is black, has been overhyped by the media because of his race.

Via Akron Beacon Journal this morning.

Quit, resign, or asked/forced to? I didn't read into it anymore.

Ooops?

He was a little too abrasive for my taste. Football shows are supposed to be guys laughing at each other and having a good time. It was like they put him in the bad corner while the three other guys had a good time. It was like he was being brash just cause he was excluded from the "guys".

O and he didnt have many good points as well. -_-

Never saw him. Heard he just resigned before being asked to. I've listened to him a couple times. Not sure if I like his show. He and Hannedy, agree with most of their stands but really don't like the way they express themselves. Guess that would be my opinion of Rush in this case. I would hope I'd never go on TV and say something as stupid as he did. Racist or not, it was ignorant. I think you need to always respect what other people would want to hear. When your on Sunday Countdown there are plenty of people listening.

Really doesn't bother me cause he is, in my mind, typecast. He isn't a sports commentator.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

He took it a little too seriously is what he did. He should have just kept it simple. He wasn't forced to resign. What he said wasn't racist. It was something he should have just kept to himself or said on his show. He should have known that would happen.. people were just waiting for him to say something. This is an interesting piece about it:

Slate

It was a stupid thing to say...He was forced to resign. The other members of the show said it was a racist comment, they didnt like him on the show because he knows nothing about football, and he is a drug addict. Limbaugh=P.O.S. his ignorant comments are for his pro Rush club not ESPN. Go back to radio and choke on your prescriptions....

Go Sanders, Go Sanders!!!

I too thought he was a bit too much for the show. His comments, while not meant to be racist (I do not believe), simply politically motivated, have no place on a Foozeball program. Heck, If the greatest football announcer of our time can be fired for saying "He's like a little monkey flying between big trees, jumping from branch to branch" because the person he was talking about (a friend of his) just happened to be black, then Rush should be tar'd and feathered for this one.

As for his drug 'crisis' I'll haveta wait and see whats going on. I'd like to believe it of him because I don't care for the guy, but I will wait to pass judgement.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
It was a stupid thing to say...He was forced to resign. The other members of the show said it was a racist comment, they didnt like him on the show because he knows nothing about football, and he is a drug addict. Limbaugh=P.O.S. his ignorant comments are for his pro Rush club not ESPN. Go back to radio and choke on your prescriptions....

Wow, Sanders is the expert. He must know a lot about Limbaugh and football. Rush knows nothing about football, that is why ESPN hired him in the first place. LOL And Limbaugh is a drug addict. Wow more accusations without a drop of fact to back them up. Do not hate Rush so much because he is right. Maybe listen and learn. :lol:

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

People like you have been claiming that for 15 years and all you have to show for it is a drug claim and a ridiculous racism charge, and he's been falsely accused of that 100's of times. Next.

Edited by zerodamage

People like you have been claiming that for 15 years and all you have to show for it is a drug claim and a ridiculous racism charge, and he's been falsely accused of that 100's of times.  Next.

People like me?

Really?

I have to show what?

So many 25 year old college educated, sports car driving, extremely successful, independantly minded, paintball playing engineers over the years have accused Rush of being a racists and drug dealer?

I don't think I (in reference to your statement of "you") refered to him as a racist or a drug dealer, perhaps you meant all the people like me.

As I regress from MANY other discussions, you assume a bit too much and know too little about me to make blanket statements. Actually if you go back and read my first statement...I believe I said

...while not meant to be racist (I do not believe), simply politically motivated...

Now go troll somewhere else.

For ne1 else interested...I believe this pretty much sums up the situation.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/10/06/...augh/index.html

I have my radio set to ESPN in my car and before Rush resigned they were kinda backing him. But once he resigned Dan Patrick on his show was pretty fired up condemning him. I found it sickening. Either you are going to call it as you see it or you are playing up to your boss and peers. But to "come out" after the fact on your stance was just lame.

lol hilarious article knight...."franks listening to classical until he's cut off by another vehicle...yells out moron and the station changes to Rush Limbaugh" Zero im not trying to debate this topic with you because our views mean zilch. These posts of mine are opinions not facts...have a good day. :lol:

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
People like me? 

Really? 

I have to show what? 

So many 25 year old college educated, sports car driving, extremely successful, independantly minded, paintball playing engineers over the years have accused Rush of being a racists and drug dealer? 

I don't think I (in reference to your statement of "you") refered to him as a racist or a drug dealer, perhaps you meant all the people like me.

No, so many hateful liberals like you White. GO ahead and deny it, it doens't change anything. So many like you preach compassion and blah blah blah like when a hollywood actor is hooked on drugs or what not. Lets wrap our hands around him/her because he/she has a problem. Same with convicted murderers. Lets convert them to the light, blah blah blah. But when a conservative may be addicted to a drug, lets attack him as much as possible.

As I regress from MANY other discussions, you assume a bit too much and know too little about me to make blanket statements.
Nah, your hundreds of posts do not say anything about you. What was I thinking.

Now go troll somewhere else.

Go look in the mirror buddy. The only troll here is you. Nice spin though.

For it to turn out that he is also Kingpin of Drugs, that would be too funny.
This is pure ignorance and a total troll statement.

Moss had a drug problem at one time. I guess that makes him a "Kingpin of Drugs" eh?

And Cong said it right on. They backed up Rush at first and even thought nothing racist about the remark at all. But now that he Resigned lets attack the man behind his back. Tells you a lot about ESPN's professionalism.

Sanders, it is your opinion that Rush was going to get fired. A false opinion but an opinion non the less. I'll leave it at that.

Though I would enjoy to hijack this thread in fruitless argument with you, I am not going to this time. I am interested in the current discussion of Rush Limbaugh's impending downfall.

As I regress, I am not a liberal, though there is no problem with being one. I am an independant that leans conservative. If you disagree with me I would also invite you to start a thread somewhere and actually prove your assertion that I am a liberal. Otherwise, shut up with it.

A false opinion but an opinion non the less. 

Is there such a thing as a false opinion? I believe that what you should have said is something like I disagree with you...not that his opinion is false. No ones opinion is ever false.

Edited by White Knight

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
I am an independant that leans conservative.
:laughcry: LMAO. Oh please. Such a load of crap. Whatever.

If you disagree with me I would also invite you to start a thread somewhere and actually prove your assertion that I am a liberal.

Been there, done that. You are one. Your points prove it time and again. Keep denying it though. It is quite entertaining.

Is there such a thing as a false opinion?

When the Opinion is stated as though it is a fact (Rush was forced to resign/quit) isn't an opinion. It is a statement of fact, or in this case a false statement.

GC Founder

Zero, do not post in this topic anymore. You've been nothing but judgmental and instigating.

If this is what you're still doing in these topics, I need you to remove yourself like you said you were going to like 20 times. You bring anger into what was supposed to be a purely factual discussion. Your tone is continually degrading and insulting.

If this is what you're doing in the rest of the political forums, we're going to have to rethink things.

*whoa, i'm in the sports forums, I forgot! Felt pretty political. Perhaps I should move it.

Agreed Fatty...I skipped all that reading cause it was def in the wrong forum.

So, is this the wrong place to discuss if Rush was correct in his assessment?

Personally I think McNabb is a very qualified quarterback. He isn't the greatest but heck, I'm a Steelers fan and I'd LOVE to have a guy like that playing for us. So, on that account I think Rush was wrong.

I do agree that the NFL is pushing the race thing to far. I mean it does get toward reverse discrimination. The whole Detroit issue. They tried to interview a few minority coaches for the head job but nobody wanted to waste their time because they knew who was going to get the job in the end. Yet the NFL felt it was their fault and fined them. How much sence does that make?

I definately agree that the NFL and society in general pushes the race card a bit too much. As from my earlier quote from Howard Cosell, it shows that this race oversensitivity isn't anything new.

Now was Rush's comments out of place? Yeh, he brought politics into the show and the entire Liberal Conspiracy, and IMHO tried to use the show to further his agenda, instead of talk football.

I'm glad that Rush got smacked around for this...heck, if football commentators talking their political views became a norm...can you imagine? Madden, the man famous for discussing sweat competitions talking about his views on happy Marriages? Brent Mussburger (sp?) arging with his co host about whether The Patriot Act should be repealed. Man...that would be worse than watching Hee-Haw.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Mcnabb is an ok QB. He is good but not that great. Rush made a good point about it. The problem is that those who he attacked (the media) are who are now attacking him and calling his comment something that it isn't.

From Slate article, a sports writer with the facts.

McNabb has started for the Eagles since the 2000 season. In that time, the Eagles offense has never ranked higher than 10th in the league in yards gained. In fact, their 10th-place rank in 2002 was easily their best; in their two previous seasons, they were 17th in a 32-team league. They rank 31st so far in 2003.

In contrast, the Eagles defense in those four seasons has never ranked lower than 10th in yards allowed. In 2001, they were seventh; in 2002 they were fourth; this year they're fifth. It shouldn't take a football Einstein to see that the Eagles' strength over the past few seasons has been on defense, and Limbaugh is no football Einstein, which is probably why he spotted it.

The link is in my first post.

And here is the hypocricy of the media on this issue. Ignore this one

I definately agree that the NFL and society in general pushes the race card a bit too much. As from my earlier quote from Howard Cosell, it shows that this race oversensitivity isn't anything new.

It is ok for you to say it, but if a conservative says anything like it, he is a racist.

As for you fatty, sure thing. That is cool. I shouldn't expect anything different from those in here. I find it mildly amusing that I am always the one to blame here.