I've decided...

Xoul

Well, after reading tons and tons of reviews... I've came to the conclusion that the AMD64 3400+ would be better to get than the AMD 64 FX51... The first reason is, that the 3400 comes really close in performance. Secondly the price is really steap, and why spend that much on a CPU when I could be buying other needed componets. :D And some of the benchmarks with the amd64 3400+ overclocked it preformed better than the AMD64fx.Which is shown here. Off I go to tigerdirect to see w00t ima gonna buhy.

But 64's are pointless untill there is programs out for them and games. I dont see the point in buying one now when later on the prices will go downhill. My friend has the 64-bit version of windows and most of the drivers dont work for it or he cant find the 64-bit version of them. I would rather upgrade to a AMD 3200+ this summer then go for a 64-bit. I just think its a waste of money since you cant really fully use the chip right now.

Bullet -

You need to look at the numbers - benchmarks and prices.

Athlon 3200+ = $207

Athlon 64 3000+ = $227

Athlon 64 runs at/near the front of the pack. Regular Athlons don't. The Athlon64 is blazingly fast in 32 bit Windows. It can only get better when Win64 comes out.

Why run mid-pack and be on a platform (Barton) that is on it's way out, when for a $20 premium you can be at the leading edge?

Edit: Reread your post - Athlon 64's will run 32bit and 64bit apps/games. So when 64bit apps/games are released that Barton system will be stuck in a 32bit world.

Course you could always get a 2500 for 90 bucks and overclock it past 3200 levels and come out cheaper than the 64 bit.

The next things to wait for besides 64 bit would have to be the 939 pin 64 bit platform from AMD, PCI Express, Second Gen SATA ports, and BTX case formats. The 939 pin platform for amd will also include motherboards that can actually overclock, support for a wider range of processors, dual channel ram, and Will not require ECC ram but will be able to run a FX chip if need be.

No need to hop on any train this second unless you jsut cant play a certain game thats out.

Good luck man.

What video card and motherboard are you gonna be using.???

im going with the "A455-2102 Asus - K8V Deluxe - Socket 754 ATX Motherboard with Audio, AGP8X, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, FireWire, RAID, Serial ATA, WOR, WOL, Scalable HyperTransport, and Gigabit LAN Support " And i'll be using a radeon 9800xt of course :wub:

aw, I wanted to be the first community member to get a Athlon 64  :nono:

anyway, tell us how it runs when you get it.

LOL, you may beat me if you get one before march, because thats when I should have my $$$$, if something happens and I don't get my $$$$ then it'll be at least august before I get that system

Hehe

true dat.

Sometimes its best to wait

Sometimes its best to move.

AGP is plenty fast enough, but if i were gonna plunk down a lot of money for a video card right now I would be tempted to want a PCI- Express Version.

SATA ver 2.0 is gonna really be worth the wait.

Same goes for GDDR-III, cause ram is too slow even in dual channel format.

BTX is gonna pwn ATX in everyway possible.

Its not so much that I would wait becuase of price.

Instead its because the standards are gonna change big time in the next couple months.

Not every year is there a new Case format introduced(BTX), a new video card slot(PCI-Express), RAm thats gonna be twice as capable(GDDR-III).

If all we had to look forward to this year was the move from a 533 Mhz to 800Mhz FSB p4's, 8x AGP over 4X, and DDR 3200 over 2700 then I would say plunk down your 300-800 dollars now.

This year is gonna bring newer better things to the table than just the normal revamps in hardware.

:peace:

lol, read his sig, Homer.

I've been thinking about all this new stuff coming out, and I've decided to wait a little longer, and hope it all comes out in the next 2-3 months. Then, I'm going to get as high as I can get in the current hardware lines. Sure, all the new stuff will be awsome and kick donkey, but the best part is, it will drive down the price of everything it replaces. So, I'm hoping to be able to get some components that are out of my reach right now (high quality RAM, 9800 Pro, top of the line mobo) when the new stuff comes out and replaces it. That system will last me a good couple years, then, after all the new stuff has fully matured, I can upgrade to the new case/mobo, PCI express cards, etc, etc.

Well, it's hard to say how much of a difference it is from the later XPs, since the last thing I had was an Intel 1.5. But compared to that, this thing screams. I haven't attempted to overclock it yet, since I just finished most of my modifications this weekend. I'll post some pics when I get a chance, I sleeved all of the cable and put a handle on there, as well as put in a fanbus. There's plenty of cooling in there, and I'm considering getting a Zalman HSF sometime soon for a little more. Aside from that, I just got 3d Mark 03 and I intend to run it when I leave for class this morning. I'll post up my scores later. For 200 bucks, this proc really puts out.

It was late for me Crowbar. :) Someone gave me caffienated tea when I was supposed to have decaf. Oy, running on 3 hours of sleep today.

I'm in that boat with you for the time being, but I think I'll pony up for PCI-Express and a new video card, since I could use a new one anyway. This depends on timing too, and I may change my mind.

Homer,Jan 27 2004, 10:37 AM] It was late for me Crowbar.  :)  Someone gave me caffienated tea when I was supposed to have decaf.  Oy, running on 3 hours of sleep today.

That bloody wanker! Hard to get a decent spot of tea in this bloody country.