• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests
Homer,Feb 18 2004, 02:58 PM] Cowboy,  I can answer that private question without you even asking:

No matter how much you exercise that muscle, it won't get bigger.

El oh el? :=

:o

anyway, back on topic.

just walked again...legs burn more this time...but I made it and I even stretched afterward (though prolly not as long as I should)

I think for dinner tonight I'll have a chicken breast as opposed to a frozen hamburger.

question: what exactly IS that burning sensation in my legs? isn't it some sort of acid being worked out?

also I am the ABSOLUTE WORST motivated person in the world...so if you guys could keep me in check here and keep asking me if I'm walking...I'd love ya for it

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

Playaa, that'd be your muscles being tired... lacking oxygen I believe.

Lektrik acid (no idea on spelling) is a bi-product of adrenaline I BELIEVE and would be something you'd only get from a heavy workout.

It's lactic acid.

It is important to understand how and why lactic acid accumulates in the muscles. When glucose is burned for fuel during exercise, it is broken down to a chemical called pyruvate. If you are working at a low enough intensity, sufficient oxygen will be available to easily convert pyruvate to carbon dioxide and water, which are removed by the lungs. When you are working at a very high intensity, however, there is not enough oxygen to convert all the pyruvate to carbon dioxide and water. The result is that some of the pyruvate is converted to lactic acid, which builds up in the muscles and overflows into the bloodstream. Lactic acid causes the "burning" sensation felt in muscles during high intensity exercise and also prevents muscles from working their best.

Bascially the more you work out the more your body becomes efficient at expelling the lactic acid. So it gets easier the more you work out.

Now drop and give me 10 soldier! (You like that kind of motivation Playaa?)

OOOH!

404 ERROR MESSAGES ALWAYS MOTIVATE ME!!!

:D

but seriously...I bought a Rice Steamer online, now waiting for it to be delivered. Haven't had 1 soda since at least 2 days ago. Have walked all 3 days...have been drinking OJ and Milk like mad and tea at work...tried unsweetened but no dice...still only 5mg of sodium and 70 calories...

I'll get around to making my own tea with Splenda (BLEGH!) one day.

I think I'm on the right track yes?

KEEP ME IN CHECK!

meh, I'm not even to the point where it doesn't hurt yet to go around once (you must not forget that my block is the size of 3 normal blocks...I'd say it's prolly about 1/3 of a mile)

I say in one weeks time I'll move to the walking around it twice...I'm taking this slow...I just want to make sure I do it daily.

Best way not to be sore is to work out again though.

I'm not sure I totally agree with this. I know from experience that yes it tends to work some of the soreness out of the muscle. However, look at Homer's post about lactic acid and at my previous post explaining how muscles rebuild themselves and you will see where I'm coming from. I'm afraid the reduction in "hurt" or "soreness" might be at the expense of muscle.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

It'll build up the wrist muscles ;p.

Also... you may want to make sure that it's skim milk, and most juices aren't that good for you, very high in sugar.