Trying to get into shape

rackish

Hi! I've decided that I need to lose weight... yes I am overweight... probobly 20 pounds (i'm guessing here), anyway I did walk/jog everyday in the summer because my doc said I had to be able to play football (I lost 20 pounds... heh). Now that football is over(and has been since November for me) I want to get back on track, I've started a diet... and I just wanted some advice on what to do to lose weight... not lift etc, just get back in shape... for now I plan to do crunches and maybe pushups everynight, I'm gonna start going to the gym in the spring when I want to lift. I know a lot of you are much wiser and smarter than I, so here I come to plea for advice on how to drop some pounds... thanks guys

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

Run, run and run some more.

Cardio = winnar.

Diet will help too.

Don't do any of those weird new diets. Although they may seem like a miracle, nothing is a miracle. A few years down the line we'll all be able to say "Damn, those diet fads were sure unhealthy." And I doubt you'd want to use any of the speeders because I've heard they make some people sick while others (I know) can take 16 a day and feel fine... for now. I'm lifting right now just to gain muscle incase we do backyard wrestling this summer. I get lucky because my character is just a big janitor so I don't really need to look slim, just bulky. Try other things for cardio like mountain climbers, jumping jacks all that stupid stuff. It'll work out if you eat healthy and do cardio every day.

(edited)

I'd say since your goal is 20 or so pounds, you don't have to eat any less, just do more. If you average day consists of any excercises, do more. If you walk/jog/run a mile in a day, then make it 2 miles. If you do pushups/situps, do more reps. If you don't do any excercising, start. Good for the cardio and body. Heck play some basketball or some other recreational sport. Badmitton is the king of cardio and workouts!

Edited by SwOOp

here's a tough one for ya

look at this and tell me how to make that fat white guy in the center of the picture into the tanned guy in the front of the picture?

:D

seriously though...I'm REALLY overweight (285 @ 6'2") but have absolutely no time to work out and no place to do it....options?

I do have time to maybe take a walk around the block or something. If I started running at this point the ONLY thing I'd do would be to screw up my knees and ankles (that much weight coming down hard ain't healthy)

what do you suggest I do short of lyposuction? :D

I got this one for yall (sorry, very in shape guy whose entire family is fat).

First Playaa...a recent study said that atleast 30 minutes of brisk walking a day can help even overweight people maintain their weight and even lose to a certain point. Here's the kicker...it doesn't even have to be 30 minutes straight. So from now on, when you walk somewhere, do it brisky...take the stairs...all that jazz.

I've often heard from people "I'd love to get in shape but I don't have time", and I always say the same thing "If you want to be in shape you have to make the time". Cut back a little from a few different places...little bit less video game time...little bit less tv time...little bit less Mr Happy time...pretty soon you have an hour to work out.

But in general, you have to do two things to get in shape, and 1 more thing to become ripped (guy in picture).

1. Diet - Don't do the "Adkins" or the "South Beach" do the "Balanced diet with vitamins". Drink a glass of milk every morning and have a multi vitamin. Put the bigmacs down and eat salads. You don't have to turn into a bunny...but just be careful. I try and balance it out...one of my favorite lunches is this Fried Chicken Tender Salad thing at Bennigans. Its got something I love (fried chicken tenders) and good stuff for ya. You also need to limit and remove softdrinks, chips, and snacks. Those three are really bad for you...and bags of them have a habbit of disappearing. I'm not saying don't eat sweets, but moderation is the key, and those bad boys "You can't just eat one".

So ok, once you get your diet under control, you will feel better, more alert, and feel better.

2. Now you have to excercise...first rule is don't overdo it to start. If you do, you will quit. Start with walking, and then find a sport you enjoy. I play Basketball 3 times a week for 2 hours with some friends. Its fun and I get a workout. A lot of people sugguest running, but I think its boring and it can be really hard on your body ESPECIALLY if you are carrying extra weight. Martial Arts are also popular with the geek crowd (admit it, we all are). You just have to find SOMETHING that involves more than button pushing that you enjoy to do. That will get you started.

Ok, you do both of those, and you will slowly (remember slow is healthy) lose weight. Now you want to look cut?

3. Lifting weights...this is both the most dangerous and the best thing you can do for your body. If you do not do it correct you can badly injure yourself, so I sugguest that you join a gymn and work with their trainer on staff. They are the professional. It takes probably 6 months before you start to notice a big difference...but once you do man oh man...the results are great. You get noticed by women EVERYWHERE and many of them don't even hide their lust...its great. You want an ego boost Playaa...go lift weights for 6 months. I lifted weights for my first year here (in FL), and went home (to Texas) where nobody recognized me (some girls from my high school even hit on my that woulda never given me the time).

The great thing about 2 & 3 is that once you get going with them, its really hard to stop. You body starts desiring the excercise. You feel better, more alert, sleep better, look better. In the work place better looking people have an edge of not so great (its a sad truth, but its a truth). And of course, your love life definately improves (if that is your drive).

Of course, you will also have less health problems and live longer...but who cares about that when it will help you get laid.

Nice post white, I am an avid exerciser as well, however lately have been slacking off, and like he says, you will notice it, your body will crave it eventually. I would like to add a few suggestions/observations to it though.

1. Once you get into the section 2 part, the exercising, it wouldn't hurt to do some pushups, some lunges and things like that when you feel comfortable with them, they will very much help your segway to #3. You don't have to pay a monthly gym fee to get a muscle workout. Especially in the case with guys that are overweight, once you feel comfortable with lunges/pushups/etc, your bodyweight will be enough resistance and all you need is enough room to step or laydown and you can do these. As with any training, proper form is still a must.

2. As part of White's #3, the way you lift depends on your goals. If you want to strenght, you use higher weight-lower reps, if you want bulk, you use medium weight-medium reps, if you want to get absolutely ripped, you use low weight-high reps. Keep in mind of course, like white says, you MUST use proper form or else you WILL seriously hurt yourself....never lift without a spotter.

3. I would also like to dispell a myth that is floating out there. Someone said they were gonna do some crunches. Spot reduction DOES NOT WORK, doing crunches does not target the fat in your belly and doing lunges does not target the fat in your behind. CARDIO targets fat all over your body, crunches and lunges target your muscles, which, when the fat is gone, will look really nice and yes, the ladies will love them. The order in which your body gets rid of your fat is different for everyone. I have found personally, through 8 years of training, that my belly is last to go, I'm not saying it doesn't get smaller, but if I wanna be able to see all my abs, I have to do more than an hour of cardio a day along with lifting.

4. Loosing the weight isn't always the key. If you are severely overweight, it is definately a good tool. But as you start to slim, fat is replaced with muscle. You will reach a point where you are gaining weight(if you go through all three of white's steps and are at it for any amount of time) but loosing fat. Muslce is heavier than fat, once you are to this point, try not to rely so much on the scale for progress, as white suggests, rely more on how your body is feeling, I know in my case, my self-esteem went through the roof.

5. My last thing for the moment, I'm sure I will think of more, I not only do the exercise, but I also like to do all kinds of research. The more muscle you have, the more you burn. You burn calories typing on the computer, the guy with the more/bigger muscles in his finger, will burn more calories than the smaller, even at simple tasks....therefore, some muslce mass can only help your fight against fat. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs to look like Arnold, but a little muscle will go a long way.

Cut back a little from a few different places...little bit less video game time...little bit less tv time...little bit less Mr Happy time...pretty soon you have an hour to work out. 

I can't speak for everyone here, but Mr. happy time gives me plenty of a workout.

seriously though...I'm REALLY overweight (285 @ 6'2") but have absolutely no time to work out and no place to do it....options?

I do have time to maybe take a walk around the block or something.  If I started running at this point the ONLY thing I'd do would be to screw up my knees and ankles (that much weight coming down hard ain't healthy)

what do you suggest I do short of lyposuction? :D

Playaa, when I played ball I ran 2 miles every day and I was 6'1" 315 lbs. My knees and ankles are fine. (actually my ankles are shot, but not from that). If you are worried about damage to your joints then start by doing some low body stuff and low-impact cardio to take a little weight off. Then hit the weights and the track whenever you feel comfortable.

If you feel winded easily and don't think you can handle an aerobic type workout - even walking - then I suggest doing Tai Chi for 4-6 months. There are 'hard' and 'soft' versions, I did the 'soft' type for general health. It's easy on the joints, it's actually alot of stretching.

I had never been able to touch my toes or even get within 12-14" of doing it. After Tai Chi I can put my hands flat on the floor. They started me out with some basic forms and each time I went in I'd learn a new one up to about 24 of them. It was also very relaxing. I went for 1.5hrs 2 times a week for 6 months. I think it was $40 a month.

After that I got into cycling after not having rode a bike for years. I was able to ride circles around my hardcore cycling friends instantly because I had superior breathing and cardio efficiency. I quit doing Tai Chi then and used it as a springboard for more cycling and mountain biking which I still enjoy. It'd also be a great introduction to Kung Fu if you wanted to go more into the Martial Arts.

Homer,Feb 14 2004, 12:37 PM] Oh, and the fun fact for the day:

You can drink 4,000 glasses of water for the same cost as a 2 liter pop.

Thats great!

I'm gonna haveta remember that for all my soft drink chuggin friends.

I wonder how many glasses of water you get for a jack and coke...

i just had a baby and i know how you feel about being over weight. Sometimes i stand in front of the mirror nakey and wonder how my fiance can even look at me naked, much less with clothes on. It makes me just want to die, i've been over weight (at least by 10lbs) my whole life. Being a chick and all its very emotionally hard to be over weight. And being a mom I think its even harder. Sometimes when im playing with her i realize most the time she looks at me I'm eatting. But the thing is, I don't eat much. I just moved into an apartment and we have no food except instant oatmeal and bagels and cream cheese.

I'm only 5'6" and I'm 200 lbs now (224 when i was pregnant) I was 175 before I got pregnant and I looked decent because I have VERY heavy bones (I'm not fat, im big boned. I hate that cause it used to be true) After I had the baby I only lost 7lbs cause she was a 7lb child (which makes NO sense cause u also lose a lot of fluids and such that weigh alot, but hell my body defies physics cause what happened is supposedly "impossible" the doctors started wondering if there is something wrong with their scales!) Anywhoo...

The way I lost some of the weight was Slim Fast. I know nuts but it actually worked! I lost 18lbs in 2 weeks on it because you lose a lot of weight at first.

The snack bars taste great, i felt like i was eatting a chocolate bar twice a day and the meals (i drank the shakes) felt like i was drinking chocolate milk! I felt hungry for the first 3 days but then i felt great. The website was great www.slimfast.com . It gives you great meal options and tells you exactly what to eat to lose weight and it really works. The reason i quit is because I have no money for that stuff now, hell i have no money for food.

Slimfast seriously was a good option. I tried Atkins 2 years ago before it was popular and I got terribly sick because ur body needs carbs for energy and Atkins makes you use fat for energy and some peoples bodies just wont do that, i ended up in the hospital.

The key is to drink a lot of water when your hungry and if your stomach still feels like its eatting itself, eat something. REMEMBER IT TAKES 20 MIN FOR YOUR BRAIN TO REALIZE YOUR FULL.. EAT SLOW! People are overweight now because they don't eat until they are staving and shove fast food down their throats as fast as possible and eat a lot because they dont feel full, therefore they get fat.

Man, i should listen to myself and lose this weight. But im just too lazy.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests
REMEMBER IT TAKES 20 MIN FOR YOUR BRAIN TO REALIZE YOUR FULL.. EAT SLOW!

Never knew that, that's really interesting...

Lot's of good stuff in this topic, keep it coming =)

Cut back a little from a few different places...little bit less video game time...little bit less tv time...little bit less Mr Happy time...pretty soon you have an hour to work out. 

I can't speak for everyone here, but Mr. happy time gives me plenty of a workout.

uhh.gif

I'm young and impressionable...I don't think my mommy wants me hearing those types of things.

but seriously I just reread this topic today...thanks for all the advice guys.

odd thing. I moved out into my own place (a friends home) and since then I have been eating less (overall) and drinking ALOT healthier things. The ONLY time I drink soda is at work (because it's all I have access to) and while I know I drink too much of it (up to 4 a day) I also drink a TON of healthy liquids. I drink milk, orange juice and apple juice and sometimes water solely when I'm at home. And MAN do I drink alot...I can go through 2 gallons of juice in 1 day. Lately I've been getting a 1/2 gallon of tea from Arbie's at lunch and bringing that to work to suppliment my soda drinking...but I know tea isn't much healthier (especially sweetened).

As for eating, I do eat out every day usually, but my 2 choices are always eat cheap ($2 meals from Jack in the Box) or eat an Arbies Market Fresh turkey and swiss sandwhich. If I can keep my supply of food at home stocked I won't have a problem making lunches to bring to work...but I'm poor and myself and my roomate go through food fast (actually it's mostly our friends).

I guess all I'm really missing is the activity. But I'm the laziest person in the world and I'm currently burnt out at work...so when I get off work I want to go straight home and have the most fun possible...that usually means sitting in front of my computer gaming or watching movies or reading a book...it doesn't mean going out into the cold and taking a walk...(plus I get home after dark).

So like I said, thanks and I guess I really need to put activity in my life

I used to cut weight for wrestling back in high school all the time. During off-seasons I'd try to gain weight, but make it 100% muscle instead of a mix of muscle and fat. My weight has fluctuated enough to where I know a little something about weight-control.

Best way that I know how to lose weight is motion. Get that heart thumpin. Whether it's walking, or just plain ol' jogging in place while you're watching TV or something. The only thing about losing weight is that you have to understand how the body's muscular system works. Alot of people that want definition in their stomachs or arms forget that you're muscles are like a large system of rubber bands. If one group is the focal point of what you want to tone/firm up, then you have to work the group that pulls your body in the opposite direction. If you want to lose a few inches around your waist, then straight aerobic excercise and eating right are the main things, and then to maybe have a little definition, you still have to work the hell out of your abs, but at the same time you have to do something for your back. They're opposite muscle groups, so that will even out your body and show results faster.

As far as just skinning weight off, missing one meal or cutting back at one meal and having enough discipline to not gorge yourself later is always a good thing. Running and just basic stuff you can do at your house will help. Pushups, crunches (and there are a HUGE variety of exercises based off of crunches that you can do), standing full squats, side-straddle hops (jumping jacks), and just plain ol' working off what you've put into your system. And the hardest thing about an exercise/diet program is that if you quit for a day, starting back is usually one of the hardest things to do after just one day of not doing it.

Also, someone mentioned swimming. Swimming laps is actually one of the very few 'full-body excercises' out there. So if you have access to a pool, just swim every other day or so. It's always good to remember that everyone has to start off somewhere and it's no shame in what kind of condition you are as long as you're working to improve yourself. I've been lifting for almost 4 years now, and I'm still a skinny little guy. I go to the weight room and sometimes I lift less than half of some of the weights other guys are putting up beside me, but everyone's got their starting points and limitations. No shame is involved :D

Edited by lance