A new Walmart every 38 hours

[Mmmm]Homer

This year alone, Wal-Mart hopes to open as many as 335 new stores in the U.S.: 55 discount stores, 210 supercenters, 45 Sam's Clubs (UBS ), and 25 Neighborhood markets. An additional 130 new stores are on the boards for foreign markets. Wal-Mart currently operates 1,309 stores in 10 countries, ranking as the largest retailer in Mexico and Canada. If the company can maintain its current 15% growth rate, it will double its revenues over the next five years and top $600 billion in 2011.

Businessweek article

http://www.walmartsucks.com/

Financial Sense

:boo: wal-mart + lowe's = monopoly.

"If [Wal-Mart] ever stumbles, we've got a potential national security problem on our hands. They touch almost everything....If they ever really went into a tailspin, the dislocation would be significant and traumatic."

Edited by All Kill3r

i like walmart, i get what i need for cheap. That will bring my business any day. Though it always seems funny to me when people who arent connected to anything Wlamart has pushed out-of-business are up in arms about it. Like, why do you even care? Did you ever even set foot in there? Who cares? Those same people who owned that podunk shop are managing one of the 120000 Walmarts and getting better pay/benefits. Who's crying? The bleeding heart liberals who think that communism is still a better idea than capitalism. Get a grip!

jane

(waits in the corner for the flames)

I hate walmart.

50 checkout lines. 2 are open. In one is an old lady writing a check very slowly, in the other is a young mother of 4 with all 2 full carts of food and brats screaming at the top of their lungs.

Hate walmart.

I willingly pay the extra $.20 an item NOT to shop there.

Btw, fyi all my Walmart peeps in this house:

Walmart Electronics are lower quality than the same brand you will find elsewhere. The vast majority of their electronics have different model numbers than an exactly similar product made by the same company at a different store (Circuit City for instance). The reason for this is that after Qualification testing, walmart takes the bottom quarter of working product for a discount...which is how they are cheaper than everywhere else for "similar" stuff. Do NOT buy TV's, stereos, etc at Walmart!!!

Jane, the point is that Walmart doesn't give better pay/benefits. That's one way they can drop prices. The other way is to force manufacturers to cut their prices year after year, even if they have fixed costs. That's why a pickle company (Vlassic?) went bankrupt recently - Walmart wanted to sell a gallon of pickles for $2.99 and they couldn't deliver and Walmart had more or less bought 100% of their production capacity. Walmart balked when they couldn't lower the price and they went under.

Levi's is a similar story. They had 41 factories in the USA turning out high quality denim jeans. In about 10 years they were in a bind after doing business with Walmart becuase they had to continue to lower their prices. Hence cheaper denim, then producing cheap jeans in foreign sweatshops, and then closing US production. As of January 2004 Levi Strauss Co. is only a US design shop with 100% production done overseas. Of course Levi's was losing makret share over the last decade, but Walmart expedited everything.

Just 2 examples I've heard of.

• 2 weeks later...
Wallmarts mission statement....Take over the world and make sure evey freak'n inch is parking lot.  One giant black sea of pavment.  I'd be more than happy to go on a rampage and just start blowing them up with C4

ill put it in the backpack for you

my dad bought a tv there and the screen wigged out after a couple months....CRAP! everyohter minute the screen would just turn into a extremely bright line