Passion Reviews...

Watchtower

It was accurate to what I read out of the Gospels(as far as how they beat and with what they beat)

It was more moving than anything Ive ever seen(mostly because of how the visual pertains to my faith).

It was gruesome. terribbly so. I dont know If I would bring children to it. But if you can stomach see a mans flesh ripped off, then yeah go see this movie. If fact go see it anyeways. The point of the moive was not to show his beatings. It was to show why he was beaten. From his perspective. It really called down the fruits of his ministry and showed why Jesus did what he did. Because He didnt want us to go through the same thing for eternity. Because He wanted to give us a chance to see him. but Ultimately this movie is about He love for the world. It shows, in no uncertain ways, that He did this so He could spend eternity with his children: us.

See the moive if you can find tickets. Shut youre eyes during the whipping scene. But listen to the words.

BTW, in filming they actually once hit Jim Curviezel with the Cat&9tails, accidently. The makeup artists then had an even better(real) picture of what these things did to you.

See the movie with an open mind. Listen to why Jesus took the road to the cross. Learn from His message of Love.

jane

ps Satan was portryed by a chick named Rosilin so-and-so. I saw the name in the credits, so yes, it was satan, not a jew. And watch out for Judas, its creepy.

jane, again

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to say I enjoyed the movie. But I did find it extremely interesting. After hearing reports from everyone about the movie I found myself sitting there expecting this huge wave of emotion to come over me. It never did. Don't get me wrong, I cried, and I felt my purpose was reaffirmed, but never that all encompassing emotion that I expected.

With that said, there were a few grotesk(sp?) parts that I really didn't think had to be in the movie. I don't want to get into them, because I don't want to reveal any of the movie to people who haven't seen it yet. I think the ending was spoiled for be because I heard mention before hand of what would happen.

I did not see anything throughout the movie that warranted the antisematic noises that were being made before the movie came out. I saw the movie last night, and thinking back now, I guess if you really wanted to, you could find something in the movie that might point to antisematism(sp?), but while watching the movie, and being engrossed with the shear amazement of the way Jesus was treated, I never thought of it.

One last thing, I'm not a bible scholar, and I know this is Mel's idea of what happened based on the Gospels. But I was in appalled at the pleasure these men got from torturing. The portrayel givin in the movie was that it was like a game to these guys. Laughing and joking as they whipped. I could barely watch, much less think about laughing and joking at the time, and it was on a screen.

I think the ending was spoiled for be because I heard mention before hand of what would happen.

lol.... just lol.... you read the bible right? You know what happens in the end..... :P He saves us! :wub:

But I was in appalled at the pleasure these men got from torturing. The portrayel givin in the movie was that it was like a game to these guys. Laughing and joking as they whipped.

That was how it was back then. Many people were torutured and beaten this way. I have read other historical accounts of that period in time and it was just a way of life.

Jane, yes, I know what happens, however in the movie context, I felt that was supposed to be a dramatic moment.  Already knowing that I was going to see this, spoiled the drama for me.  I don't appreciate the condecending tone in your last post.

hey bubblegum, i ddint mean to be condecending! I was only trying to chear you up, we get saved at the end of that story! :wub: what a great day! HOLES IN HIS HANDS, FOR YOU AND ME AND ALL THE REST OF THE WORLD! :D:D:D ( :( sad that you didnt pick up on that) JESUS SAVED YOU! SMILE! :D

Jane, you still misunderstand. I know the deal, I am a Christian. When the movie first came out, the big word on the movie was his crucifixion. I did not know the movie itself would end showing the resurection or how this would be done. I agree, it is awesome what Jesus did for us and I am glad. I was only commenting on the fact that I had heard before I saw the movie, that he would stand up with holes in his hands, and because I had already heard that, I don't belive I got the full effect from that scene in the MOVIE. Watch asked for our opinion on the movie, not our opinion on the religion. I understand that the movie IS about our religion, but I was giving my review of the movie.

NOTE* Not to be an donkey here, but I will not be addressing any more comments on my movie review. Watch asked for reviews, not opinions on other people's reviews. Jane, hopefully you understand where I was heading with that comment. I am annoyed at this point, and may just delete all of the posts that don't pertain to Watch's actual topic.

Actually the resurrection scene in the end was added on. It wasn't originally there. For me personally, to see that part was refreshing.

The movie was tough. We become very content and complacent with our view of Easter (the happy resurrection part). Even our image of the crucifiction becomes peaceful and plain.

The movie took me through guilt, but then on to an amazing gratitude.

As one who sees Christ as my Lord and Savior, the movie moved me.

-----------

PS: Jane, You just need to check yourself in how you talk. Bub is a friend of mine and has a faith in Christ like a rock. You obviously don't know him very well, or else are just unable to express yourself in a way that is appropriate to this context. I was going to remove all yours posts in this thread, but I decided not to.

Please try to not speak as some scholar to others in these forums.

See the moive if you can find tickets. Shut youre eyes during the whipping scene. But listen to the words.

You went to the movie. What words are you listening to? You speak Aramaic?

Anyways, Jane. Your heart seems pure but we need to be careful when thoughts exit through our mouth.

But I was in appalled at the pleasure these men got from torturing. The portrayel givin in the movie was that it was like a game to these guys. Laughing and joking as they whipped.

That was how it was back then. Many people were torutured and beaten this way. I have read other historical accounts of that period in time and it was just a way of life.

Yep, soul's right. While our society can be seen as horrible in so many ways, even spiraling downhill, the violence in that time was second to none.

I think about it this way....we've seen the movie Gladiator, right? People were into public death and violence like this.

We've got nothing on other times in this world as far as evil, violence, homosexuality, etc. It's been done on Earth.

made me physically sick....just to gruesome for me....not for children (would of given me terrible nightmares) but a good movie to see if u belive in the christian faith (just dont plan on eating alot before hand several people in the thearter left in gaggin motions thoughout the roman beating scenes)

I did not think the scenes were that bad. I thought they were graphic but it was not as gory or bloody as some other mainstream movies in the past. Look at Blade 2 (yes, a horrible movie) it was non-stop blood and gore, Kill Bill had more gore and blood, etc....

I think the part that affected me with the torture was the fact we knew who this was and could directly relate, in a way, to him.

I left uplifted though. I thought it was great and I had a smile when I left due to the final scene. It made me rejoice in my faith.

I did not think the scenes were that bad. I thought they were graphic but it was not as gory or bloody as some other mainstream movies in the past. Look at Blade 2 (yes, a horrible movie) it was non-stop blood and gore, Kill Bill had more gore and blood, etc....

I think the part that affected me with the torture was the fact we knew who this was and could directly relate, in a way, to him.

I left uplifted though. I thought it was great and I had a smile when I left due to the final scene. It made me rejoice in my faith.

Like Mel Gibson stated to Sean Hannity, "The rating is an R and its a well deserved rating....I wouldn't show this to any kids under 13 for sure".

I'd say it sounds pretty gruesome. But wasn't that in the intent? The make us cringe and almost "feel" what was happening to Christ? Anyways, I haven't seen the movie but I hear its pretty good. But I also heard it is hard for a non-Christian to relate to the film.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd say it sounds pretty gruesome.  But wasn't that in the intent?  The make us cringe and almost "feel" what was happening to Christ?  Anyways, I haven't seen the movie but I hear its pretty good.  But I also heard it is hard for a non-Christian to relate to the film.

Saw it for 3rd time tonight. Christian brother and I talked tonight about the effects of a movie on believes/non-believers. We couldn't figure how it could really be used as an witness type tool for someone who wasn't searching or anything at all. Very heavy....heavy is the best description. I can totally understand what DJ says here about how it would be hard for a non-Christian to relate.

I saw it first with my wife....who is saved. Then my niece, who has not accepted Christ into her life YET (hopeful) and then tonight with a fellow believer. Honestly, I was at a loss for words after my niece and I watched it. With my wife and my friend, conversation flowed.

Amazing how I'm compelled to see it 3 times....each time leaving thinking, "I don't really desire/need to see that again." It's incredible. Jesus is incredible. Amazing love.

As for a review....yes, it takes you to a point where you have had enough, and then some. Right where we need to be....beyond our comfort zone.