Truth

jane

What is truth(new topic). Why does it seem that truth is true for most civilzations? Why do we "know" in our hearts that it is right to love and wrong to hate? Why is it right to show compassion? Why is it that love seems to be the best way to live? And how can it be right if its just the way we evolved? How can something become a universal standard when something came from unintelligent design? Who said it should be this way? Is it because love ends up promoting our species so, our instincts are to love? I suppose you could extrapolate out to that point but how is it that no other species is like this then? Yes, we've been here before, that some animals mate for life and produce offspring, assumably to continue their species. Is it that our ape brothers figured it out and we were the pack who just really got into the new fad?

Back to truth. Tell me what you think as to why truth can be ambiguous. Is it possible, if there is sin? What is sin? How can there be sin? Is sin just a fancy word for the idea of going against our instincts?

jane

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I'm just going to say that love is not exclusively human. Elephants mourn their dead. Many animals express love or affection. It's not something that we think is right or wrong, it's something we can't help but feel in certain situations. Same with compassion. Some people are more compassionate than others.. Some are not very compassionate at all. What are you getting at Jane? That love and compassion was bestowed on only us humans by a Higher power?

I would say so, yes. That Truth is something that isnt relevant. But especially love. When I say love, its not refering to anything you'll hear of on TV. Its speaking of unconditionally giving of one's self for the joy and betterment of the object. So, i dont think that animals are able to facilitate that. Its abit beyond the elephants and so forth. Love can be displayed in lesser forms, such as sex and hugs and smiles, but its not a lifestyle that I think could have evolved. Its something that is better than all of us. Far better than we could have developed. Everything else besides love seems to get worse. Where as love only get stronger and more true(to itself and the object).

But this topic isnt about love. Its about truth. Is there absolute truth? Is truth relevant. I just uased love as an example of what truith might be.

jane

But this topic isnt about love. Its about truth. Is there absolute truth? Is truth relevant. I just used love as an example of what truth might be.

yep love is real. But im jsut using it as a stepping stone to se where it leads us. let me know what you think truth is... o0o

yes thank you.

How do you know the suns will rise tomorrow? Because it did today? And Yesterday?

What about love. You cant see that with your two eyes(or can you :tired: ). How do you know that exists and is truth?

BTW if anyone else is out there and has any shade of an opinion on the matter it doesnt have to be just watchtower answering my questions... ;)

Truth is usually something I can see with my own two eyes..

see that I disagree with...

that's saying that if you CAN'T see and prove something then it's not truth and it's not real...before when I've said that humans can be pompous...those are the type of things I'm talking about.

That's why when I don't have an answer for something in the Bible or I don't understand it...it doesn't phase me...because me not knowing the answer doesn't mean there isn't one.

it's kinda like the fact that the earth was always round even when people said it was flat. Truth supercedes humans.

With my own two eyes means it Can be shown to me.. Some stuff is just provable. Some stuff is not. If it requires speculation, how can it be truth? Truth is absolute. Without a reason of a doubt. Gravity is Truth. Sound Waves are truth. What does that have to do with being pompous? It just means I'm not ready to tell someone something is the truth without being able to prove it to them. Thats humility if you ask me..

Like I said, without a reason of a doubt. When we were saying th earth was flat, did we have any good reason to think so or was it just speculation. The evidence the truth is based upon relates directly to its actual truthfulness.. :)

Truth will set you free...

Here ya go..

Descartes: “I have never had any doubts about truth, because it seems a notion so transcendentally clear that nobody can be ignorant of it…the word ‘truth’, in the strict sense, denotes the conformity of thought with its object� (1639, AT II 597);

That nobody can be ignorant of it.. Without a reason of a doubt.

Edited by Watchtower

actually I looked up Truth in the dictionary and truth in fact is defined as something that can be (and has been) proven.

but think about that...that means that UNTIL gravity was proven...it wasn't truth.

you don't see a problem with that?

by pompous I just mean that we as humans feel quite good about ourselves and our personal opinions. And I do mean all of us.

but think about that...that means that UNTIL gravity was proven...it wasn't truth.

you don't see a problem with that?

Well before it was gravity what was it? It had to be defined first.. We just didn't think about that kind of thing for a while. Then we studied it, named it, studied it some more and wrote it in the books. It was actually truth, we just didn't know it. We are obviously not aware of all the truths available? How could we be?

(edited)
Hmm, I'm just going to say that love is not exclusively human.  Elephants mourn their dead.  Many animals express love or affection.  It's not something that we think is right or wrong, it's something we can't help but feel in certain situations.  Same with compassion.  Some people are more compassionate than others..  Some are not very compassionate at all.  What are you getting at Jane?  That love and compassion was bestowed on only us humans by a Higher power?

Love is a verb not a noun:

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever

Holy Bible : New Living Translation. (Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House, 1997). 1 Co 13:3-8a

Truth is a noun and can be defined as "A concrete ideal, never changing and solidified in both fact and actuality."

King Richard the Lionheart

Edited by Preacher

(edited)
We are obviously not aware of all the truths available?

:P  Bingo! you ready to meet God?

thats trickery

Well before it was gravity what was it? It had to be defined first.. We just didn't think about that kind of thing for a while. Then we studied it, named it, studied it some more and wrote it in the books. It was actually truth, we just didn't know it. We are obviously not aware of all the truths available? How could we be?

We knew gravity existed, we could see the effects of gravity, we studied it forever and now we know everything about it. so its a truth. We are not aware of all the truths available, but I can tell you that we know a great deal more truths now than we used to. You gave me a great idea. About 2000 years ago we definatly wasnt aware of all the truths that existed. So we came up with one to explain them all.

Edited by NOFX

now we know everything about it.

We do? That is a dangerous statement. We do not know "everything". We still find out new information....what will happen when the magnetic poles shift ends again? We did not know they had shifted at all until a little while ago.

About 2000 years ago we definatly wasnt aware of all the truths that existed. So we came up with one to explain them all.

Christianity does not explain all the truths in the world.

(edited)

ok, to be politically correct for you I will change it to

now we know everything about it.

now we know ALOT of the properties of gravity. and the reason why there is gravity....

About 2000 years ago we definatly wasnt aware of all the truths that existed. So we came up with one to explain them all.

About 2000 years ago we was not aware of all truths, only very little. So we came up with one to explain the unknown.

better?

Edited by NOFX

The first one is...thanks.

The second one is still not quite correct. We did not "make something up" or "come up" with some magical solution, at least not in my mind. If you do not believe in Christianity then I am sure it could seem this way to some people.