Truth

jane

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look around you.

Ps. 33:5

He loves righteousness and justice; The earth is full of the lovingkindness of the LORD.

Ps. 8:3,4

3 When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained; 4 What is man that You take thought of him, And the son of man that You care for him?

Hebrews 11:3

By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.

1 John 2:17

The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.

this is my fav ortie as to how it applies to your statement (Truth is without question. Universally undeniable. We don't have too many of those)

Romans 1:20

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse :P

jane

interesting place to put it too trouble... you ever get my post in entertainment?

i find the truth quote a bit farfetched and hippielike. Whos to say that truth isnt real. If someone found it, why wouldnt they know it? That statement kinda sets a double standard. Its says the right way togo is to live life without a set standard... yet that inand of itself isa standard.... :unsure: i never understand these new-age hippies. Makes absolutely no sense. No bashing here either, Trouble. Though I'd have a field day with Andre what-his-face...

jane

I still don't get what you are getting at Jane. Truth is undeniable. You say look around. I don't know. Nothing about religion is undeniable. Other than the fact that some people will believe anything they are told..

My take on the truth quote is this.. If one is looking for the truth, he is not as biased as one who thinks they have the answer. Ones truth may not actually be true. :unsure: B.T.W, the works of Andre Gide were condemned by the Catholic Church After his death..

(edited)
Truth is undeniable. You say look around. I don't know. Nothing about religion is undeniable. Other than the fact that some people will believe anything they are told..

is that the truth?

*edit*

I'm not totally being silly there. Do you see my point with that statement? I've said this in the past but it's an impossible thing to get across it seems. You are telling us that us telling you that we know the truth means we're clouded...yet you are making statements that show your views as the "right ideas" and undeniable.

What makes your "truths" different from our "truths"? And don't say it's because yours aren't clouded like ours because ours are based in "religious ideas" because they aren't. My views are based upon my findings in this life, just like yours. What makes yours more valid?

B.T.W, the works of Andre Gide were condemned by the Catholic Church After his death..

really not trying to step on anyone's toes or insult anyone...but the Catholic Church is messed up.

the Catholic Church is NOT a church based in Evangelical Christianity

Edited by Playaa/Pselus

(edited)

truth is a word that humans came up with....

What does truth mean? My definition of truth is something that can be proven.

Your definition of truth can be whatever you want it to be.

About 2000 years ago we was not aware of all truths, only very little. So we came up with one to explain the unknown.

better?

The second one is still not quite correct. We did not "make something up" or "come up" with some magical solution, at least not in my mind. If you do not believe in Christianity then I am sure it could seem this way to some people.

and to this, I wasnt refering to christianity or any religion in particular. I was just refering to (any religion that claims to have gods) <--- I know there is a word for this. Or we could even go back before we had established religions and people lived in groups / tribes maybe even had established communities and they believed in the (spirital world) to explain their "Truth".

That was my 2 cents on how early modern homo sapiens went about explaining "The Truth".

well, they did not explain "The Truth". they explained "The Truth" as an answer to the ultimate question, where do we go when we die?

If I had to chose a religion, It would definatly be Buddism. But I would still like to have a little more knowledge on a few religions before that is my final answer.

Edited by NOFX

one problem NOFX...your view of truth seems to require that humans weren't always what we are now. You say "before there was religions"...I don't think that time existed. Man (in general) has ALWAYS believed in some higher power and I feel that they do because there IS a higher power.

Also, you say you'd choose Buddhism if you could. That doesn't make sense to me. How can you choose which religion has the truth if truth isn't relative?

What makes your "truths" different from our "truths"?  And don't say it's because yours aren't clouded like ours because ours are based in "religious ideas" because they aren't.  My views are based upon my findings in this life, just like yours.  What makes yours more valid?

Well for one I'm not saying anything is absolutely true. I'm saying theres a good enough chance to make me believe. Same as you should be saying. I tell you that some of my beliefs appear to be a valid option. You tell me your belief is the only way and that mine are wrong. So from my standpoint, I am embracing a wide array of possibilities and ruling out 1. You are ruling out a wide array and embracing 1. Just a few of the difference I can see.. Again, I'm not saying any one thing is undeniable.. I'm saying looking at this data that we have, this is a picture I can paint...

an understandable position. I just gotta say that if a person has "found the truth" and the rest of the world didnt realize it, would that one person still be right? Then we get into whether truth is relative, or if it is absolute. I would say Truth(right/wrong, good/evil) is absolute. But truth(worldviews) is relative.

Take this. You cant prove to me that the Earth is round. You cant do it. I dont know enough math to equate it, and I cant see the whole thing. There is no way to show me it is round, if I dont want to believe it. Relative truth. Thats all relativity in the realm of truth means. If you cant be inticed tobelieve that its the truth, then its not.

Im done making a fool of myself and my logic skills....

jane :P

I see what you're saying Watch...and mostly I agree with you. Christians ARE ruling out other options...but believe me (like I've said in the past) it ISN'T choice. I have found Evangelical Christianity to be true (and that is not a 100% thing either, it is partially based on faith as all things are)...since Evangelical Christianity says it is the only way and I see holes in the other views (from all that I've seen) then I do rule out the other options (because I feel like I have already found the right answer PLUS I feel those other answers have holes).

I don't really know what else to say except to reiterate that I did not choose to believe Christianity...

one problem NOFX...your view of truth seems to require that humans weren't always what we are now.  You say "before there was religions"...I don't think that time existed.  Man (in general) has ALWAYS believed in some higher power and I feel that they do because there IS a higher power.

Also, you say you'd choose Buddhism if you could.  That doesn't make sense to me.  How can you choose which religion has the truth if truth isn't relative?

ah my friend, not all religions are about the truth..... ;)