How do servers work with WC?

Fatty

I've not touched WC since we used to play WCII at Lans. Who runs the WC servers? How does that work?

Does it require anywhere near the bandwidth as other games? Is this something that Mantis could be used for? My prediction is that Mantis is going to be FTP only (and Homer's gonna owe me 5 bucks). However, Mantis can really do more than just FTP for our members, so we're open to possibilities that would be useful IN the community...(the DMZ as it stood until upgrade was a mess of a DM server that nobody we know was using)

actually I think a community FTP server would be a sweet thing to have...

but I guess bandwidth limitations would be a problem.

would be pretty cool to create a web based control panel and allow users to upload files through that and give them each a limit on how much space they can use.

GC Founder

FTP for Coalition members is happening, but not for the entire community. Each member that desires it will eventually have it.

No way could Mantis do DC. Doesn't DLM/DOH run a DC server?

There isn't such a thing as a dedicated server for WC3 that anyone can run. Basically the game is set up such that the only way to play multi is to find a match. #findscrim is a good analogy.

Luckily, WC3 multiplayer is provided by Battle.net for free with the game. It has cool functionality that will automatically match you with other players. Also has "friends list", ranking system, tourneys, etc. All in a single interface.

Yeah that ranking is iffy though. I used to be a level 13. Now I'm 1 again lol cause I had to make a new account. I feel sorry for the first nub or two I have to walk across from that matcher. Then again, maybe I'll run into a 18 who's playing as a 2, then I'll be screwed...

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

ohhh...so this game runs like Diablo? Which there is a bunch of servers that hold a limited number of ppl?? If that is so, then why would mantis not work? You could run your own server in diablo. Thats pretty lame... I thought this was supposed to be a mmorpg.

Edited by NOFX

(edited)
Wold of Warcraft is an online role-playing experience set in the award-winning Warcraft universe. Players assume the roles of Warcraft heroes as they explore, adventure, and quest across a vast world. Being "Massively Multiplayer," World of Warcraft allows thousands of players to interact within the same world. Whether adventuring together or fighting against each other in epic battles, players will form friendships, forge alliances, and compete with enemies for power and glory.

Got this from the site, some of you have the wrong impression of the game....

This game will cost 10-15 bucks a month to play. Bliizard has a few dedicated servers to play on...Where your character will only be on that server. Its just like any other mmorpg. Ultima Online, DoAC, Shadowbane, etc.....

Edited by NOFX

The servers for WoW are really server clusters for each "realm" available to characters. For instance, they will have a server called "undeadland" that you can start in and create a character, this will support up to 2-4k users and is a cluster of many PC's running together to create this one "realm".