Critique the girl

Playaa

Alright after listening to it i noticed a few things she might have to work on. Some of the high notes she isn't getting. She's like missing the notes by half a semitone, actually less than that, but it's quite noticable to the trained ear (not that i'm bragging).

Umm her annunciation is good but close to the end she lost a bit of it, not for too long but once again, noticable.

On the one high note she uses her fallcetto voice, maybe she could try to hit it with her normal voice. If it's to hard, Fallcetto is alright but then she has to work on hitting it a little louder, she kinda backed off at that part.

Other than that she is a very good singer.

She was also a little offbeat on the song, about 1:42 in she started losing it. She was hitting the notes about half a second behind the piano...

Add to that what X said...

Good singer, but has potential to be great...tell her to sing another and post it...something with a faster beat so we can judge that too...get both sides of the spectrum.

Gunny

im gonna agree with what playaa said

about pinching off those notes at the beginning and end of the lines

she does the same thing that britney spears does (with her voice)

like when she sings "these wounds wont seem to HEAL, this pain is just to REAL"

and she does get off beat in the middle of the song

she's got a great voice

she just needs some mo practice, then she'll be an idol :boing:

as for the off beat...I didn't notice what you guys were talking about...but then again I also know she wasn't trying to sing the song exactly like the origional...she was trying to sing it like SHE would sing it

(edited)

*points out that women do not have a falsetto voice.. (For those who aren't familiar with the term, it's that range when a guy sings really high and his voice loses all vibrado (sp?))

Anyway, she's pretty good. She gets MAJOR credit for being able to belt out a difficult song like that, however she is just a touch shy of those high notes. I'm not sure if she's just missing or if her range isn't quite high enough to reach them, but the consistency tells me it's the latter. I'd consider singing a song more suited to her range.

BTW Lazarus, that abrupt cutoff of a high note like that, is usually symptom of reaching for a note that you don't really have. Again, that's the way it comes across and I'd suggest a song better suited to her range.

Edited by NyxErinyes

That's not necessarily true Nyx but since there are varied opinions on the matter, a quick search found 3 different views, I guess I will just leave it alone.

Different views found:

1) Falsetto able to be used by both gender

2) Falsetto only used by males

3) Falsetto used by males, females use "head voice"

actually Nyx girls CAN sing in Falsetto but they shouldn't because it sounds bad...

listen to a guy singing falsetto and you can tell she is doing it as well about 3 or 4 times

(edited)

Ah. Comment withdrawn then. The definition of it that I am familiar with, females do not have. (Basically #3) Anyway, take the rest of my comments for whatever they're worth.

Edited by NyxErinyes

Simply Appauling. The worst thing I've ever heard. Did you hear the glass shattering?? Lol, j/k! That was my best Simon Cowell :)

Seriously, I think her notes were on pitch, her problem is she isn't projecting well on those notes.. Shes not breathing enough and trying to force them. Kinda like Nyx said with "BTW Lazarus, that abrupt cutoff of a high note like that, is usually symptom of reaching for a note that you don't really have." Good singing technique involves using your diaphragm.. Basically "breathing with your stomach".. And you really have to push air with those notes.. You dont take big breaths with your chest.. My choir teacher taught us to breathe with our stomachs and backs as silly as that sounds.. If you breathe right would back kinda puffs out.. Try it! :) A little more smooth like the guys said, and breathe :) She has good pitch.

Tell her to keep singing, she sounds great..

she needs to use all of her body... and get that true sound...

yet i am at school again...

listen to attempt 2 when i get home ....

Back me up xterm

NuT-+--)

Better...? Maybe? I'm not very familiar with Toxic. Again though, in some of the higher range, she just loses her projection... The consequence is that on quick series of notes, she goes loud, soft, loud, soft, and not in the good dynamics sort of way. She just loses her voice cause she either is straining for the note or just isn't controlling her breathing properly. Anyway, she's still very talented, and again major props for a difficult song. She just needs a little more control.

(edited)

i have nothing really to say.....its pretty much the same as what most people have said......she hes the potential to be great....she just needs a little more work

In all though, it was good :)

Edited by DIN0

It may have a tad to do with microphone type and placement as well.. A few vocal lessons never hurt anyone either.. If that's her passion, lesson would be a good step at this point.. Get a professionals point of view.. I heard William Hung is booked up through 2006.. So she'll have to settle for the next best thing I guess.. :)