PayPal

Dennis

got it, read most of it...didn't really understand it.

PayPal says they did nothing wrong, however they settled out of court, and there is now a fund with 9+ billion dollars that is to be paid out to anyone who was wronged by PayPal. There are a couple categories and depending on which category you fall into, you're entitled to some money if you feel you have been wronged.

Stupid American's trying to get a handout.

I got that email but I leaning toward it being a spoof, until I notice it adressed me by my first name. I read some of it, but Why would I be entitled money from Paypal? They did nothing wrong to me, they helped me make money. They even gave me 175 bucks back that I lost when I paid for an item I didnt receive.

:boo: to the people that use technicallities to get free money. Although I wouldnt mind to see a few hundred bucks added to my account :)

if you opened an account from those dates everyone who fills out the (exc exc) form will recieve part of the 1 million they are being sued for. So pretty much everyone who has a paypal account is trying to get a part of the money. So you pay a dollar to have the money mailed to you. Thats what i have gotten out of this.

I think the lawsuit revolves around the fact that PayPal is subject to EFTA, Electronic Funds Transfer Act. This means that PayPal did not provide basic levels of assistance/information to customers regarding fraudulent or incorrect transfers, as is required by EFTA.

It is legit, from what I can tell...however, I was on some other sites looking into this, and I wouldn't go about filing an (estimated) $50 (short form) claim if you don't have any transactions that paypal screwed up. If you file a short claim and you have not been burned yet, it's a gamble because paypal has the right and may check your account history, calling your bluff. If they catch you, it's perjury buddy.

And while I personally enjoy the concept of free money, my conscience is holding me back from taking $50 from paypal, a great service that has not burned me yet. Paying for ebay auctions and other internet purchases with paypal is the shizzy. These reasons, in addition to the possible risk of being caught for only a $50 profit is making me hold off on filing a claim. I hope you all do the same.

For those that have been burned, sorry to hear it, and I highly recommend doing the "long form" lawsuit. Not only will you get $50, but you may be able to get the amount you were burned on. If paypal screwed you, now's the chance to get some of it back...go get 'em, and I hope the end result isn't enough to buy a candy bar. $.87? Thanks paypal!!!

Besides, some peeps are speculating that it will be alot less than $50 anyway.

Oh wait...

HOW DO I KNOW IF I AM PART OF THE SETTLEMENT?

On July 12, 2004, Judge Fogel entered an order granting preliminary approval of the settlement and certifying the following class for purposes of the settlement: All Persons who opened a PayPal account during the period from October 1, 1999 through January 31, 2004. Excluded from the class are any judicial officer to whom the lawsuit is assigned; PayPal and any of its affiliates; any current or former employee, officer, or director of PayPal; anyone who resides in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, The Netherlands, or United Kingdom; and all persons who timely and validly request exclusion from the class pursuant to this notice.

Thus, if you opened a PayPal account between October 1, 1999 and January 31, 2004, and are not one of the excluded persons listed above, you are a member of the class.]

I've printed off a copy of the settlement and skimmed the notice. Looks like a typical class action style notice, asking for opting in or out. Haven't really looked at the nuts and bolts, but will eventually. Opting out/in isn't over until 10/24/04 if I'm remembering right. So there's time.

Someone prod me if I haven't updated this by 8/6/04.

basically Paypal is already paying the money Preacher...now the more people that sign up, the less money there is per person...but if Paypal will raise our rates from this, then there is nothing we can do cause it's already happened.

I was in another lawsuit like this once against a recording company...it basically came down to if you bought cd's from this company over a 2 year period then you qualified to recieve "reimbursment"...the final payout was over a million dollars...I got $3.60 (as everyone else did)...basically what's happened is that some lawyers saw a reason to sue paypal...then they find clients through the web and then distribute the money amongst those clients (after taking out their fee off the top). So basically, you'll probably end up with less than $10 and some lawyers are getting a large check for their efforts.

go ahead and sign up if you fit the criteria...the money is already there...might as well get your $.02 (which is probably what you'll really get :P )