Lasik Surgery

Magruter

I've had 4 friends and family get it. It is a wonderful procedure, BUT your eyes do revert in 4-7 years to about 30-50% of where they were before, so you'll be back to wearing contacts/glasses again. I've been considering it for about 15yrs now since radik (the scalpel one) was released.

I'd really not recommend it. Supposedly there are some technologies coming out that get around this reversion, but lasiks/radik all basically use the same procedures to correct your vision. The lasiks doctors all say it won't happen, but then I go drinking with my buddy and see him wearing glasses again.

I would HIGHLY reccomend it. I got it done 3.5 years ago and love it. If I had to spend the money each year to do it I would. I wore glasses for 20 years before I got this done and it is so nice living without them now.

I had 20/20 in both eyes after the surgery then my weak eye reverted to 20/40 after a year but neither has changed since then. It is quick and easy and WELL worth the money. No matter what procedure you get your eyes will continue to deteriorate over time, it happens to everyone.

My eyes haven't changed in 6 years, i think that would be stabalized.... Just found out my insurance covers 15% of the bill.. Which is nice.

If you do decide to do it, make sure you use pre-tax dollars (set aside to your medical allowance which usually resets once a year).

Both of my parents did it, and loved it! I took my dad to get his done, and we were in and out of the office in 30 minutes. The actual surgery took about 5 minutes. Both of them still need reading glasses to see way up close, but the doctor told them that if they had done the surgery when they were younger, they wouldn't have needed reading glasses, so I'd probably get it done at least before you get in your 40s.

I've had 4 friends and family get it. It is a wonderful procedure, BUT your eyes do revert in 4-7 years to about 30-50% of where they were before, so you'll be back to wearing contacts/glasses again. I've been considering it for about 15yrs now since radik (the scalpel one) was released.

I'd really not recommend it. Supposedly there are some technologies coming out that get around this reversion, but lasiks/radik all basically use the same procedures to correct your vision. The lasiks doctors all say it won't happen, but then I go drinking with my buddy and see him wearing glasses again.

This is near where I come out.

How long have they been doing this surgery? I love my eyes, as bad as they are (and I'm talking bad bad eyesight)....

My personal theory has always been: I'm going to wait 15-20 years from when it started to see what's going on with the people that have gotten it done, and to wait for the whole field to mature for a while.

Maybe I'm just skurred....but I'd like a lot more research to be done, and I assume the price will continue to drop. I've been wearing contacts since I was in 8th grade....it's just routine anymore.

I haven't gotten it, My father did though as a promotional thing(Paid for by the radio station he works for) about 4 or 5 yrs ago maybe? He does still need reading glasses for small print like when we go out to eat but driving and far away sight, he doesn't need the glasses.

My brother in law did this 20 years ago when it was first coming out.

whoa! it's been that long?

I guess I'll give it more time than I thought? Man, I really didn't think it was this old.

Wifey says it was at least 20 but it was called Radio Caratotomy (sp?) so it wasn't the same thing I guess.

I would recommend against it. The person who said it lasts 5-7 years is right. And its not something you can keep doing. Basically they take small layers off of your cornea and after a while, it gets too thin and they can no longer do the procedure.

There are some people from certain backgrounds that half thin corneas and they can't get the procedure at all.

I'd wait for the next thing.

Gond - That was the old one, they used razor blades instead of lasers to manipulate the cornea.

Ultimately it will be up to you Mag. As a former glasses/contact wearer I would gladly cough up the money again to have it done.

I also wanted to tell you to go to a good place. Spend the extra, which it sounds like you will, to have a reputable doctor doing the surgery. Mine almost tried talking me out of it when they went thruogh the risks of the procedure (vision loss, no guarantees, could be worse, etc...). I was glad they told me all the information up front.

I'd wait for the next thing.

Implants! Sheep eyeballs or ones grown from our own DNA?

Wait a second...I wouldn't want eyes grown from my own DNA....better make that the DNA of someone with good eyes! Maybe the eyes of an owl, but that might look funny.... Owls can't move their eyeballs.

Well, given that I have 20/20 vision, I shouldn't really say anything on the subject but...here's something to consider:

Right now, Lasik procedures thins your corneas. Some of my friends who wanted to get Lasik cannot because they were born with thin corneas. Apparently there is a large percentage of ppl with thin corneas.

Then take the fact that it is a temporary solution since it only last so many years.

So say 5 years from now, they come up with a procedure that is permanent but requires a moderately thick cornea. Those who got lasik may not be able to get this permanent procedure. I dunno. Maybe i'm just talkin out of my butt here. hehe.