BAH!!!!!!!

Magruter

Well most of you know my work situation looking for new job and what not. The reason why i started to look was b/c the place i'm at currently just doesn't have the work load to keep me busy. Well i found that true for a fact today. I sat down with the leader of the group and we had a nice little conversation about my work load or lack of billable work... Well to make a long story short, he gave me two options transfer to a busniess unit that requires traveling 9-10 months out of the year or start looking for a new job. (which i currently am) But here's my deliama. I've been actively looking for about 3 weeks now, and i've had phone interview. I need something good to happen within the next month or i'm going into my new marriage with no job. :bang:

Question: If i were to get laid off, how does unemployment work? How long does it last for?

Oh jeez Mag. Im sorry mang. I'm inclined to say take the travel position for now and look for something else like crazy! Will you get a little more money because of per diem? I would act real excited about traveling and then skip out whenever I found something better (give the two weeks of course).

I have no idea how long you should expect it to last. I would recommend contacting a head hunter. Ask about what the severance package is like from your company too. Some companies will pay you for a couple of months whilst you are looking elsewhere.

Of course, get your resume up on all the big sites too. You could try some cold calls to big companies I guess. Honestly, anymore, I think friends is the best way to find something new.

I wish I could help you man! You dont happen to have an Engr degree do you???

You can come crash at my place if you get any interviews in the DFW area.

Times art tuff with the econemy being so poor. I looked for a job for about a month and a half before I finally landed a new one. They said at school your friends are your best networking for finding a new job. I was one that always got the Sunday paper on Saturday night and looked for any job that would fit my sititution. I also bought a cd that helps you make resumes, cover letters, thank you letters and all kinds of other stuff and woudl spend Sunday night tailoring my resume and cover letter to them specific jobs in the paper. With my current job I always had Mondays off so that made it easy to be at them companys first thing in the morning. I also spent money on nice folders to put my cover letter and resume in and let them keep everything. It was kinda frustrating to becasue 9 out of 10 times I would have to fill a app out even though I had resume, so I always carried my job history with me with the exzact dates and info. I got alot of interviews but also got turned down to but some tricks I used I think greatly improved me to being a top 3 canidate at just about everyone were. At the end of the interview I always told them "Thank you for giving me the oppertunity to interview for this position and I hope to hear from you soon" and then the next day I would go out and by a nice Thank You card and personaly write them a short and sweet note in it about how I enjoyed the interview and the knowledge I gained from learning about the company and express to them how I am the right canidate for this postion and send it to them. I would wait a week and call back and ask them on the status of my app I put in last week. In these days and ages I believe you need to be aggresive but not to aggresive when it comes to finding a new job and dazzel them with what you know. The one thing that crushed me in a interview once was when they asked me what my weakness's are and I was not prepared for that question at all but I learned from that and came up with some good answers for that if I were ever asked again. They were "Weakness's: Public speaking (most people are afraid and terrible at this), another was "sometimes I through myself into my work to much" (meaning I spend alot of time before and after work at my job helping others). I hope some of this helps you out and wish you the best of luck in your search. Any edge you can gain over the next canidate with greatly improve your chances of landing the job you want.

As far as unemployment goes you can collect it for 6 months and then you can apply for a extention for another 3 months is usually the standard but I know that Bush passed a thing a while back that let you collect it for up to 18 months I believe but not sure if that has expired now or not. I collected it once, worked for a company for 12 years straight and then they closed the business, I qualified for the max benifits and I believe it was about 250 bucks a week.

Well, lets see what happens. I sent my resume into a great company Kohler. They make high quality faucets, most of you have probably heard of them. Oh yeah they also the 3 of the top 5 golf courses in wisconsin. The most recent you may know of is whistling straits. Where the 2004 PGA Championship was held. So Cross your fingers. This would be a great opportunity!! Just incase if you are wondering what i applied for.

Best opportunity

or this would work

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Thanks for the advice nubus.  Do you think a thank you card in order for a phone interview??

You should send a thank you of some sort. Even a thank you e-mail will work. Sort of acts as a reminder to the employer also.

Well, man this is awesome, i have soooooo many people looking out for me right now, at least in the past couple of weeks, all my friends and family ask for my resume. "They know someone" deal. Something has to come of this. But it's a nice feeling to know that family and friends are backing me up. :)

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

www.dell.ca

They are hiring, if you do not mind moving to Canada. I applied actually to see what comes of it.

Well once again I will say it's nice to know people that can help out!!

I was able to get my resume in for an internal posting at GE healthcare, Also a friend of the fiances mom works for HUSCO which they are looking for a EHS person, so I have a referral to the job posting there!!!

http://216.197.101.181/employment/

It's in Waukesha

Mag, that's great! And a couple of tips you probably already knew.

- Interview the person who has the inside scoop on that job (your fiance's friend)

- Tailor your resume before submission if possible so that it hits all the points that the job req points out!!!!!

- Try to understand exactly what the hiring manager is looking for (skills AND personality), then base your interview off that info, GL!!

Zap

Being that I am currently unemployed I can tell you exactly what to expect.

The unemployment laws were changed since Nubus was out of a job as he mentioned with Bush passing some laws. You can expect 51 weeks of unemployment pay and then can apply for an extension. I would imagine that you'd get some sort of severance from your company as well so you might be able to extend your time period for the job search. Hopefully it won't take you that long to find a job and the economy is bouncing back so I wish you the best. As far as unemployment pay you can expect to get like 60-70% of what you were making.

The only way you wouldn't qualify for it was if you were fired with just cause or if you quit. Otherwise you should be fine. The laws for it are definitely tailored for the employee side not the employer side.

To get unemployment you just have to at least apply to one job a week during the entire time you make a claim for it. You just write it down in a little book and keep track of it in case they ever audit you which is highly unlikely. The applications don't have to be in person. If you send a resume in via the internet that works too so it's fairly easy to find at least once place to apply each week.

It only takes a phone call to get enrolled and then you phone in every 2 weeks so state you were looking for a job, you didn't work during that time, etc. It's an automated system and takes like 5 min for the call tops.

Good luck with the job search!!

Edited by Zap

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)
Well, lets see what happens.  I sent my resume into a great company Kohler. They make high quality faucets, most of you have probably heard of them.  Oh yeah they also the 3 of the top 5 golf courses in wisconsin.  The most recent you may know of is whistling straits.  Where the 2004 PGA Championship was held.  So Cross your fingers.  This would be a great opportunity!!  Just incase if you are wondering what i applied for.

Best opportunity

or this would work

Hey dude, i sell fasteners to Kohler Co. they are big... What is it that your qualified to do? What are you wanting to do?? I know a few head hunters and do business with several companys here in Ohio that are looking for people..

I just hit the links you listed, and kinda know what your into..

Wait for some reason i keep thinking that your in Ohio, but your not are you?

Edited by Batman

Shucks Mag!

Good luck searching man! I dunno what type of job you are looking for, but let me know. Im not far from you (sorta). I live in the Detroit area. But, if you would like me to, I can give your resume to various friends n family members. I got laid off out no where 2 years ago, so I know what your thinkin, hehe.

Let me know if you're interest'd tho!

:peace:

Sry Mag, GL man. I will keep my eyes peeled for ya. Meanwhile, take a day off! THEN, get after it :P

Actually with the wedding, if you could limp along a little that might be for the best. Or set up your iterviews after?

Wish I could help :(