Questions

Can anyone be a christian ? Who's excluded ?

Are all sins equal ?

Will anyone one sin keep you from heaven ? I mean like.. are there any sins that can't be forgiven ?

How do I research issue's directly out of the Bible ? I have an extremely hard time finding scriptrure relevant to what im searching for at the time.

Last year I didn't believe in Jesus, now I do. Is this acceptable ? Is this how it happens ? It's like out of no where this huge curiousity hits me and everything around me reminds me of religion. Stranger's i've meet this week start talking about religion. I found a wooden cross that says "Jesus saves" on it, UNDER my wallet. I was in subway paying for a sub and put my wallet on the counter, right in the middle. No way did I not see it when put my wallet down, no way did anyone lift up my wallet and put it under there. It's impossible. How did this little cross get UNDER my wallet within the 10 seconds it took to pay.

I have million's of questions, but i'll save them for later. I honestly feel like I could write 15 page's of questions and thought's that i've come across the last few weeks right now, but i'll spare myself and everyone here of that, for now.

Help ? I think that's what i want, i want to understand sin, how to erase it, if it can all be erased. What are sins, because i need to know them, or i'll keep doing them. Where do i read about this, what if there's thing's that are habits that are sins, are you allowed to continue to sin knowing that it's wrong and just keep asking for forgiveness for the same sin over and over ?

www.crosswalk.com has a searchable online Bible. That might be of assistence.

I would recommend finding a church to go to. You are going to get swamped with every kind of answer with the internet. But it is so much easier when you sit down with real folks or maybe talk to a real pastor.

But I wil take a stab at answering your questions about sin. Sin is basically any act that is in disobedience to God. As you would guess that entails quite a bit. But the first thing you need to understand is that we are all sinners (Rom. 3:10, 23). Romans 5:12 (maybe 8) tells us we have a sin 'nature'. Basically we are prone to sin. And that tendency will never go away (on this earth).

Now onto 'erasing' sins. I could write forever about this but I will try to keep it simple. Our sins cause problems between us and God. Of course God is Holy and cannot accept us with our sins. So you see we have a big connundrum here. We are sinners and prone to it. God is holy and cannot abide sin. This is where God's plan of salvation comes in. It involves the greatest story that has ever been told. Not only is God Holy but the Bible says God IS love. "For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, should not perish but have everlasting life." God loved mankind so much that He made a way for him to have his sins 'erased' or forgiven. It involved a perfect sacrifice. His son. Jesus was the payment for the sins of mankind. On the cross, He shed his blood and basically made a way for man to know God.

This forgiveness is made available to all those who ask for it. It is God's gift to us. But we must receive the payment... i.e. the Son. So our sins are washed away by the blood Jesus shed when we come to God, acknowledging our sins, and ask Him to clean us from our sins.

Now about continuing in sin. Romans 6:1 is a good verse to look at. God does not want us continuing in our sins. But there are sins of 'weakness' or even a 'besetting sin'. These sins are the ones we struggle with. In time God will help us get the victory but we will always be more prone toward these sins. God helps us though. He is the Good shepherd. We like sheep tend to go astray but he brings us back. Even sometimes using the rod to help us stay close to Him. I have asked forgiveness for a few particular sins MANY, many times. And He is 'faithfull and just to forgive us our sins'.

So yes you can keep asking forgiveness for you sins but you left one step out. Repentence. We sin but when we ask for forgiveness we have to come with repentence which is simply sorrow for our sins.

Man, just trying to put myself in your shoes with all those question even made my head swirl :D There is soooo much to learn and its hard to not try to answer evey question but I know I couldn't. I just know that you have started down and path that is so wonderful. I know it seems like more questions now than anything but as God gives you the answers you will experience the greatest life you could live.

I remember being in your shoes a short while ago. Right now, I would still label myself a Christian "newbie", with Cong and Aug being the veterans.

When I first had "the thirst", my most difficult questions were "Is it that simple?" and "Why am I entitled to this gift?". As corny as it sounds, answering that on your own will make the answer that much better.

After attending church and reading a lot, my next question was, "Am I doing enough?" or, in other words, "Can I do more?" Cong and Aug helped me with that which you can read in another thread.

By receiving Christ, you become (and strive) to be a better person. Doing good things comes naturally because of this.

The antithesis is: I must do good things to go to heaven, which is incorrect. You will discover this as you read and ask questions.

As far as sins go, my simplistic view is not little sin vs. big sin but rather right or wrong. Is speeding worse than running a red light? Is murder worse than adultery? My answer is the same. All are wrong...and all are forgivable provided you've accepted Christ, you admit your sin and you are sincerely ask for forgiveness.

Supporting Scripture: Being in the same boat, I cannot find chapter and verse to turn to when I need it the most. There is a different type of Bible, which Cong and Aug could help me name, which works things out for people like us. It lists different types of problems or questions or issues and indexes all of the supporting scripture relating to those probs/questions/issues.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of that kind of Bible, but it is VERY helpful.

I assure you I don't have all, or even some of the answers you are looking for. I just wanted you to know that there are others out there that have recently discovered Christ...and it's a good thing!

Keep asking and keep reading.

MrDuke

uumm....wow dude.

I'm gonna leave the tough answers to Rev for now (though I'll try to post more at work tomorrow).

But man...I'm definatly here if you need to talk. AIM is Saikoboi, MSN is pselus@hotmail.com One thing I must stress is what Rev said...go find a person to talk to face to face. But DEFINATLY don't go somewhere you don't feel comfortable. Go find a nice smaller church...walk in on a sunday and see if someone introduces themselves...and take it from there.

like Rev said...I can't even begin to imagine the questions flying around in your head. I guess one thing to keep in mind is that just because you can't figure out an answer to something, doesn't mean there isn't an answer. I've believed in Christ for 17 years...and I still feel like a "newb".

:peace:

First off, let me me say that we won't have all the right answers...heck no one will have all the right answers...if someone did then we wouldn't have disagreements within the church...but that's a failing of man, not a failing of God.

Secondly, that's something that hasta be remembered. Man has a tendency to taint what God gave us. Things like godhatesf@gs.com. The entire point and belief of that site is contrary to Christs greatest teaching; that of love. So, after examining something like that and comparing it to the teachings of Christ...you should see for yourself that it doesn't agree with God therefore it shouldn't be blamed on God.

Third (and I don't think you'll have a problem with this) - NEVER be a blind follower. There is nothing wrong with following...but following blindly without questioning isn't going to do any good for you or others around you. Examine everything your taught at a church, even things we tell you here should be studied...because we're all human, we all screw up...and even if I have the best intentions I could be wrong...

uumm...I have so much to say but I know I'm just gonna end up rambling...I wish I could talk to you in person about all this...I'm still in shock over your first post and how open it is.

I guess I'll try to put my spin on your questions for now...sorry if I go off on a tagent...I have 17 years of previous learning that I'd like to give you in 10 minutes...

Can anyone be a christian ? Who's excluded ?

yes anyone can be a Christian...some people have a problem with this because they don't see how someone like Jeffery Dauhmer (sp?) could possibly go to Heaven...but that all depends on your view of God. People tend to see God as either a harsh ruler, or as a cuddly teddy bear...when he's neither. He's more like a strict mentor. Someone who is willing to reprimand you when you get out of line but does it for your own benefit. And when you have the right view of God you can better understand why we do what we do. I don't obey God because I'm afraid he'll zap me with a lightning bolt. And I don't obey because I think it'll help me get more rewards in this life and in Heaven. I obey because I want to make my mentor happy and let him be pleased in what he's taught me.

rambling over on that question.

Are all sins equal ?

in God's eyes, yes. I could go into detail...but that's the gist.

Will anyone one sin keep you from heaven ? I mean like.. are there any sins that can't be forgiven ?

I'll give you the 2 main views on this (because remember, we're all human and we don't all know every answer). I'm not gonna say which view is mine right now:

1) no sin can keep you from Heaven once you've accepted Christ. Now this hangs people up because they don't get why we "christians" don't just go do whatever we want since nothing can keep us from Heaven. Well the problem with that is that Christ made requests of us on how to act and how to live. Now if I believe in Christ, and I believe he really is God's Son in human form, and Christ made these requests of me as my only job in Christianity...then if I don't do those jobs that the Son of the one God asked me to do...do I really believe he's the Son of the one and only omnipotent, omnipresent, all-knowing God? Basically, if I say I believe...but this HUGE belief has no change on my life...do I really believe?

2) yes, you can be seperated from God. But the only thing that can do it is your concious decision to be seperated from him. Basically, some people believe that if you conciously tell God that you reject him...then he will grant you that wish.

How do I research issue's directly out of the Bible ? I have an extremely hard time finding scriptrure relevant to what im searching for at the time.

basically...through study and practice. I still have trouble finding some things in the Bible. People who can remember verses down to the word...the reason they can do it is because they practice...either through learning verses and memorizing them...or through researching topics alot.

Last year I didn't believe in Jesus, now I do. Is this acceptable ? Is this how it happens ? It's like out of no where this huge curiousity hits me and everything around me reminds me of religion.

Have you heard much about the Holy Spirit? The Trinity? If not we can get into that later. But the Holy Spirit is like God's...secretary...sorta...

I'm bad with words. The Holy Spirit is basically the go-between for us and God. And the Holy Spirit is also what people often take for your conscience...and he's usually the way that people first start taking interest or having questions about God. He uses all these circumstances to remind you and to give you more questions and interest.

what if there's thing's that are habits that are sins, are you allowed to continue to sin knowing that it's wrong and just keep asking for forgiveness for the same sin over and over ?

now we come to intents. Don't let anyone ever tell you that they never sin. We ALL sin. Like Rev said, it's about repentance. And I want to add that it's about intent. If I have a weakness (and believe me, I have many), and I do my best to not give into this weakness...but I fail in the end...that's what repentance is...I am truly sorry for this action, even if I do it 100 times in a day...that's why we NEED Christ. Like Rev said, we are born with a sin nature. We can get around that nature...but we will always fail at some time or another...we can't be perfect. And when we DO fail...Christ is there to bridge the gap we created between God and us.

so yeah...I guess that's all...don't know if it helps or what.

Edited by Playaa/Pselus

Killer, you have plenty of people to talk to in this, rest assured. The others seem to be guiding you along on the tough questions, so I'll pull up the comic relief side.

Ned Flanders: But Reverend, I need to know, is God punishing me?

Rev. Lovejoy: Shooh, short answer: "Yes" with an "If," long answer: "No" ... with a "But."

They're tough questions, but keep looking for the answers.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. " (Matthew 7:7, NIV)

:):)

Wow, you guys are great. And a lot of other question's don't matter knowing what's been said to me in here.

Thanks for that last verse Fox.

Plaaya, no i hadn't heard of Trinity and the Holy Spirit. Well.. i've 'heard of' but didn't know what they were, it's never been explained, thanks for that.

By receiving Christ, you become (and strive) to be a better person. Doing good things comes naturally because of this.

This literally smacked me in the face.

I will go to a church, but when it's quiet and I can talk with someone. Other then that, i really prefer religion to be on my own. Like i don't want a preacher to be giving me his interpretation things, i want to read it and understand it the way i am.

Thanks guys, your splendid. ;)

Killer, I totally understand not wanting to be fed religion...I haven't heard a sermon in probably 6 or 7 months. I go to church, head into sunday school (the small classes that are meant to get into more personal topics) and I walk out after that.

I think the best thing you could do is find a church that does "small groups" (it's a bit of a fad going around the US right now, but it's a good thing). Small Groups are basically a group of people from the church that meet on a weeknight every week and spend time studying the Bible in a PERSONAL setting. I would just recommend picking up a phone book and calling around to churches and ask them about small groups...then visit the ones you're interested in and get to know a few people...because the best way to improve your relationship with God is by having strong relationships with Christians.

Also, the Trinity refers to "God the Father, God the Son and God the Spirit". It's an idea that some people find hard to understand, but that's because humans think inside the box. The idea is that God, his son Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one interconnected being, yet at the same time they're 3 seperate entities. sound weird enough for ya?

:P

*edit*

btw, I'll definatly keep you in my prayers that you will find the answers you're looking for

Edited by Playaa/Pselus

I was replying to this thread when the power went out. Hope I can get this one posted ;)

For a christian there is nothing more exciting than to see someone else 'come to Christ'. This thread had been a blessing to me.

I agree with Playaa. You can come to God completely on your own and you can worship God completely alone (in fact we are commanded to). But the benefits of church worship are great. It is a really nice thing to know I have brothers praying for me by name. To know that brothers would be willing to sacrifice on the spot to help me. The distinguishing mark of a christian is his relationship with his 'brothers' which is found in the context of a church setting. It provides support when we are weak (and we all are weak from time to time). It gives you opportunity to actually practice christianity (service and charity). And there is even (don't take this the wrong way) some accountability. If I don't show up at church for awhile, I know someone is going to be calling me up. Not in a condemning way but in a supportive way. I know it sounds bad but its really good. To know that people care enough to 'lift me up' if I were to fall is comforting to me.

I don't know, I know most churches have drifted far away from what God intended. But I believe God has a church for everyone. But remember no church is perfect. I think it depends a lot on their 'spirit'. A spirit of grace and love.

But your right. Let the Bible be your guide. And like Playaa said, not everything we say is actually truth. You can make the Bible say anything you want by taking verses and 'twisting' them.

I would encourage you to read the Gospel of John. It deals a lot with Jesus dealing with people.

I found a wooden cross

The cross...end of story. If you found the cross (spiritually)...whooo boy!

Consider for a moment that Jesus has been praying for you. Yes, THE MAN, interceding for you specifically. Consider that he has been patiently and prayerfully calling out to you for your entire life.

And look. From what I read, it sounds like you were at a moment in your life when you actually could hear Him.

Whoa. Praise God.

Revelation 3:20 - Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any one hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 

Wow.

So yes you can keep asking forgiveness for you sins but you left one step out. Repentence. We sin but when we ask for forgiveness we have to come with repentence which is simply sorrow for our sins.

I have always remembered one specific illustration on repentence where it was defined as a "change in direction." Consider driving down the road, whatever road you choose. Repentence means a turn, a turn off that road. A change.

Can you find yourself back on the same road even after truly having repented? Um, we suck. But God knows the heart, and sees right through our soul, and when we go to him humbly, only we know the count and how many times we've been there before....we have trouble understand how it's possible, but He's in the business of forgiveness!

Killer,

congrats on your faith. It excites all of us who are belivers cause we have been there too and are still there.

My words of encouragement are to seek God with honesty. NO BS! Be real with God and with others about who you are and do that which builds up. If you find yourself tearing others down STOP!

Those who arent real are living a lie and I believe don't grow. So don't be afraid to speak your mind in church or here. We all have questions but it's his kindness (not knowledge) that leads us to repentance.

My question to you is who is God that you would follow him.

For me, my mom died when I was 20 and thats where God intervened and began drawing me. I realized death was sooo terrible and that caused me to look into the proposition of eternal life. My problem I feel is that I found religion but not love. I am now learning that to do good is better than to know all answers in life.

The bible will confuse you if you try to put your finger on God. So although you will have TONS of questions about WHY, don't expect answers. Christians have different opinions on different passages but they are all connected through spirit.

Also I always quote that verse also..

Seek and you WILL find.

So although the world will throw every excuse on why there is no God

Or many churches will tell you "you have to be baptized"...always remember the law is not good enough to perfect you. Love will make the most profound affects on your life.

Pay attention to the models God gave you. Your Mom and Dad. Your wife or to be wife. These things are here to show us how God loves us and someday when you have a kid (assuming you don't already) you will feel such an intense love to protect it will blow you away. Relate these things to GOD and he will open your mind totally.

So I say "go and seek bro"

It's good to hear you care...

God Bless and its way cool and exciting!

Auggy

The distinguishing mark of a christian is his relationship with his 'brothers' which is found in the context of a church setting.

I couldn't agree with that more. That's one reason I suggested he seek out a small group. They are sometimes oriented by sex (meaning all guys or all girls) and can allow you to develop strong relationships and get support from people who understand you. I know that there are some guys in my church of all ages (from 16 to 70) that I would trust with my life and can bring any problem to and know that they will help me find an answer.

Also, when we speak of "love", don't get that confused with what the dictionary describes love as (which oddly enough includes a definition of "strong sexual attraction"...how sad is that?). We're talking about love that is self sacrificing and a love that involves alot more than romance. In fact, Corinthians 13 pretty much describes it all. If you can live your life by Corinthians 13 and nothing else...you would be a great person.

I am definatly wanting updates too

and I understand not wanting to walk into a sunday school class...but I mean, is there anyone in your life who maybe helped lead you in this direction? It's pretty rare for thoughts like these to come up without involvement from at least one person...couldn't you go to that person for help?

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking to see how things are going. You've got me on the edge of my seat, you know...

I really want this topic to grow but I respect your request for space and time. Heh,heh--sounds like a break-up line!!!

Let me know if you feel like chattin'

Duke

WAIT WAIT!!  Ok All Killer, just a month or so ago you told me you didnt believe you had a soul!!!  Something BIG must have happened to you in the last month.. :)

Yes it did. Then a bunch of smaller things happened too.

I'm definately more at peace with myself now. Still reading and learning, haven't gone to Sunday school yet though. I'm enjoying my spiritually being learned on my own.

Thanks for checking in with me guys :wub:

P.S. After 5 years of daily marijuana use im clean. Free will, i didn't get in any trouble to make me quit.

Edited by All Kill3r

dang...that is some INTENSE free will you got there.

after 5 years of being fat...I still am. No free will.

got any advice?

*edit*

btw, you are definatly still in my prayers and while I do understand the need to study on your own, don't let that be your only studying time. You will never discover so much as when you discuss with others. And like I said...the key is finding the best church for you...there is no perfect church...only a perfect church for you...don't be afraid to be that guy who walks in 5 minutes late and leaves 5 minutes early...and if you like the church, come back and THEN get to know the people there. Eventually you're going to NEED to make friends and have people to hold you accountable and help you learn, etc.

Basically I'm just saying it can be dangerous to study on your own (just as dangerous as never studying).

if you ever wanna talk or something:

636-675-2389

call me

Edited by Playaa/Pselus

hehe. I think giving up something like a drug and trying to loose weight are on 2 different levels. Quitting a drug doesn't take long before you don't want it anymore. Loosing weight takes a long time. I'll pray you get the motivation to take action, it's not going to be easy if your serious about it.