Software problem

Xterminator

Alright pple we've got a situation here.

A friend of mine has a problem on her comp. She booted up and she found a few icons on her desktop that weren't there before. Naturally first thing she tried was right click and delete.

First problem, she can't right click on them. Thus no delete. She can select them by 1 left click but delete button on keyboard won't work either

She's running WINDOWS 98. THe icons take her to an internet link. She ran a spy-ware program Ad-aware 4.6 (yeah i know out of date) and it found nothing.

So after program ran it found some stuff and deleted it.

I tried to get her to go through settings, control panel, add and remove programs. but nothing was listed there, maybe it's under a different name?

What to do, she wants to get rid of these icons.

• 2 weeks later...

You might also try a program like RegCleaner, its free and you can get it on Downloads.com i think, but it shows alot of stuff in the uninstall section that does not show up in windows. Although you may have a problem now if you have partially deleted stuff.

I agree on the Mozilla thing, I have'nt had a single issue with spyware since i started using Firefox.

Also, with the spyware tools, I use a program cocktail, SpyBot S&D, AVG Antivirus, and a newer version of Adaware. Running all three has always gotten rid of everything when i used to have that problem. AVG will run in the background and pick stuff up as it tries to install.

Hope this helps.

Have you had her try Yahoo Antispy? Yeah I know, Yahoo, but it works really good, especially on IE spyware. I run it weekly, and at least once it has found a trojan that both Spybot 1.3 and AdAware SE both missed. You can get it with the new Yahoo toolbar.

I've been using firefox for awhile now and it's pretty good, but I just heard a few days ago about a big hole in it security wise. This is supposedly going to be fixed in the next version. I believe the hole was somethind due to spyware and/or phishing software.

Edited by Ice_Berge_00

Also look at the programs she has installed. A lot of freeware and shareware apps install icons on your desktop.

If she still cannot get rid of the icon, from the run prompt type 'cmd'.

Navigate using the 'cd' command to your desktop. I don't rem what it is in windows 98, but it is something like c:/users/<her name>/desktop. You can look at the contents of a given directory with the 'dir' command. When you find the icons you want to delete, you can delete the with the 'delete' command.

Hope that helps.

Snoogins.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Well her first problem is Windows 98. When was the last time she did a fresh install of this? If it has been over a year, then she is over due.

The adware of 4.6 is out of date and will not detect new spyware. So that software in its current version is useless.

On a daily basis I need to deal with Windows 98 and ME, the horrible junk OS's that they are. I love how Windows 98 will need multiple files to install a device, install one file than ask you for the next file which is in the same location but is too stupid to look there so you need to spend time telling win98 to look there. WinME with the non stop crashes and lock ups.

Better yet, I advice anyone and everyone here to get Xp or at the very least get a copy of Windows 2000 on your computer.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
I'd suggest a program called HiJackthis  just google for it, it's lovely.

I do not recommend ANYONE who has never used this and doesn't know what to do to use this. All it takes is removing one wrong file to render windows inopperably.