What happened to good service?

gOOters

I think I might just quit going out all together. Last night, all night, at the resteraunt and at the bar afterward, nothing but lackluster hustled service. We went to a relatively upscale place for dinner and felt rushed and had to fight for the server's attention the whole time.

We get this all the time! Wifey and I are pretty young, so maybe we dont get the same attention? Or is it all this bad? She was a server once and all my friends were in college, so we are good tippers, but not on the average because we get mediocre service more often than not!

I think maybe we need to just cook and make our own drinks from now on :boo:

We went to an improv comedy club that was FANTASTIC though :)

Even WITH a break, they might have been bad.

Anyways, his "get this all the time" comment means beyond just yesterday it sounds.

If the service is bad, tell the server, explain to him/her what the issue is...if you are too shy to do that, talk to the manager. Nothing gets fixed if you don't say anything.

Having worked in a restaurant, I will tell you that better service will get you more money from tips than actually rushing people in and out. Sure, they won't get as many meals ordered. But, people are more likely to sit there and order more from a good server. If you get service that is bad enough, talk to a manager. The last thing a GM wants is an upset customer. You might have your meal discounted, or paid for, just to keep you happy.

Catriona and I know about getting crappy service because you are young. People automattically assume that just because you are younger, you won't tip or you aren't serious about buying something. We went to a snotty part of the city to look at a motorcycle, and was completely ignored. We walked out by the sales people, who were talking amongst themselves, and I told Catriona quite loudly, "Too bad I didn't get any help here! I really loved that Ducati in the back corner!" Could have been the sale of their day... too bad! :P

Its the server trying to turn their tables. I can understand it to an extent. But if I keep them from turning my table, I usually make up for it with a great tip. Last night he just wanted us up and out so he could get another couple at the table. I wanted another margarita and instead I got the check...

Not worth getting mgr involved, I didnt feel like making an issue.

Just a trend that I have noticed, service isnt good anymore. Every resteraunt has that turn and burn attitude it seems.

Maybe we will save up and go out less often but to really nice places. I'll bet they dont try to hurry you (but I really wouldnt know because I dont eat at super expensive places ever, heh).

Its the server trying to turn their tables.  I can understand it to an extent. But if I keep them from turning my table, I usually make up for it with a great tip. Last night he just wanted us up and out so he could get another couple at the table.  I wanted another margarita and instead I got the check...

Not worth getting mgr involved, I didnt feel like making an issue.

Just a trend that I have noticed, service isnt good anymore.  Every resteraunt has that turn and burn attitude it seems.

Maybe we will save up and go out less often but to really nice places. I'll bet they dont try to hurry you (but I really wouldnt know because I dont eat at super expensive places ever, heh).

I hear you bad service is really frustrating but so is working on the holiday. I tipped the pizza guy who brought me pizza new years even 20$ and wished him a happy new year.

having several people who i know work in food service....never complain to a watier/waitress until you have your food....ever

unless you talk directly to the manager

besides the point, me and my girlfriend get perfect service 85% of the time...when i get bad service though i leave a dollar and a half of stick of gum for a tip...i would never tip full for bad service (likewise when i get really good service i leave a rather large tip)

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

Atleast you guys don't get eye-balled for walking into a 7-11 like you're the plague.

If you've ever been horribly served, instead of not leaving a tip, just leave 1 cent.. it gets the point across much better.

Atleast you guys don't get eye-balled for walking into a 7-11 like you're the plague.

If you've ever been horribly served, instead of not leaving a tip, just leave 1 cent.. it gets the point across much better.

I knew a waiter who was fired and almost arrested for assault because he got a nickel for a tip. Lady set it right in front of him because she thought she had received bad service. I can almost guarantee you that it wasn't bad. This guy would go 10 extra miles to make sure service was good, so it could have been a fluke or something. Anyways, he ended up just raking the nickel onto the floor and walking off. Needless to say, the GM was none too happy :blink:

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests
I knew a waiter who was fired and almost arrested for assault because he got a nickel for a tip.  Lady set it right in front of him because she thought she had received bad service.  I can almost guarantee you that it wasn't bad.  This guy would go 10 extra miles to make sure service was good, so it could have been a fluke or something.  Anyways, he ended up just raking the nickel onto the floor and walking off.  Needless to say, the GM was none too happy  :blink:

I'm referring to incidents much worse than your usual bad service.. ie: my grandfather (who has horrible vision.. but that's another story) got a steak that was still blue.. and the waiter argued with him that it was medium and refused to do anything.

Simple bad service and you just tip cheap :].

There are a few differnet opinions that I have gotten from my roommate whos worked food service for the longest time.

1.) large groups of young people leave squat for tips

2.) 2 person young couples leave decent-to-good tips

3.) Average joe and jane customer = random

4) Older well to do couples = good tips with perfect service...otherwise squat

5) Older couples in general give lower to average tips

Sorry for your mishap...I'd go back one more time on an average day and see what is up and tip well if served decently...they'll probably remember you better if you tip when served well. Conversly, tip badly or make a remark and you're likely to get bad service every time.

15% baby...not a dime more, unless I'm drunk, then 50s have flew before...hehe

I always tip 20%...generally I get good service. One thing to try is when you first talk to the waiter/waitress have a nice starting conversation. Using the persons name is a really good idea. Once you start nice it's harder for them to be nasty to you.

We also tend to go to the same places all the time so after a while people get to know you (I love when the bartender just says "two tall miller lites?" when I walk up). We always get great service at Outback...we have been to a number around the country and they have all been great. Red Lobster is the same.

Oh yea, and, ALWAYS tip the pizza delivery guy well!!!

(edited)

Ya I always take care of the pizza guy.

Not a random occurance Brillo...a general observation. Also, this is funny, we go to Zio's Itialian alot and a month or so ago, we tipped the little waitress like 100%, because she was sweet and did a great job and my wife has always wanted to do that to make a server's day.

Three weeks later, same place, same server...terrible service!? Heh. I attributed that one to just having a cruddy night, it happens.

But seriously, service sucks alot these days.

Oh, and we (wife and I) have our own server at On the Border mexican resteraunt for our Wednesday night margarita and beer date. :D Always walks up to us with our drinks in hand ;)

BTW, I have heard from servers that the chatter and banter that you might engage in will only earn you a :rolleyes: when the server turns their back, thats just them working for their tip!

Edited by gOOters

Honestly, take up cooking. Now I might be laughed at for saying that; but some of the best meals i've ever had were one's I made. Now it wasnt raman, or craft dinner; im talking about the good stuff, steak, salmon, stir fry's, roast chiecken. Stuff like that.

I've been cooking with my mother since I was like 8, so I have a pretty good idea what to do, but you can always find recipes online.

Plus, if you make dinner for the gf (or in your case the wife) you can get her to do things for you...............

like go get you beer from the store

:-D

Im a good cook, and teaching my wife to be too :)

But we are getting too busy to cook as much as we would want to. One thing we like to do is order food to go from a restaurant. Then we get to eat whilst watching HBO, cheap drinks, and EZ clean up! ;) But sometimes we wanna be out of the house...not often though, since we are never there anyhow! :(

Service for wife and I has been lackluster lately, too, even outside of the college town. Around here, though, you can never expect great service. It's a college town with a high turnover rate in the job market, and the few servers who do good make great tips, so when someone comes in for a job the manager misrepresents the average tip by giving the average high-earner. So, you get college kids who believe that as a server tipping is an entlitlement, not a reward (and who can blame them since restaurants around here never make up the minimum wage if you're short on tips for a day) and when they get bad tips they provide worse service. Around here, it is very heavily dependant on the employee...some are just in it for the paycheck and some are people-persons.

Having worked in a restaurant, I will tell you that better service will get you more money from tips than actually rushing people in and out.  Sure, they won't get as many meals ordered.  But, people are more likely to sit there and order more from a good server.  If you get service that is bad enough, talk to a manager.  The last thing a GM wants is an upset customer.  You might have your meal discounted, or paid for, just to keep you happy.

Catriona and I know about getting crappy service because you are young.  People automattically assume that just because you are younger, you won't tip or you aren't serious about buying something.  We went to a snotty part of the city to look at a motorcycle, and was completely ignored.  We walked out by the sales people, who were talking amongst themselves, and I told Catriona quite loudly, "Too bad I didn't get any help here!  I really loved that Ducati in the back corner!"  Could have been the sale of their day...  too bad!  :P

Talk to the manager and let him know the service sucks... i went to sharies one time and the sandwich i got had a wraper in it... so i told them.. he gamme 2 free meals and my food /drink /bill cut. Guess they dont like people telling them there food sucks =P

talk to the manager if it happens again =(

NuT- :lol::lol: