Cordless drill advice

simkiller

I'm not familiar with what is available in that price range, let me take a look around and I'll post up with my thoughts.

***Edit***

I'm assuming you don't know much about the options available for drills, if you do please over look the noobish sound of this post.

Ok, I perused the Home Depot and Craftsman websites for a few minutes to look around. Most of my comments are going to depend on what your intended use of this drill is. If its hanging pictures, curtain rods, and the general low maintenance stuff aroud the house, the lower end of the spectrum is going to be just fine. I have the 14.4 Dewalt and I wish I had more power. I use mine all the time though, in fact have gone through 2 extra batteries all ready. I do heavy home remodeling as well as building furnature, so I would put much more wear on one than someone I talked about above. So, if you are more of the first type, you can no doubt get what you need in the price range you are looking for. Based on past performance off all my different tools and brand types that I've used, I would say for durability and performance sake, you will be much happier with a Dewalt, Milwaukee, or Makita(Makita would be my third choice). You can get cheaper drills, don't get me wrong, and I'm sure people here even have them and suit their needs fine, but I think in the long run these are the brands that are going to hold up best to the abuse.

That said, the examples I have here are Dewalts:

$100, $129, and $169 are the Dewalts in 9.6V, 12V, and 14.4V respectively. They come with the stardard 2 batteries, 1 hr. Charger and what not. The 9.6V does 0-1100 rpm while the other two will do 0-1400 rpm. This comes in most handy when you are actually drilling a hole more than drving screws and things. For driving screws its pretty much the higher the voltage the more the torque. All three have forward/reverse switching(honestly, its crazy, but some brands do not offer this) as well as variable speed(comes in handing when starting screws without a pilot hole).

In my opinion, one of these three would be the best bang for your buck. If you are looking into hardcore usage, I would definately consider uping your price limit and going for the 18V. Like I say, I have the 14.4 and wish I had gotten at least the 18V....I think they even make a 24V now.

Obviously I like the dewalts, but its best to go down to the store and pick up the different drills, see what feels best in your hand. If you are going to be working with the drill for any length of time in one stretch, erganomics(sp?) are also a huge factor. If you decide the dewalts are too pricey, or you don't need that heavy duty of a drill, just keep the specs I laid out for the dewalts in mind. Each one of those things I listed above helps you in a different way, find the drill that best suits you and your applications.

I would say in heavy duty everyday job type applications, the Milwaukee knocks the socks off of any other drill. We beat the crap out of ours at my old job and it just kept on ticking.

As far as the hammer drill goes, unless he's looking to actually do some drilling into concrete or cinder blocks, I think that's a little bit of and over shoot. Seems by his post he's thinking more around the house stuff.

The only reason I suggested the Dewalts over the Milwaukee was his price range.....Milwaukee's tend to be much more pricey, but they are well worth it in my opinion!!!

one word. BOSCH.

Exactamundo.

Bosch drills are like comparing a Cadillac to a GEO. I have the 18v drill, jigsaw, and recip. saw, best purchases ever! I also have a Bosch corded hammer drill which is the way to go, using the cordless hammer just beats the thing to death.

I used DeWalt for years, drill was ok, miter saw lasted about 14 months before it was total junk. Now i use Makita 10 dual bevel slide, and also have a 12" Bosch compound. Also have a Bosch Table saw. I LOVE BOSCH, in case you did'nt notice.

The Bosch also has a steel rod that runs the whole top length of the drill on the inside for strength, it can withstand a one story drop right on it's noggin and just chuckle about it. They are so smooth when they run, I pick up my old DeWalt now and it feels like its full of pebbles in comparison.

But back to the issue, (sorry man, I love tools heheh) If you just want something for around the house, all of these drills are over-kill for you, they are meant for daily use by tradesmen, if you don't use it like that, you are wasting money.

One of our guys came to work with a new Ryobi 18v one day and we all made fun of him as we love to do, but man, that thing has lasted a year and a half now and still going strong, and its used hard every day. You may want to consider that, youll save yourself alot of cash.

The other thing to consider is that batteries are expensive and only last 3 to 5 years whether you use them or not. Ryobi batteries will be half the cost. As posted above, the DeWalt and Bosch units go for 80-90bucks a pop.

My boss has a lot of Black and Decker, oops, I mean, DeWalt tools and we are replacing them alot more than we should, but he's not that bright sometimes and keeps buying and replacing them.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps a little, don't be scared of that Ryobi for home use, it has proved good for my buddy, he now has about 8 Ryobi tools. (he's a cheap-skate) :D

it can withstand a one story drop right on it's noggin and just chuckle about it

it sure can, dropped it out my window on the second floor to the pavment. :D

And if you somehow get the battery wet (mine did, flooded basement) just let it dryout real good and you are good to go :P

I'd have to say the 18V Ryobi that I got for christmas a couple years ago was awesome. My brother and I each got one as part of a 5 peice kit each of us got and I wouldn't get anything else. It has some very nice features and has a nice battery life.

I'm sure it isn't the only drill with these features but,

Magnet on base for those pesky screws .

Level on the back and top so you can make sure you're holes and screws are going in straight.

The top level is also detachable so you have a portable level for anything.

24 position Clutch.

18 Volt.

Very well balanced.

No matter what brand you go with though, make sure you get at least an 18V one. It'll have the power you need.

• 2 months later...

Craftsman = Ryobi

Ryobi makes a lot of drills and routers, and a few others for Craftsman, granted the drills are different than the std. Ryobi drills, but the routers are even visually the same except for color.

Craftsman makes the best hand tools...wrenches, screwdrivers and such...I will never buy another craftsman power tool. The ones I have had been junk, motors burn out, parts break, and they are just overall less impressive to me. I will admit that I'm a bit rougher on my tools than a weekend warrior would be, but for me craftsman power tools just don't do the trick.

As pretty much said above...if you just have the money laying around or you are going to use the tools every day, Bosch and Milwaukee are the way to go. For the weekend warrior I would go with the dewault.

• 2 weeks later...

Should just close the thread after clueless posts about something like this...he knows his schtuff.

Then again, clueless won't flinch at buying the best tool, because this is his trade.

I have a Ryobi...never caused me any problems. Does anything I need around here..which is not much. (ok I finished the attic) 14.4...it's fine.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm in the market for a cordless drill.  I'd like to spend roughly 100 dollars.

After 20+ years of using these things pretty heavily, I can distill the sum of my experiences into a few points:

* Given the other suggestions you've gotten, I can't help but put forth the panasonic 15.6v drill. Yes, it's more expensive than you said you budgeted for (~$200; in the range of the Porter Cable and Dewalt 14.4 drills, and less than the DeWalt 18v, but see below). The chuck is the finest I've seen on a handheld drill, and the power leaves the dewalt 18 gasping for breath. The battery charge lasts forever, esp. if you get the version with the 3.6 amp-hour battery. And the thing is both compact and beautifully balanced, a good deal shorter in length than other drills.

Panasonic?? Drill motors?? I was dubious at first, but when the salesman promised me I could bring it back for a full refund after even 3 months if I wasn't happy, I couldn't pass up the trial. I was truly blown away by the performance of this drill.

* No matter what you get, if you shop mail-order (like Amazon), you can usually stumble into a deal where you get free shipping, and maybe even $25 off (if you make a $200 purchase), and maybe another $30 if you sign up for a credit card. I'm not advocating them, just pointing out that if you give it a little time, several good deals may converge.

* The agony of spending a lot on a really good drill motor is amplified by the cost of the replacement batteries. Before you buy anything, find out how much new batteries cost. Often it turns out to be a better deal to buy the whole drill + 2 battery kit. Battery technology is getting better all the time, but they will all still stop holding a charge after a couple years. (Note: there *are* places that do rebuilds at a pretty good price. That's worth checking into). This could be an argument for a cheaper drill, since you could arguably view it as, every few years, buying batteries and getting a drill motor for free, and you may end up spending less in the long run. This is a valid consideration, but in spite of that, I just bought myself a second Panasonic 15.6. (I also have 2 Dewalts, but rarely use them.)

--Bothrops