car advice

lazarus

i looking to spend under 30k closer to 26k on a new car

more specifcally a sporty sedan.

ive narrowed the search down to the acura tsx and the audi a4 1.8t

do any of yall own or have owned one of these?

or heard bad/good things about either?

lemme know, im shopping around for the next 2 weeks.

I was just gonna say that.

Honda motors are practically bullet-proof. You'll get an easy 150K out of 'em.

Unless, of course, you wind it out to 8 grand every time.

Ask MadBean, he knows which cars have more problems than others.

Acuras Are nice cars, owned one 2 cars ago :P Problem there is its a brand new series for the Acuras, and no idea if there is any problems with new technology. I now drive a 6 cyl Jetta, and all I can say is the best car I haev ever owned, nothing beats German engineering, I love the ride and quality of the car. Extremely sound engines, Bullet proof Transmissions ( 6cyl ) the whole drive line is astounding. The down fall is some cars have a few problems with electical systems, (windows acting funny ) etc. As well as the parts will be much more expensive than the Acura.

They both have their good and bad sides.....but in my opinion, the quality, fun, and look of the audi/VW kills the Acura anyday of the week. Japanese can't hold a candle to Germans when it comes to automobiles.

Both cars are very nice. Since I work in the auto repair industry, I can give you a little insight like Duke mentioned.

Each car has there pros and cons.

Like Duke stated, Acura/Honda are extremely reliable. But you can expect both to last a long time as long as you follow the recommend maintenance schedules. Most problems occur when it is not followed by what the manufacturer recommends. Cars are built very well today. Acura and Audi are ones that are close to the top.

I have to disagree with Ghost. Audi's tend to have higher priced parts over Acura. VW/Audi share the same parts just like Acura/Honda.

I would think it would be a matter of preference. Personally, I love the new styling of the Acura's. They really look innovative. I like the styling of the Audi's, but think it is a little dated and wish they would come up with something new.

My suggestion would be to drive both and see which is best for you. Either one you chose will be a joy to own.

Good luck.

I have to disagree with Ghost.  Audi's tend to have higher priced parts over Acura.  VW/Audi share the same parts just like Acura/Honda.

As well as the parts will be much more expensive than the Acura.

What are you disagreeing with me on? Hands down the audi is a better car, BUT it is a turbo, they require more money and more maintenence. I don't know how old you are, or how you drive the car, but that is what is gonna make the difference between the cars.

If you want something you dont have to mess with, get the TSX.

If you are willing to sacarifice longevety/quality a little definately go w/ the A4, its a really cool car.

Also, you should look at the G35 sedan, it would fit your bill. Also look at a loaded new Maxima, it will be in your range too, if...

Last bit of advice...DONT BUY NEW! Why would you? You could find a nice car with <10K mi on it and it will be alot cheaper. For a newer Japanese car, as long as there is some factory warranty left, you will be safe.

How long are you planning on keeping the car?

What are you disagreeing with me on?  Hands down the audi is a better car, BUT it is a turbo, they require more money and more maintenence.  I don't know how old you are, or how you drive the car, but that is what is gonna make the difference between the cars.

The only thing I was disagreeing on was the cost of parts. I work at an auto repair shop, and can compare. Although, they are about the same, Audi tends to be slightly higher. I don't own either, but just basing it on maintenance and repair cost.

well, thanks for all the advice. to answer some of these questions.

this is a graduation present and my parents want to buy it for me.

soooo their stipulations are a new car and drive off <25k (there might be a trade in too)

and it has to be reliable.

ive done some research, and most places (Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, etc)

and they all say that the two cars are very close, but CR did a comparison of low cost luxury sedans and acura can out on top, by alot. but i like the look of the audi a little better, and it seems that the engine on the 1.8t is a little better than the tsx. so im really torn.

i test drove only the acura and i love it, esp if i can get that nav system (and xm comes standard). now i gotta drive down to atlanta and test out the audi.

and i was looking at the toyota tundra, but im not a truck guy....yet. my next car will prolly be a truck tho.

I sold cars for a couple a years and I really keep up with the cars. You have to buy what you want not what other people want. If you go in and look closely at the cars you will be able to make your mind up on which you like most.

If I were in your shoes I would look at the

Acura TSX "Refinement is amazing"

BMW 325i "Amazing Car to drive along with the image of Beemer"

Subaru Legacy GT "New one is bad donkey"

I'm not a fan of VW/Audi

If it were me I would probably buy the BMW but it's because I really like the way that Beemers drive. I've driven all the competitors in these lineups because I'm looking at the same criteria you are and I'm most likely going to be buying a

325xi "xi just means all-wheel Drive.

well, thanks for all the advice. to answer some of these questions.

this is a graduation present and my parents want to buy it for me.

soooo their stipulations are a new car and drive off <25k (there might be a trade in too)

and it has to be reliable.

ive done some research, and most places (Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, etc)

and they all say that the two cars are very close, but CR did a comparison of low cost luxury sedans and acura can out on top, by alot.  but i like the look of the audi a little better, and it seems that the engine on the 1.8t is a little better than the tsx. so im really torn.

i test drove only the acura and i love it, esp if i can get that nav system (and xm comes standard). now i gotta drive down to atlanta and test out the audi.

and i was looking at the toyota tundra, but im not a truck guy....yet. my next car will prolly be a truck tho.

Sorry just missed your last post

Please keep in mind with Pricing that the TSX doesn't offer options. It comes fully equipped as a base model. It comes with VSC and all the various options like moon roof, leather, deluxe stereo etc with the base package.

Ok with the engines.

Honda Engines never use Turbos

Here is the comparison

1.8 Liter Turbo vs 2.4 Liter N/A

The 1.8t offers 170hp and the 2.4 gives you 200 hp.

They both offer 22/31 for gas mileage

The Torque Output on both motors is 166ft lbs but the Audi makes the power sooner because it's not designed to wind out like the Honda is. I prefer the Honda because it's got plenty of power and is capable of provind alot more ummpf in spirited driving.

Quite honestly I think that you would be happy with either of these cars. They are both really nice vehicles. I would check out the 325i before I made my final decision though :)

crusader, i would LOVE to get a bmw,

but my price range is limited and wont be able to afford one.

a new one anyway

hopefully one day i can live my dream and own a m3

but right now ill settle for one of these nice sedans :)

but ill look at that subaru right now

The only thing I was disagreeing on was the cost of parts.  I work at an auto repair shop, and can compare.  Although, they are about the same, Audi tends to be slightly higher.  I don't own either, but just basing it on maintenance and repair cost.

Thats exactly what I wrote......Audi parts are ALOT more than acura parts.....