shut the computer off

shep48

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
just wondering if I should shut it off when i go to bed or work..

Depends... You like a high electric bill?

Do you have a UPS Battery backup? If not, then I say turn it off.

Turning it on and off was always said to be hard on things like the HD.

My computers get shut off for FragFest each year, or during a vacation. That's it. Or when I'm doing something where I turn the electric in the house off, etc.

I turn mine on in the morning and turn it off when I go to bed.

I've got my system overclocked. And I keep it cool with 4 fans in it. So, it sounds a bit like a jet turbine. Hence the reason I shut it down.

Pros and Cons:

Pros of leaving the computer on 24/7:

The high transients that are common among startup (no such transients exist for shutdown) can cause major system damage and run a higher risk of blowing chips on startup...you powersupply (if you have a good one) is designed to limit these high voltage potentials, and ususally the only happen on the order of nanoseconds. Also, the hardware you are running is designed with this in mind and the occurances of a transient blowout is very very slim. Buf if you leave it on then you eliminate that possibility all together.

Cons of Leaving it on 24/7

Prolonged (and I'm mean a long time) charge and discharge of the systems capacitors (power supply, motherboard, VidCard, and especially RAM...each bit has a cap) will case the dieelectric material between the two charged regions will slowly break down causing everything from power factor mismatch, power-to-ground reference faults, and bad memory sectors in RAM. Again, this takes years to happen 2-3 and most people will upgrade older parts long before then. I have personal experience with this, I shut my computer off at night, my roommate had same model and did not...2 years latter mine rans like a champ, his was an incosistent pile.

Also, due to the nature of nanotechnology the traces (wires) inside your microchip are thousanths the size of a human hair and yet they still have to carry close to the same current and voltage potentials as their larger predesesors. When current travels down a wire, over time it can cause silicon drift, which is the same as water flowing through a river at high speeds with sand on the bottom of the river, the sand drifts with the water...particals of silicon will migrate with the current flow and because the traces are so thin, they run a risk of getting too thin to handle the current (think of a fuse with too much juice through it...pop).

This type of failure would be most common in your CPU, Northbridge, Southbridge, and GPU... Again, this takes years to happen, but if you shut the comp off every night, you just effectively doubled its possible lifespan.

Well, I feel smart...for a few seconds anyway.

Either way, there are ads and disads of either option...myself, I turn it off every night and when I'm away for short periods.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

The odds of your computer going out upon startup is minimal these days if not non existant. Now if you own a piece of crap E-machine or Compaq then you best leave it on. I can tell you that their power supplies are the cheapest ever built (along with gateways).

The capacitors on your mobo's are only meant to last 2-3 years at the most. If you leave your systems on all the time, that is about how long it will last in most cases. Turning your system off at night may extend the life of your system.

There are of course exceptions to all of these.