"Dude your getting a Dell!"

chewychee

what a crummy company!

today i just bought my first notebook. a Dell 9300 1.73Ghz pentium M, 1Gig mem, 128 Mgb X300 raidon mobil, 80 Gig HD, 17" wide screen true-life UXGA display 1920x1200.

list $2200 plus tax, found -$750 coupon and free shipping, out the door for $1500.NOT BAD!

i wanted the 2Ghz pentium M, 100 gig HD, and the 256mb 6800 mobil, Nope can't happen, why? because Dell is the worst company ever! i was on the phone for 3 hours being transfered from one automated message to the next. then when i wanted to pay for it they said i couldn't because i didn't have enough "preferred credit!" then wouldn't let me pay half of it, and put the rest on my preferred account. i was gonna spend another $300-$400, but they wouldn't let me, and i have great credit too!

how much money do you think this company looses a year because of this?

one of the sales men told me the M procesors are about double what they say, so th 1.73ghz is more like a 3.4ghz. yeah right, i'm really that stupid!

I've actually never had any problems with Dell. It's too bad that they wouldn't work with you...

I almost bought that same laptop! But I had to use that money to help buy a ring...yes, that kind of ring.

:=

I'm about to have problems with Dell I think....My 6 month old laptop just went kaput yesterday. Wife said she was plugging in the usb mouse and got a shock and then it went down. Won't boot at all. Hit the power button, fan actuates, light comes on, but no booty. I"m assuming its the mobo. Its still under warranty, but like stated above, trying to actually talk to a person is a real pain in the donkey.

Oh yeah, my wife and I both have credit scores around 900 and Dell wouldn't give me a preferred account either. I was only lookin for a grand too. Bah.

laptops :boo: , mine went back for service 3 times, parts break and you cant replace, good thing for ext warranty, 3 year warranty that they failed to mention was actually mfg 1st year- private company 1st and 2nd year, so really only 2year warranty

A FICO score around 900? How'd you manage that? :unsure:

Anyway, that's weird that y'all have had such problems with Dell. For personal favors I call Dell on the phone and get the operator to work with me, and I never have problems. For other orders, work, etc. I use the web site and that is always easy and painless. I even have a Dell laptop that died a few days into its ownership, I think it overheated (stupid thing runs VERY hot) and I didn't spend more than an hour on the phone until I convinced them it needed service. I had a service tech come to me two days later and they replaced the mobo, RAM and video card all free of charge.

I've never had a problem with Dell service, except with one of their older Windows Volume Licensing schemes, though I would say Microsoft is at least as much to blame in that ordeal as Dell. That really upsets me to hear all this, because I'd be in less good conscious recommending them to others.

A FICO score around 900?  How'd you manage that? :unsure:

When we bought our house a year and a half ago my wife's score was 890 and mine way 870. I'm saying this by memory, but I'm pretty sure that's what they were.

Why do you ask how we managed it? From my understanding a 900 is a very good score, and extremely hard to receive, but you can receive it. I guess we just have lots of credit and pay our bills on time.

***Edit....hmm, did some research, looks like the FICOs are usually between 300 and 850, thus your point. I'm going to have to look at our home loan paper work and see if my memory is that bad.

As far as customer service goes, I was eluding to the fact that I get to call Dell and deal with their customer service, not that I had had any trouble with them. Any time something doesn't work correctly and you have to have call tech people who assume you are an idiot its always a pain in the donkey. I am assuming it will be the same here. I will post accordingly if it turns out different.

I usually inundate the first tier TS guy with everything I have done. Typical call goes like this. "Hi, I am a System Admin and have extensive experience troubleshooting and diagnosing system issues. No, don't speak yet. I have tried this, this, this, replaced this, etc (replace "this" etc, with basic troubleshooting things) and have determined it's a bad hard drive. Please send me a new one." Typically, they will either have me try one more thing or just stammer there a bit and tell me they will set up an RMA for me.

Hehe, no need to BGB, just being a jackleg because I can. The FICO score is actually a very arcane number, and each of the major three credit organizations do things differently, though I have a sneaking suspicion that each uses some sort of bird entrail divination technique in part. It's entirely possible any of them actually have scores that go that high.

It's also possible that the mortgage company uses a different scale, because usually big-ticket credits (like mortgages) will check all three reports, combine them and make up their own credit composite. My experience is they average the three, but nothing's stopping them from doing things their way.

But again, bird entrail divination. It's all arcane. And anything to be a jackleg when I'm trolling...No, wait, I actually had something to say this time!

Dweez, I like your approach...That's pretty much how my "system" works, inundate them with my troubleshooting and tell them what they want to hear if they humbly put forth further troubleshooting steps. Very quickly get off the first tier that way. Also handy for getting out of the India call center if you can't understand what they're saying, though I read rumors that Dell may be bringing the call centers back to the U.S...

Hmm...well, I haven't done any hardware troubleshooting because I was afraid I would void the warranty... So, I called from work today thinking they would run me through some BS troubleshooting and the girl asks if I have a screw driver and says we are going to pull out the HD, RAM, and ethernet cards. I was at work and of course didnt' have the proper tools so now I have to call them back when I get home to continue. :bang::bang:

I figure I'll go ahead and do all of that though before I call them back since they are going to tell me to do it anyway. I know hardware for desktops really well, at least as far as installing and what not. I mean lets be serious, plugging the stuff in isn't that difficult. I figure I can find my way around a laptop fine, just don't want them to come back and say..."uh, you've been in here, you tore it up, we aren't givin you jack."

Of course their response would be much more PC than that. :freak:

K, just finished talking with the Dell Tech. Only took 30 min. Probably would have taken less if I had told him the diagnostics I had already run, but since I"m not that familiar with laptops I let him go ahead and run me through their process. Basically took a few parts out to see if the comp would post, wouldn't post. So, he ordered me a new processor and motherboard that is supposed to be here in less than a week. I must admit, I am more than impressed with their customer service and warranty stuff.

I"m really surprised that you had problems with Dell. I've been buying computers from them since 98. I've gotten 3 for myself and parents plus help get comps for neighbors and more. I've actually lost track of how many computers I've setup for people through Dell.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with buying computers from them!

I've had to call their tech support a few times over the years and almost always was talking to a live tech. in less than 5 minutes. I have never had this fast of service from ANY other company for ANYTHING! Their tech support has always been fast and friendly in helping me solve the problem I called them about.

I'm just really stunned you had all this trouble!