Router question

linch

Right now I have a Linksys 4 port router. I will be getting a wireless router soon, and will really only use this for my laptop. Any idea if I will have a lot of problems plugging a wireless router into my main router?

Right now I have a Linksys 4 port router.  I will be getting a wireless router soon, and will really only use this for my laptop.  Any idea if I will have a lot of problems plugging a wireless router into my main router?

I tried that once when I got my new wireless router for the laptop, for some reason I couldnt get it to work. I think my main router was going bad. Anyway, I turned DHCP off on one of the routers, I know it cant be good to have two routers assing your IPs

NoFX is exactly right, the two DHCPs can cause some major problems. The issue is, with a wireless router, the wireless units are assigned IPs by the router regardless of DHCP (at least in my experience with SOHO routers). So, one recommendation which works with many router combinations is to make sure the IP networks are different (ie, x.x.0.y for the one router and x.x.1.y for the other). If the third octet matches on both routers, NAT has a hard time getting past that. There are some other tricks if you are using a wired network (you can bypass the router entirely if you just use the switch) but that wireless, in my experience, ALWAYS passes through the router -- it's a different transport mechanism, so it has to be brought in.

However, I want to ask the stupid question: Why can't you just put the wireless one in for the wired one? All the new wireless routers I've seen have four port switches in them as well. One router solutions are always best.

as far as i'm concerned there should only be one option buying a new router today. d-link dgl-4300. wifi g and gigabit lan. not to mention gamefuel. i never feel lag anymore even with bittorrent going full throttle my ping is still 30-60. no spikes. no loss. only serious gaming while seriously downloading.

why use two routers anyway? why not just buy a new one? if you disable dhcp you can just use the old router as a hub. that's what i do. i have about 3 old routers daisychained as hubs. only time i bring out my big 16 port is for lans.

If one of your routers has the ability to function as just a gateway (Linksys routers have this option) then you can do that and just make one a dummy hub. Otherwise, you will have issues.

I had a wired router and bought a wireless router to add to it. I made the wireless router a different subnet then the wired so I didn't have the DHCP conflict and I was able to get devices on the wireless router on the internet. My problem though was that I could not get the devices on either router to communicate with each other (between the routers). My next setup eliminated the wired router (since my wireless was an AP and a 4 port router).

GC Alumni
(edited)
I tried that once when I got my new wireless router for the laptop, for some reason I couldnt get it to work.  I think my main router was going bad. 

I'll bet money that both your routers were set to have the same "host" IP for themselves to all the computers that connect into them.

For example linksys and netgear routers are accessed by the IP 192.168.1.1 (I believe that's the default, I changed my as I"ll explain below). So if you change your settings you go to that IP.

Both Linksys and Netgear (and I assume all others) have the ability to change this address, I used 192.168.0.1 for one of my routers. If you have them both set to diff they work just fine. I did this when I added a wireless to my home network. The non-wireless is connected to the DSL Modem, then the Wireless connects into this router. Each has a different "host" IP address. Until I did this I couldn't get the 2nd router to connect properly. I have DHCP enabled on both of them.

Edited by Ice_Berge_00

You won't get filesharing to work right between the two if you have multiple computers on both routers funcitoning as routers. Like it's been said, with the right hardware you can daisychain them as hubs but you'll have issues if the wireless isn't the primary. I'd have to agree and reaffirm that a single wireless router would be the best / easiest bet.