Guild Wars

ANTIMATTER

Anarchy Online is a Free YEAR trial of the game. It is very in depth, and has alot of personal touches that can be made. It is definately worth the look, i am loving it so far.

(edited)

Anti! .. i bought this and am playing heavily ^^ drop me a line and we'll do some playing.

Definitely an amazing title.. anyone far enough to get into the snow atmosphere? *VERY* good looking game. Some of the areas in the later stages of the game are really a sight to see.

*edit* oh, and strangefamous, i felt exactly the same as you when i played the beta, but the game has changed tremendously. It actually has a plot, deeper character development. Actually.. while im on the subject, ill explain the idea of the game.. so maybe some more GC's can get into it.

I've played many MMORPGs, I honestly just quit wow.. it was dull.. boring, I play CSS whenever i have the time.. honestly :) Guild wars is probably one of the most unique games you'll ever play, its an Mmorpg, but it plays more like Diablo.. or .. even counter-strike. in WoW, you kinda struggle to reach level 60, get the most decked out loot you can, then pvp a bit, and thats about it.. 60 is 'endgame' .. in guild wars, there are only 20 levels, and you can get there very quickly, the premise of the game is that leveling up isn't important, its the skill of the player, much like counter-strike. levels mean something, but not too much .. its team-based tactical RPG combat, at its finest.. at times it reminds me of counter-strike.. the game makes the claim that 'level 20' isnt the END, but only the beginning, and it certainly already seems that way to me.

Team-deathmatch, capture the flag, and other games are readily available to play.. there are about 800 skills in the entire game, and you only get 8.. ever. just 8. that means every character will be totally different with his techniques, and you have to choose those 8 to balance out your character with the rest. (you may also freely swap the skills you've learned at any time, which is great) I was tired of grinding my way through wow.. and having the same build and LOOKING the same as everyone else.. Guild wars is more then i could ask for.. its very fast-paced, exciting, and completely 100% focused on straight up pvp combat.

Its.. less of an MMORPG.. (less grind, no monthly fee's, more pvp/clan/guild-focus) and More of an RPG Action game (great combat, balanced skill system, generic fun) If your big into grinding your way to the top and getting the gear that gives you a huge advantage over other players, or hunting the rare drops, then guild wars is probably not for you, it presents itself more as an action game.. like counterstrike, with levels as the medium to change your character from the rest, instead of gaining power. Hopefully i can inspire a few of you to try it :P

Edited by k-wix

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

as matt said, i've been playing it too.

being an experienced mmorpg player, let me list what i'ved played (bragging rights, maybe..):

the realm (god thats old)

ultima online (including the 3d expansion)

everquest (up to 5th expansion)

anarchy online

shadowbane

asheron's call

asheron's call 2

dark age of camelot

planetside

final fantasy xi

city of heroes

world of warcraft

everquest 2

thats kind of sad.

there's probably some others i'm forgetting, but this has been one of the most enjoyable ones, not only because it's free per month. world of warcraft was nice because it was based on a world i was already familiar with, but guild wars is a lot different from anything else i've ever played. as pc gamer says, "the mmorpg for people who love mmorpgs and those who dont" although the company that makes guild wars says its not based on hours played but instead player skill, you still have to put some time into it, as you do with all other mmorpgs. the fact that its really easy to get to the highest level (so far) makes it a lot more gratifying than other mmorpgs where the highest level is around 60. i recommend it.

Edited by emily

as matt said, i've been playing it too.

being an experienced mmorpg player, let me list what i'ved played (bragging rights, maybe..):

the realm (god thats old)

ultima online (including the 3d expansion)

everquest (up to 5th expansion)

anarchy online

shadowbane

asheron's call

asheron's call 2

dark age of camelot

planetside

final fantasy xi

city of heroes

world of warcraft

everquest 2

thats kind of sad.

there's probably some others i'm forgetting, but this has been one of the most enjoyable ones, not only because it's free per month.  world of warcraft was nice because it was based on a world i was already familiar with, but guild wars is a lot different from anything else i've ever played.  as pc gamer says, "the mmorpg for people who love mmorpgs and those who dont"  although the company that makes guild wars says its not based on hours played but instead player skill, you still have to put some time into it, as you do with all other mmorpgs.  the fact that its really easy to get to the highest level (so far) makes it a lot more gratifying than other mmorpgs where the highest level is around 60. i recommend it.

you're a newb

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Shh - don't tell the UT folks, but I just bought this game yesterday to play with my new rig (that arrives on Thursday). Any tips for someone just starting? Should I play the single player to get used to things, or just jump into online play? If it's the latter, can we start a thread with people's handles so we can meet up?

/Edit: thread created. Post your Guild Wars handles here!

Edited by Unclean