Best Browser to use.

Shazz

I use the Yahoo browser. I bought that yahoo Plus package and a browser came with it.

I think it is just a windows explorer cover...I don't know.

But I have been hearing alot about mozzila. I am always afraid of downloading stuff and putting on my computer because of how a browser inter twiens (murdered that word I think) on it.

So what is the best browser to use? I am not that crazy about windows explorer.

Lead me...and I will follow

Yes, Firefox is the best. I was able to convince one of our IT guys at work to install it on my work laptop (we are seriously restricted on what we can do on them). He loves it too - says he uses it at home like I do.

:thumbsup:

www.getfirefox.com

I agree, Firefox is a really good browser. It's main advantage over IE is, ironically, the absence of the very thing that drove IE to a dominant market share in years past: the relative lack of the use of OS API "hooks". IE is designed to be part of the OS...Firefox is not. Unfortunately, with all the garbageware out there, IE gives them much more access to the underpinnings of the OS than Firefox does. Now, if you use proper user controls and set all of your file permissions just so, and you run virus protection, spyware protection and other system-monitoring utilities (not a bad idea anyway, at least the first two) then IE poses no real problem over Firefox...However, that's a real pain, two of the main reasons being (1) you have to operate your computer in a "locked-down" mode most of the time, very inconvenient, and (2) that takes a lot of time and energy to make sure everything is "just-so".

The other advantage, of course: Since Firefox isn't designed to be an integral part of the OS, it won't interfere with IE. You can still use it if you need to...though again, I really like Firefox.

Once you find out you can browse with tabs, you'll never go back, imho.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

On any given day, IE has 20 or more unpatched critical vulnerabilities in it. Firefox has any vulnerabilities patched within days where Microsoft can take months to fix them.

Regardless of what you put on your computer for protection, nothing is 100% at keeping off viruses and spyware (Unless you do not get on the internet and do not put any cd's or dvd's in your computer)

Many of the vulnerabilities in IE have hack code already available which many spyware vendors are using. Use IE to do windows update and do housecall.antivirus.com scans. Use Firefox for everything else.

What sold me, and the reason I've been using it for years isn't just the lack of spyware/popups (very, very good reason in and of itself) -

I had installed FireFox and given myself a week to check it out. Two days after I installed it, I went over to my friend's house. He had a bunch of IE windows open... ...37, to be exact. I needed to do some surfing, so I opened another couple of IE windows. Of course, when I minimized those two, I had to dig through the 39 windows listed in the toolbar popup. Not cool. I went home that night, sat down, opened a couple of tabs and never looked back.

The RAM footprint is also lower than that of IE. So it's more efficient and takes up fewer resources. Sold. If there's still a website out there that doesn't support FireFox, all you need to do is download the IE plug-in. It'll give you the option to open the same link in IE, when you right click the page.

I used to use the original Mozilla Browser. It also has the tabbed browsing. In the last month or so I've switched over to Firefox. I like the simplicity of it. :thumbsup:

I have been reading what reviews I can find of it.

One negative I find with Mozilla is the Download function, and the ability to view online videos.

What should you do then? Or do people just want to nit pick about it. Is the download manager better then what people say?

I have been reading what reviews I can find of it.

One negative I find with Mozilla is the Download function, and the ability to view online videos.

What should you do then?  Or do people just want to nit pick about it.  Is the download manager better then what people say?

The download function- Not sure what you mean there. I download things just fine. Granted it looks like you can only download to your desktop or your My Documents folder. Haven't really looked into it that far yet.

As far as online videos, I think it's compatable with Real Player, Quicktime, Flashplayer and all others. Flashplayer you have to install the plugin for it. Which they have a section on their website for all the plugins, so that you can download them. :peace:

Ok, I just looked in the options menu. There is a button you can click on so when you download something it will ask you where you want to save the download.

Nice!! Thanks fellas. Looks like a "Got to have" download! You know you have got a good browser when 100% of you say Firefox.

I only download stuff to the My Documents folder anyway. It is easy to run a virus scan on whatever I download if I put it there. So the download stuff looks good.

K...just one more question. I have seen where you can download plug ins. What are the plug ins that are a " Must Have"?

(edited)

I have all of the media plug-ins, the java plug-in, and the acrobat plug-in.

Extensions: I have Adblock, Tabbrowser Preferences, Forecast Fox, Autocopy, PDF Download, Download Manager Tweak, and ChatZilla. If there is an enhanced download extension I might have that one at home, too (can't remember if there is one.). I just found a SteamPowered Forums plug-in too - haven't tried it yet though...

I haven't been able to look at the plug-in/extension page because I haven't updated to the latest version of Firefox at work (stupid jerko admin). I'd be able to give you a better answer from home...

Edited by whudats

To address the negatives, I haven't found a way to set a custom download directory on a case-by-case basis, but like Lunk said it's easy to chage the default directory. I never saw that as a problem, but it can be a bit inconvenient if you like to save stuff in different directories, I guess. I think it's a bit above nit-picky, close to a valid concern, but a very minor one at that. Never bothered me.

I also posted this in another thread, I've never had a problem viewing videos, but I don't really watch videos that much. I think it works with streaming .wmvs iirc, though again I don't really watch video on my computer.

As far as plugins...I don't run any besides the format interpreters (shockwave, etc.), personally, though I know there are some good ones. I like it as simple as it is.

The only real plug-in that I can mention on top of the ones I've seen mentioned so far, is the IEView plug-in. It's not a necessity, but it is really handy for those times when the page isn't FireFox friendly. Just right-click and choose "View this page in IE", and that's what it does. It saves you from having to open IE, wait for it to load, and then either cut/paste the URL from browser to browser, or go to the main site, and browse around until you find what you were looking at, again.

Handy for the 01% of the time that has been mentioned before.

you havent found a way to set your download directory?!?! come one people use your heads!!! go to tools>Options and then click on the big Downloads button!

Is there anyway to increase the distance the page scrolls up/down when using the wheel on your mouse? If so, how? I'm starting to get a poorly finger from having to turn the wheel so many times to scroll down the page  :boo:

Go to your mouse settings and adjust scroll length from 3 lines to whatever you want it set at.