Server Decisions Must Be Made

Fatty

Ok, let's bring everything to one table here. We need to make some decisions, so I'll try to summarize for you so we can get on one page.

This discussion includes both CSS and UT2k4.

There have been growing complaints of increased pings and choke over the last few months. In the last month, the choke issues, most notable on #1, our main CSS server, have increased dramatically.

We have 13 days until our server renewal date. If we are to move any/all of the server, we need some layover time to advertise the change both in the servers and on the website.

Current public servers:

69.12.89.6:27015 GAMERSCOALITION.COM #1 Midwest FF

69.12.89.96:27015 GAMERSCOALITION.COM #2 Midwest FF - Scopeless

69.12.39.15:27015 GAMERSCOALITION.COM #3 West FF

69.12.89.191:7777:7787 /-=GC=-/ >> Nepenthe << STD/ALT ONS - gamerscoalition.com

In an effort to do some comparing, I have rented a server from funservers for a period of 1 month:

64.34.119.18:27016 GAMERSCOALITION.COM #1.5 Midwest FF

As far as UT2k4 goes, as soon as Flitter gives me the word, I will rent a UT2k4 server from funservers for testing. While I'm not overly impressed with the staff members of funservers in irc, I am, however, very impressed with their web interface, automation, use of linux, and their prices. In fact, with the prices, we could expand to another server, perhaps in Dallas or Atlanta.

At this time, funservers doesn't offer anything in the west. If there were to be a change for #3, we'd have to seek another gsp.

So far, the general consensus of 1 vs. 1.5 have been dramatic reduction of choke in game. There has been public traffic as well as the ability to hold a fine game when tossed into our redirection cycle (which currently sits at 1 > 1.5 > 2 > 3 > 1).

Like I mentioned above, much of the complaints have been about server #1.

Do we see the same choke on #2? How about #3? Are there issues there? We don't have to move everything at once, but again, we can't just run an extra server. We need to make the decision. Server #1 is just not cutting it, even after a reinstall, even when running completely stock and naked.

We could try a reinstall on #2 as well to see if that has any effect.

I don't believe it's the network. I believe it's a combination of the power of the servers and the OS that XGS is using (Windows has always been declared inferior when it comes to gaming servers).

You input is highly valued and necessary.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RG just moved their servers to a new datacenter and upstream pipe. Give it at least a couple of days to shake out, then tell me how their pings/choke are. I think this only applies to one of the UT servers though--Fatty confirm?

I've noticed extremely bad loss and choke on scopeless the past month. There was a weird thing that happened to my game when #1 was reinstalled. I set up the default rates and my game started getting very shakey. I was fine with loss and choke, both at 0, but it felt like i had 500 latency, when it was only showing 80.

I don't know if #2 being reinstalled would be a good idea or not, but you said funservers #1.5 is doing well, so maybe it would be a good idea to switch over to them.

If we are making a change lets buy the cadilac, how bout a server with a 100 tickrate?? for info only .... funserver is advertising 66 tickrate. If I look in the rules colum of hlsw in scopless it says mani_tickrate 33 .

I can't personally comment on the server problems (because I haven't seen them, just heard about them from mtn_dew, shadow, and others). However, if you're thinking about getting us another UT server, I could go to the UT community and ask what they'd want to see in a server and relay it back to you. It's a possible way to get more inbound traffic. Food for thought...

GC Founder
If we are making a change lets buy the cadilac, how bout a server with a 100 tickrate??    for info only ....  funserver is advertising 66 tickrate.  If I look in the rules colum of hlsw in scopless it says  mani_tickrate 33 .

Our budget would not allow for 4 cadillacs.

The people at funservers are working on boosting for source, however. They will be a little more expensive....they're working on http://www.funservers2.com

GC Founder

I just asked him on irc....we should wait and see what they do with source. Sounds like it will be up there with the tickrate.

If there are no crazy problems right now on #2, then we should sit on it and see how this plays out. Moving one server from XGS will get some serious attention on that side. Moving two (if we move UT as well) will really get some conversation going if he wants to save our business.

GC Founder

Aight, well, looks like funservers are full in chicago anyways atm. Lemme look at that link.

*edit: griffen run. That's caddy style..have you looked at the prices? I guess you may not even know what we're paying XGS so you have no ability to compare.

Believe me, I'd love to just go back to something like GameDaemons. Right now our budget with XGS is nearly $500 / month. To do the same package with GD basically (the 4 public servers) we'd be looking at $970 / month.

I'm all about going with the best, but money drives it....and drives it. Heck, I'd toss in $200 / year to have the best servers, but that's me.

GC Founder

I'm going to reopen communication with the aim2game gsp that M2 has dealt with.

They offer "boosted" CSS servers at 5.50 / slot. This is doable, but they don't offer UT. Going to contact them and ask them what "boosted" means by definition.

Wow

I would never go griffin run. The prices are way to high. I got my private 12 man for like $65 or so for 3 months while GR wants 180 for a private 12 man for 3 months. Ive rented servers off Gamedaemons, Recongamer, and a cheesy one in chicago. Forget the name. But just to let you know I think Recongamer is the best company to go with at least for me. For one they have very simple web based interface to stop,start,and restart your game server and manage your files with ftp support. They are cheaper than most and prolly have the cheapest private servers out there. But dont let the cheap prices fool ya they are very professional and I have had lots of success with them in the past. The only down thing to recongamer is they dont have chicago servers.You have to either go with texas or virginia. So I got a private 12 man in texas with a 66 tic rate and it seems to run fine. Even Gamedaemons back a few years ago didnt have all their web based tools working correctly. Just from buying from 3 different companies showed me how nice RG servers are and their service and the price.

But do ya want to move to Texas??????????

Seems like with the current buget, either settle for ok servers or get good ones but that would require either more money or dropping one of the servers and which one is expendable? Tough questions to ask.

GC Founder
Seems like with the current buget, either settle for ok servers or get good ones but that would require either more money or dropping one of the servers and which one is expendable? Tough questions to ask.

I'm willing to push our budget a little over the limit because I believe that we still have some growth in us. Taking some risk has proven worth it time and time again. Better servers = happy clients and members, which equals higher retention and more new members = increased budget.

That's true Sted you have rented from quite the variety of providers. I think that cheesy pub was called deadly servers. lol I remember what a hassle those guys were to deal with.

GC Founder

I think in all our time, we've probably dealt with 5 or 7 total providers. None of the servers we've had could compare to GD. The money is not wasted there, it's just damn expensive.

That's true fatty, I think a little extra money for the better performance would win in the long run. Plus with recon like sted is talking about. We could get one in virgina as well to help better please all us eastcoasters and you will still have the texas for west/midwest. Def something to look into.

I got to run to the store, I'll check back on this disscusion when I get back.

I can't claim to be an expert specifically in gaming servers but I've worked in IT for 13 years, part of that time as a network admin, so I can grasp the concepts fairly well. I'm purely a #3/West player and mostly only have to time to play on the weekends.

So I guess I'm speaking from the member perspective here in saying I'd like to see GC remain a place where I can maintain a rock solid connection with low latency and as little choke as possible. As I understand it today, and I may be wrong, my $50 membership was one time, but I'd gladly pay that year over year to hold reserved spots on quality servers. Heck, I'd easily pay $10 a month for such a service as long as I could kick a few annoying fools off our servers from time to time that are ruining the game.

So if quality is a matter of money, I'd ask the GC Board to make the determination of what that quality costs and present it to us rank and file members to see if we can help bring the funding up to the level needed to maintain that quality. I'd also like to hear an opinion on this from other rank and file members as well.

{Q}

GC Founder

Q, your $50 is yearly. If John lied to you, I'll bill him next year on your behalf. :D

That said, every needs to be assured dues will NOT go up. We should be able to get it done, and done well.