Server Decisions Must Be Made

Fatty

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GC Founder
Heck, I'd easily pay $10 a month for such a service as long as I could kick a few annoying fools off our servers from time to time that are ruining the game. {Q}

Apply for admin. Admin is less than $10 / month and the west needs more admins.

As for the UT side of things:

1) Nepenthe.

Was utterly fantastic for the longest time - then, who knows if this has anything at all to do with it - once we had that Chciago fire a month or two back - since that point - packet loss has been getting worse and worse - the hardware itself is fine but with the network issues - yeah...

2) Griffen Run:

Lots of UT folks swear by Griffen Run - and they pay for that pleasure - boy do they ever.

3) Should we give funservers a fly?

Willing to see what they can swing though they really do not do UT at all (out of thier 250+ servers - roughly 98% are all CS-S - there is one UT (non-ONS) server.

4) ReconGamer:

I knew they were up to something but didn't know it was that.

It would be so nice if they swung Chicago...

I'll take a look at Scathefire (UT DM serer we have running at Recon) and see if pings have improved at all

5) There is a Chicago joint that deals exclusively with UT - very familiar with - not the cheapest - but ain't no Griffin Run either - pings and hops are unbeleiveable - I *will* kick in some dime to get these folks locked up for us if it comes to that.

So - summation:

Nepenthe hardware is great, network seems a bit....hmmmm

Willing to give funservers a fly though I doubt they are prepared for the brutality that is about to be inflicted upon them by the CPU beast known as UT2K4-ONS

If funservers = teh suckage for ONS, I got us covered (and with that cover comes the peace of mind in knowing that thier will be no more problems from that point on)

I'll fire up the AIM so as teh fatty can vocalize in my general direction.

-Fk

I'll keep this short as in a little out of my league but there is an enormous market for game servers in Toronto, and at Canadian prices. BB games servers I have no idea what these guys compare to, just throwing it out there. I also have a close friend who owns a boat load of servers in Toronto and NewYork and I'll ask him for recomendations.

If any of this is just not viable, don't worry about answering...I hate wasting people's time!

GC Founder

My dad always said: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

The guys at funservers in their IRC are shakey at best, talking of pot and beer, trying to get out of bed, can't directly answer questions, etc. I just don't feel comfortable with that as the backbone of our servers. When I checked the FPS of #1.5 in rcon, it was only 175 or so, compared to 256 server FPS reported from #1. At this time, with rates SO cheap, they are full in chicago. Just seems too risky for a marathon that we are to run. My discernment tells me it wouldn't last long.

Thus the big difference with a2g. I want to deal with quality people AND quality game servers.

As far as Griffin Run goes, it looks to me like shep and fatty might not be noticing the 6-month free thing. I priced a 26-man pub for Chicago. For 6 months it's $1153 and for 12 months it's also $1153, so this tells me the real permanent price is roughly $200/month and the 12 month quotes you've been looking at are basically half off. Granted a free 6 months is not trivial, but it looks to me like a one-time savings.

--mookie

Thus the big difference with a2g.  I want to deal with quality people AND quality game servers.

Honestly, with the way GC is growing there is no reason why we cant go with a better company. Sure it will cost extra money, but once the people who were consider signing up for GC see the improvement, it might just turn their heads enough to sign up. I've got a feeling that with the switch over GC will see a major increase in 2 months. Players will realize the lack of choke / loss has been fixed which in turn will cause the whining and moaning (not only from non GC members but GC members) to decrease, which will then increase the enjoyablity factor of the servers which will increase membership!

As for the company who talk about drugs / beer, that should never be taken into effect. If someone is capable of running a server (on in their case their own company), who is to say what they can and cant do in their spare time.

And that's my story.

-= THE END =-

:D

(edited)

These fellas have a Chicago server...I was pinging a 10 to the Chicago location. And pings to 30 to the Dallas server.

http://www.clanservers.com/index.php?ref=1581324

Might be pricey though...looks like your cadillac type servers.

Edit: have you noticed above the google search the Ad's are popping up Counter Strike Source gaming servers...LOL. has anyone checked these ad's? might put a little cashola in the GC's pockets... :)

Edited by §hažžž

GC Founder
As for the company who talk about drugs / beer, that should never be taken into effect.

I would beg to differ. If I'm spending your money, I don't really want to send it to a guy who talks about having trouble getting out of bed, etc, openly on their public channel. I take it into account after spending a couple days in their irc. It wasn't some snap decision based on one random comment, trust me.

I would beg to differ.  If I'm spending your money, I don't really want to send it to a guy who talks about having trouble getting out of bed, etc, openly on their public channel.  I take it into account after spending a couple days in their irc.  It wasn't some snap decision based on one random comment, trust me.

Dooley noted.

GC Founder

I sent clanservers a request to have a test server set up for us. Anyone that seriously wants 3 CSS servers from us will grant this. We'll see.

Headed to swim with the kids. I'll be back later.

(edited)

I just left clanservers. I was running a 18 ping with 13 to 14 players. This is what is really nice, and NO JOKE..... in a gunfight I had 0 loss and my choke went to 3!! That was it...3.

The start of every round... 0 loss 0 choke. Unreal!!!!

I asked the admins that were there if they were pleased. All of them responded Yes! I asked about tech support...Yes!!

I would give them a test. Bushmaster was in there with me. lol Sorry about that headshot bush 8P)

Edit: ip 8.9.3.247:27015

Edit2: shep is in there at the moment. this is a 100 tickrate server. this clan server only has 16 slots. Give it a test run fellas. :) you will like it.

Edited by §hažžž

8.9.3.247 has people in it playing.  Check it out.

Their servers are by no means pricey.

yea i was playin in it for a cpl maps, awesome server. no loss and no choke at all.

i was talkin with one of the admins in there and he said that they have never had problems with thier servers and they always run smooth for them. idk, its a good server for sure though.

Just to answer the question about choke/loss on server #3:

I ping a little lower there (since I am in Utah) and choke is steady at 0-5. It's been the same since it was set up a while ago.

Wish I knew enough about servers to give some useful imput here beyond this but I don't so keep up the good work guys!

(edited)
jsut posting up on something I didnt see: Are you all aware that this server ( clanserver/ Shazz's IP, darksyndicate) is a 100 tick server ?

does this mean i should try a certain setting to optimize my connection?

Edit: Ah I see...thanks flitter

Edited by anonymo

100 tick server = server is running the game at 100 frames per second.

Which doesn't even remotely suck

If we on the UT side were to run an ONS server at that tick rate, long dead gods would awaken from eons of slumber to ask us "Can we play?"

Which is to say ain't no hardware around that can do 100 tick for ONS

We're lucky to get 25

-Fk