Server Decisions Must Be Made

Fatty

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm really not having a problem with any of the servers! 1, 1.5, and scopeless all are giving me a choke of between 0-10 at any given time. i get the best ping on stock 1(29-39) and the worst ping on scopeless(32-56) 1.5 seem like a mid point for me right now!! (i really haven't played on stock 1 in a while)

so what ever happens is cool with me. i trust fatty will do whats best for us!!! and if you need a little more from me i can probably contribute more to get everything up and running!!!!

Just came from Scopeless after a couple of hours. Pings have gone down, saw no loss and maybe 2 or 3 choke in firefights. Whatever changes have been made, things are much better, at least for now.

My experience with all the servers.

Xgs Stock

#1 Ping: 75-90

Loss: 1-3

Choke: 10-35

Xgs scopeless

#2 Ping: 75-90

Loss: 0-1

Choke: 5-20

Funservers

#1b Ping: 50-60

Loss: 0-0

Choke: 0-15

Aim2game Stock

#1C Ping: 45-55

Loss: 0

Choke: 0-5

Winner Aim2game!!! I have always been impressed with our private server from them and there public just impresses me more.

GC Founder

Ok, I'm so back and forth on this, it's really going to come down to large scale decision out here and then a final stamping by the board.

Forget about the personal parts with XGS, or the past, or whatever. If we part with them, I'm going to send him a thank you gift for his efforts at fragfest, because I do indeed feel bad that this is potentially happening so soon after that. Heck, we're on his front page.

That said, this decision must be made with 1 thing in mind: server performance. Barry's adjustments (dunno if it was just rates, doesn't matter) has really made it a tough one, because 1 and 2 have rebounded in performance when compared to themselves and the past couple months.

Let me lay things out (minus any drama that should NOT be considered) for you as specific as I can:

Pros of moving:

-3 servers would cost us $13 less / month

-Tickrates of 100 have an obvious impact on bullet registration and gameplay

-Linux OS is superior

-Change of owners (only affecting me)

Cons of Moving

-Changing of IPs (although this is easily handled)

Now, beyond that, the feedback about the servers can only come from you guys.

Sam at a2g said "tell them to enjoy it" when I asked if we could continue with the test server for a while.

Other Unbiased Changes this month:

-UT is moving no matter what. We've got a great thing going there with viper.

-Dropping the private server. With the addition of NY, we can't turn inward. Also, it's just unused.

------

I'd like to have this decided by Thursday.

You are free to post your own pros and cons here, as well as your reactions. Please put the specs of your server experiences in the other thread called Test 3 and Report.

Thanks for being a part of this decision with us. Obviously, no matter what we decide, things are now better than before.

The past 24 hours have really turned things upside down. Let's see what type of contructive feedback I can give.

-(positive) We've been with XGS for a while and they've been working with us constantly to make sure we have what we ask for.

-(positive) We have roots and a dedicated sponsor for FFO's.

-(positive) Server problems dissolved after a few weeks of tests and fixes. Plays like any other quality server.

-(positive) We dont lose any money by staying here.

-(positive) Have we needed the tickrate in the past?

-(negetive) If we moved we'd have to advertise 3 new IP's for server.

-(negetive) XGS runs at stock tickrate.

-(negetive) If we dont switch we pay the same as we pay now.

Alot of that is repeates...or reiterations. My slant on it. Saving money and getting more (tickrates) would be a benifit. Bailing on XGS even tho they fixed the problem may leave a bad taste in their mouths even if said gift for sponsorship is given.

I know this is not a buisness but...I've got an example. The company I work for makes electronics (given). We have contract manufacturers that produce certain products we need and we've agreed that we'd only go through them to get those certain parts even tho we may be able to get a sweater deal somewhere else. This create trust and dedication...a bond between our two companies that also shows other that we stick to our policies. They've even been able to go out on a limb more often for us and do things for us other companies wouldn't do without boo-coo bucks.

Another example...job outsourcing. Moving whole companies outside the US cause the overseas workers will work for chicken feed so the company can benifit.

Both work fine, one just costs more.

Plainly...our servers are no longer broke. And if it aint broke, dont fix it.

My 2 Cents.

Edited by Brillow_Head

(edited)

I agree with u brill, but alot of what u say contains the feeling portion of this decision. Based soley on black and white figure comparison, there is no decision. If this is a business deal, then you have to go with the better product. I played all day yesterday (literaly) on all the servers. 1c is the best period. Its has the smoothest feel and way better bullet registration. Watch the straight green line of ping in hlsw compared to scopeless rollercoaster. If 33 tics was enuff why do they have 66 and 100 tic? Please dont take these comments as a attack because you know Im not like that. I could never break up with any of my girlfriends so this is on u lol...... :wiggle2:

Edited by shep48

Well, on decisions I have to make a list. So, here is what I can think.

Reasons to leave:

1. It is less money

2. The other server seems to run better.

3. Current service was not involved with the problem, until they learned GC was about to leave.

4. The new company seems like they want our business.

I would guess that if one is to ignore the personal side of things, there wouldn't be an issue with changing servers. However, the reasons to stay:

1. A company with a personal touch? How many places are like that anymore? This one, though only counting as one, should equal two reasons to stay.

2. Service was fine in the past (assumption on my part, but if it isn't true, then why have they held GC's servers for so long?).

3. Once asked to fix the problem, they did (or seemingly so). [This with the caveat that they fixed it after they thought GC was leaving.]

So, if (loyalty) and the personal touch are not involved in this decision, then I see no reason why a change shouldn't take place. You have a better server, for less of a price; money and quality talks.

I think that we should leave xgs and go with the better company. i think 99% agree that a2g has some great servers and want us. Think about it this way xgs didnt decide to help us with our issues untill we decided that we want to switch companies indicating that they are only willing to do whats nessary. xgs also tried to use the fact that they were a sponsor at ff05 which they were and they did a good job too but to use that as a reason we should stay, no they sponsored us and we lived up to what we were sponsored for.

I have to say go with a2g I think.

I have to wonder about XGS, they could be just trying to play the guilt trip on us and make it personal when all it really is is business. Also the fact that suddenly our servers run much better seems a bit unsual.

All in all though it sounds like a2g is just plain a better deal. I'll try to test teh whole tour tomorrow to see how it goes. Today it seemed like #2 wasn't quite as good as it has been the last couple days.

Lol, that would be a conspiracy theory. XGS periodically drops us down in bandwidth quailty over time while retaining the same cost. We pitch of fit and think about leaving, PR guy gets defensive, and magically it plays like normal.

Wouldn't that be drama to end all dramas?

My thought is that we shouldnt base this decision on being friendly with our gsp.

It should be performance vs performance, and if we just look at that nobody can say that aim2game is not the place to go. You gave Barry 2 weeks then when you threw the test servers up and really started getting serious about moving then he decided to fix it? The problem hasnt been for 2 weeks, its been almost for 2 months.

If you want to look at who treats us well too then you have to take into consideration how much aim2game is bending over backwards to help us test. They could of been like many other gsp's and not provided a test server. I have done business now with a2g for about 3 months and any question concern or anything they have answered right away and I have discussed where they are going with everything for like 30 minutes acouple of times. I only have a 12 man private, not a big money maker for them, but I asked them if they could help us out and provide a free teamspeak server, bam 20 minutes later its good to go

.....going to drink with roomates, be back later with more words of wisdom