Server Decisions Must Be Made

Fatty

GC Founder
100 tick server = server is running the game at 100 frames per second.

That's not how I understand tickrate....

At any rate (teehee), we'll test the aim2game server first, because they'll do it for free. Clanservers replied:

We don't offer test servers.  However, we have a 5-day refund policy so you could

order the server, and if it's not what you want and it's within 5 days, you can

request and receive a full refund.

Which is nice, but only if a2g fails us.

a2g will be boosted, 100 tickrate, high fps, everything on 64 bit processors....

Test server coming.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GC Founder

Stuttering John:

If this works out with a2g and we move everything off XGS, you'll need to chose between one of the following networks:

Los Angeles:

72.37.147.100:27018

Seattle:

69.90.129.100:27018

i've been talking back and forth with aim2game and artofwarcentral. they both have been responsive and attentive, so that's a plus.

i've been testing artofwar west coast servers and been quite impressed. the price is a definite plus. aowc servers can be tested @ http://www.artofwarcentral.com/main.asp?pa...md=test_servers

they also have datacenters in all of the cities we're in now. haven't asked if linux or windows based.

the aim2game server wasn't anything exciting, even with only 6/27. the ping was good, even with the server being in la and me in the bay area (400mi). choke on the la test server was at 15-25, bursting to 50 in a firefight with the server at 8/27.

I would beg to differ.  If I'm spending your money, I don't really want to send it to a guy who talks about having trouble getting out of bed, etc, openly on their public channel.  I take it into account after spending a couple days in their irc.  It wasn't some snap decision based on one random comment, trust me.

I gotta agree with you fatty on this one. It just doesn't sound very professional or serious. Makes you wonder just how reliable they could be...

8.9.3.247 has people in it playing.  Check it out.

Their servers are by no means pricey.

Going there now. SInce I'm one of the guys having the significant, although not the only one, loss at #2 and #1 figured I'd make a good test pilot. Someone tell my family I love them if I don't make it back.

GC Founder

Ok, here we go:

205.138.197.170:27015

I talked with Sam at a2g also about rates, he uses

cl_updaterate "70"

cl_cmdrate "70"

rate 25000

which I have set mine to for testing purposes.

having it set at 70 will make you not be 100 tick totally, you want to put them at 100 or 101 to use the 100 tic to the max, btw i pinged with hlsw at about 15-20, lowest anywhere.

Fatty how long do we have the test for?

(edited)

We ([VI]) used a company called mammoth servers http://www.mammothgames.com/prices.htm

and they have east,mid and west coast servers. http://www.mammothgames.com/servers.htm

I ping better at thier midwest (chicago) server than any other server in my list, now it is a 1.6 CS server but still.

They also will install everything for you at no extra charge or you can handle it all yourself. We really liked them and it was the cheapest that was worth a crap. We never had any trouble with it and only left because one of our members started a hosting company and does it for free. (does not host any other servers though :( sorry)

I'm personally not looking for better than what we currently use, I always ping good and notice very little loss. On occasion I have seen the whole server lag out for half a map cycle but it doesn't happen too often. if you can't find one the same or cheaper keep the scopeless sever where it is <-my vote

Edited by Preacher

GC Founder

Btw, it's $1 more / month for 333 fps on the server side, compared to 166 fps that they normally run for the public.

Sam said he personally wouldn't get it, as he's not completely convinced yet on boosted for source (his words).

That said, we're going to test at the normal pub 166 rate, which would save us $26 / month on each box.

----

Preach, have you guys ever been able to fill the server to test with actual players (no offense meant, just never seen anyone in there, and that's the only true test). How large of a server is it?

It was last year when we ran on the mamoth servers and we were full all the time without much difference. Since we moved to Kemo's sever our numbers have declined due to many of our guys heading over seas to the sandbox and a few others getting married to non-PC women lol. It's not that we can't fill a server it's that we can't find two VI in one place very often lol.

We ran full all last summer without a hitch. The only time our server ever crashed was when we played homemade maps or tried something new.

The offer a free trial if you want to try one out

We (CsLs) have been using aim to game for a couple of months now, so far so good.

XGS has been good to us so far as I understand it. I think that we should give them every opportunity to solve this situation before we move on, that being said, business is business.

I have been living with choke on Recrud for a couple of months now, I can wait another month for us to narrow this problem down.

GC Founder

I've more or less givin Barry the two week notice. Haven't heard anything else from him other than a couple short emails.

I have indicated to him that I'd prefer he solve the issues.

Ok, here we go:

I talked with Sam at a2g also about rates, he uses

cl_updaterate "70"

cl_cmdrate "70"

rate 25000

which I have set mine to for testing purposes.

Get good connect with this server also.

Around 15 ping with 0 loss 0 choke. When starting a round I get around 0 loss and 7 choke. In a gunfight 0 loss 3-7 choke.

Great connection! Great server!! I just left and it was running 15 players.

Could a summary of what free/test servers are available be posted to this thread periodically (or maybe a new "stuck" topic)? Having one place to check for test server IPs would be easier than scrolling through this discussion to find them all.

I second the notion that investing in quality servers will grow the GC community. The video game market is ever expanding and Valve has demonstrated an ability to stay relevant for three "generations". I will apply for GC admin once I pass my 3 month mark to make my own small contribution to the GC budget in support of moving on to some higher quality servers. Plus leaving my game to find an admin is getting old, fast.

I play from Detroit and usually filtered my server list to <50ms ping. I never knew about #3 until I joined up with GC and learned there was a 3rd server. Hypothetically speaking, had GC been on all west coast servers when I started playing CS:S, I might never have discovered GC. The prospect of GC moving to LA/Seattle gives me a little concern, but I'm also willing to sacrifice ping to stick with GC's well managed servers.

GC Founder

The Seattle / LA discussion is only about #3. We will have 2 Chicago servers of course.

I've renamed the servers 1.5 and 1.6 to 1b and 1c respectively. 1.6 is not a good number to have...i thought about it, but made the wrong decision.

I will post up a current map of what's going on for you right here. However, it's important that members read through this discussion so that they can contribute to the decision.

GC Founder

Current Server configurations:

Server #1 - XGS CHICAGO

69.12.89.1:27015

redirects to

Server #1c - aim2game test server CHICAGO

redirects to

Server #1b - funservers CHICAGO (rented for 1 month cause it was so cheap)

64.34.119.18:27016 (will be removing from redirect rotation soon most likely)

redirects to

Server #2 - XGS scopeless CHICAGO

69.12.89.96:27015

redirects to

Server #3 - XGS - SAN JOSE

69.12.39.15:27015