Server Decisions Must Be Made

Fatty

GC Founder

Ok, these servers are basically gonna cost us $4.50 / slot, which does just fine in our budget.

That leads me to the next question: Who is going to take on leadership in Dallas when we open a server there?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuttering John:

If this works out with a2g and we move everything off XGS, you'll need to chose between one of the following networks:

Los Angeles:

72.37.147.100:27018

Seattle:

69.90.129.100:27018

SEATTLE!!!!

1- Im about 200 miles from there :)

2- Fiberoptic center of the universe. (Know a guy whose cable was almost direct connect to the fiber, we tested his rates on a uncapped cable...maxed out the tester at 36000k bit (36 Mbit)!...anyway yeah

GC Founder

I just finished up 90 minute conv. with Sam from a2g. Great guy. We're really going to be able to work something out nice. The idea of "fleet" rates and/or sponsorships has been opened, and he's going to work on something for us.

He wants me to test something in NY perhaps tomorrow.

Laz: You'll have to send SJ some cash...that decision is up to him for the most part, although perhaps a topic listing traceroutes between the 8 or so west members might be in order.

Tried out the A2G server, I get pretty much the same ping and choke that I do in scopeless, about 10-20 off the ping though. However when I changed my rates to the recommended my ping jumped 20 and my choke locked at 15+ :( ...so far the best connection I've gotten is from funservers (for the record I'm in Montreal which is very close to Burlington Vermont and have a 4.8 mbit/sec connection)

Also, in response to Clueless, before VAC2 I was always first in the server when starting a new map, I'd sometimes have enough time to make it to the other teams spawn before a second person joined, now I'm never first, always middle of the pack...if this even tells us anything... :shrug03:

GC Founder
What is XGS's position in all this?

If they know they might lose the contract, I imagine they'd be scrambling to work something out.

Last week I informed Barry that we had over two weeks to figure something out with our servers.

Yesterday I made sure he understood we were testing other servers.

No signs of scrambling. All this time he has told me it's our setup. We slapped our setup on 2 other boxes and disproved that. We also completely reinstalled #1 and ran it with NOTHING on it at all....and still had the choke, disproving that theory even more.

GC Founder

As I would have guessed, XGS is not taking it well. In fact, he basically classified my attempts to communicate with him about the problems and openly discuss the fact that we need to rectify it before my next renewal as "throwing it in his face that I'm leaving."

I tried to be respectful and professional, and he didn't respond well.

Anyways, I won't make you read any of the emails he sent me....feels like I'm breaking up with a girl or something. No need for everyone to go through it.

One thing, however, for you to test and see if there's any changes:

I checked your server.cfg and its still not running the proper commands. I

simply added a few lines into it that may help but it may not since

everything is backon the server and the config files is way different then

waht we usually use. If its due to the update rates then you should see the

difference. I always suggest you use our configuration for the tweaking

section as the math figures are correct and tested.

Im done with touching the server until I hear from you. Again if you are

going to cancel just let me know before the due date by submitting a support

ticket.

My response to that was that we have simply mirrored 2 exact replicas of the server, and choke was drastically reduced or gone altogether for people.

Last week I informed Barry that we had over two weeks to figure something out with our servers.

Yesterday I made sure he understood we were testing other servers.

No signs of scrambling.  All this time he has told me it's our setup.  We slapped our setup on 2 other boxes and disproved that.  We also completely reinstalled #1 and ran it with NOTHING on it at all....and still had the choke, disproving that theory even more.

Disappointing.

There's no loyalty in business, though. Let's move forward.

I almost always play on server #1, midwest stock. Recently my fps have been extremely low, and my choke has been 0-6. However, my choke skyrockets when I jump or turn quickly, and hits 30+ around smoke or frag grenades.

My choke is uaully around 0-3 on server 1.5, and my fps is around 60-90.

Anyways, I won't make you read any of the emails he sent me....feels like I'm breaking up with a girl or something. No need for everyone to go through it.

HA! Perhaps if he had fulfilled his end of the bargain GC wouldn't need to 'break up' with him. Thanks for all the hard work Fatty :-D

(edited)

After dealing with server rentals for 5 years, I can understand the pain you are going through fatty, and everyone else tring to get things set up. So thanks for doing all of this.

We (my old clan), never found a good one to stay with. We kept one for two years, but then their service became really bad.

Assuming you are still looking at other companies, the company we liked the most was deadly servers.. A nice place to look for rentals is here: clan yellow pages.

Anyway, if the ppl making this decision need more $ to get over the hump of paying for a better server, I would be willing to help.

Edited by duma

Server #1c - aim2game test server CHICAGO

205.138.197.170:27015

me likes server. droped my ping about 20ms i havent played on it yet , pingplotter gives no packetloss. nice like ice

GC Founder

btw, after XGS said this:

I just feel and so does everyone else here that this is soemthing you should

of told us about before and not directly after we put our money into the LAN

event. We did it out of respect not because of anything else as it doesnt

help us in any way.

I offered to reimburse him for his room nights expense and his gas.

I even told him not to make this like we're dating in high school, and that I started this two weeks in advance for a reason. He thinks I've already made up my mind. I told him I have a responsibility to those that hand me money to provide them with servers.

Oh the headache.

btw, after XGS said this:

I offered to reimburse him for his room nights expense and his gas.

I even told him not to make this like we're dating in high school, and that I started this two weeks in advance for a reason.  He thinks I've already made up my mind.  I told him I have a responsibility to those that hand me money to provide them with servers.

Oh the headache.

It's flat-out insulting that he would bring that up. It's two separate issues.

There's a problem on their end that they can't/won't correct. That's the matter at hand. Up to this point their actions, or inactions, support the claim that they won't fix the problem. We are simply reacting to those actions... who wouldn't do the same?

Are they suggesting we put up with less than acceptable service because they were a FF sponsor? That's how I read it.

The ball's in their court. Less whining, more problem solving.